Mage classes weapons

Tailynne - Lost City
Tailynne - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
What is the point of the different mage weapons? I noticed the sword has more magic damage than a glaive or a wand, which makes no sense to me. The magic damage from any weapon applies to spell damage though right? What are some of the pros/cons to the different mage weapons?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheer up little chappy, take your face off my boot
Post edited by Tailynne - Lost City on

Comments

• tankhunter
    tankhunter Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Look at the min and the max on magic weapons. Wands have the lowest damage, but their min and max are only a few points apart, resulting in a much higher level of consistency (also can be refered to as balance). Swords are mid range, they have good damage and a good level of balance. Patrikas are even more inconsistent and have great balance, and Glaives have the highest maximum, and the lowest min. A lucky spike with a Glaive results in some very very high damage, or on the flip side some very very low damage.

So a PvPer would likely go for a glaive, after all, they would only last for a couple hits anyways and if you spike high your target won't be living much longer.

Beyond damage balance its more or less appearance, and which one you can use next.
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    NO DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM! you want to go full axe build for mages, TRUST ME!
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tailynne - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    It'd be hard to imagine anything scarier than gandalf the white with boobies, a fox costume, and a couple of axes. Perhaps you're right...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Prickly - Heavens Tear
    Prickly - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Hello ^^

b:cute
  • Heleina - Sanctuary
    Heleina - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    NO DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM! you want to go full axe build for mages, TRUST ME!

Axe build is scary. The Barbarian Cleric should team up with that character. While the axe mage kills creatures the barbarian cleric helpfully drops healing potions and powders.
  • sarrafeline
    sarrafeline Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    ^^ ROFL

Makes me laugh when I see level 4 Venos running around with bows. ^_^
  • mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'll admit light & heavy armors are fun & look smexy on a veno, but that's all it's good for...here's why..

*** your character will be a hybrid;

heavy / light armors will severely dampen your magick abilities / skills because of the higher strength & dexterity requirements to wear them.

your only choice will be to stay in fox form for the added armor defense values (at lv 2 fox form it nearly doubles defense) - so i suggest light armor because heavy just don't have enough resistances for mid lv magick mobs

not many people like to invite hybrids to their mid & higher lv parties because they know a hybrid won't do the same job that THEY are used to, whether or not you can out perform the cut & dried full versions

*** If using melee weapons, you must still carry a magick weapon to use skills (put them both on hotkeys) - if you forget to equip a magick weapon before changing to fox, your doomed, you can only use 3 skills in fox form if a melee weapon is equipped

ok, so you remembered to equip the magick weapon before changing to fox, humm what lv is that weapon?, it's not even close to your lv - oops that's right, it's because there's not enough stats in magick to equip one

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

this defeats the purpose of changing to fox, especially in PvP, while the hybrid is doing steady & mediocre damage, your opponent will likely be doing steady & heavy damage = hybrid dead (every time), unless your opponent is also a hybrid, then only 50/50 LOL

not interested in PvP?, ok, this brings us back to the beginning - for fun on the side only, unless you have many higher lv friends that are willing to carry your mixed up toon past mid lv (bring wines), you'll likely get stuck for spiritual cultivation at lv 49 - these are what i like to call BS bosses (Bull S***), because they are not Call of Duty

Yeah, i too have a melee veno, she's semi-retired at lv 14 (aka storage space)

hope this helps happy holidays
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • Tailynne - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    While I appreciate the tips, I think you missed my point. I'm not trying to hybrid nor am I serious about axes. =)

I was just looking at the different magic weapons and didn't know why I had so many choices. =)

On another note, that Gandalf spoof would make a GREAT siggy, no?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    mogwai wrote: »
    I'll admit light & heavy armors are fun & look smexy on a veno, but that's all it's good for...here's why..

*** your character will be a hybrid;

heavy / light armors will severely dampen your magick abilities / skills because of the higher strength & dexterity requirements to wear them.

your only choice will be to stay in fox form for the added armor defense values (at lv 2 fox form it nearly doubles defense) - so i suggest light armor because heavy just don't have enough resistances for mid lv magick mobs

not many people like to invite hybrids to their mid & higher lv parties because they know a hybrid won't do the same job that THEY are used to, whether or not you can out perform the cut & dried full versions

*** If using melee weapons, you must still carry a magick weapon to use skills (put them both on hotkeys) - if you forget to equip a magick weapon before changing to fox, your doomed, you can only use 3 skills in fox form if a melee weapon is equipped

ok, so you remembered to equip the magick weapon before changing to fox, humm what lv is that weapon?, it's not even close to your lv - oops that's right, it's because there's not enough stats in magick to equip one

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

this defeats the purpose of changing to fox, especially in PvP, while the hybrid is doing steady & mediocre damage, your opponent will likely be doing steady & heavy damage = hybrid dead (every time), unless your opponent is also a hybrid, then only 50/50 LOL

not interested in PvP?, ok, this brings us back to the beginning - for fun on the side only, unless you have many higher lv friends that are willing to carry your mixed up toon past mid lv (bring wines), you'll likely get stuck for spiritual cultivation at lv 49 - these are what i like to call BS bosses (Bull S***), because they are not Call of Duty

Yeah, i too have a melee veno, she's semi-retired at lv 14 (aka storage space)

hope this helps happy holidays

wow? are u stupid? heavy armour veno's are the single BEST 1v1 class in the game. do you even know what your talking about? HA venos stick with mirage sword...

PRICKLY, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwai
    edited December 2008
    sticky, i'll just hold true to your siggy
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    mogwai wrote: »
    sticky, i'll just hold true to your siggy

what level are you?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwai
    edited December 2008
    which? ive had 10 toons from closed

Edit: 14* lol
    edited December 2008
    then you have no clue what you are talking about. a level 74 HA veno with hercules can completely destroy me, unless i spark.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwai
    edited December 2008
    anybody that spends or causes to be spent 150 -330 dollars can pwn anyone
    edited December 2008
    ok fine, a level 74 veno with kowling can completely destroy me...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwai
    edited December 2008
    maybe youd like some help with your build? kowlins r junk lv'd mine to 70 & sold it
    edited December 2008
    u dont understand..... HA veno, foxform=debuffs. thats all they need to take you out.... they debuff you with accuracy, amplify damage, and your done...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwai
    edited December 2008
    did u read my advice? -- fox equipping melee weapon cant use those skills
    edited December 2008
    why would they wear melee weapons?
    and going back to your "advice" id much rather have a fox form LA or HA veno in my party. more debuffs+amp damage, purge, much more useful than a full magic veno

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwai
    edited December 2008
    looks like we stole the thread

a gr8 way to pass maint too lol
  • mogwai
    edited December 2008
    why would they wear melee weapons?

your 1st post suggested it
    edited December 2008
    jesus you are stupid arent you? VENOS DONT WEAR MELEE WEAPONS. PERIOD. HA venos STICK WITH MIRAGE SWORD. LA venos can still use magic weapons.... jesus...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwai
    edited December 2008
    re-read the entire thread plz

p.s. im done...off to greater things than to discuss what i already know
  • Tailynne - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    This has been a great show guys, plz keep it up. 10 more minutes till servers back up. I need a little more distraction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    omg is this kid stupid? mirage sword is a magic weapon... rofl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tailynne - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    omg is this kid stupid? mirage sword is a magic weapon... rofl

=) bla bla bla makin' it 10 chars long
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    250'th post, i expect gratz!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tailynne - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    I don't think so, I just wanted to post a smiley at your comment, but it wouldn't let me. Does something cool happen at 250?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.