Another mage build question, specifically for me

wyatterp
wyatterp Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Wizard
Before i get ruined for starting this topic again, let me be specific about what i am asking and i would appreciate everyones help

I am trying to figure out the best build for me and am very torn between light/robe/heavy mag/str/vit etc

All these topics have been confusing since everyone seems to be 79+ when they give their advice. Lets say i am lvl 60-80, and all players i am going against in TW/PK are the same range. I am looking for Solo pk, maybe one partner. And TW. I will figure out how to best deal with the PvE element, cause we all know if you play any build properly you can survive it. I only care about surving Pk and TW

What would you recomend as a build? I am lvl 60 pure int right now and do some serious damage but get killed pretty quick. I am not going to have money to highly + eq so lets say it all will be +2 to +4, gr5 6 and 7 stones since i will not have lots of money for that either.

Pandoras guide was very helpful, but focused on nuker vs light. There are cons builds, heavy, dex etc that are not talked about. I am a high lvl archer from Oracle but most mages i talk to there give me the same lvl 99+ advice i am not looking for

Any suggestions on build and armor type for me? Thanks
Post edited by wyatterp on

Comments

• Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    wyatterp wrote: »
    Before i get ruined for starting this topic again, let me be specific about what i am asking and i would appreciate everyones help

I am trying to figure out the best build for me and am very torn between light/robe/heavy mag/str/vit etc

All these topics have been confusing since everyone seems to be 79+ when they give their advice. Lets say i am lvl 60-80, and all players i am going against in TW/PK are the same range. I am looking for Solo pk, maybe one partner. And TW. I will figure out how to best deal with the PvE element, cause we all know if you play any build properly you can survive it. I only care about surving Pk and TW

What would you recomend as a build? I am lvl 60 pure int right now and do some serious damage but get killed pretty quick. I am not going to have money to highly + eq so lets say it all will be +2 to +4, gr5 6 and 7 stones since i will not have lots of money for that either.

Pandoras guide was very helpful, but focused on nuker vs light. There are cons builds, heavy, dex etc that are not talked about. I am a high lvl archer from Oracle but most mages i talk to there give me the same lvl 99+ advice i am not looking for

Any suggestions on build and armor type for me? Thanks

1) Heavy mage is ****. 22k pdef buffed is great and all but the way diminishing returns work, heavy mage is a totally useless build. You don't gain enough resistance to make up for the fact that your HP pool is tiny and you'll still die.

2) Dunno what a "str" mage is.

3) Vit mages are ****.

Now...

If you want to PVP, light armor, ESPECIALLY for solo ganking. The builds I don't discuss in my mage guide are not discussed because they are not practical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Update:

I have added an "other builds" section to my guide detailing why other builds aren't practical. Hope it helps future mage players.

Heavy Mage:
    Problem #1: You don't have enough Mag to equip a weapon of your level, which means you're equipping a lower level weapon which gimps your damage tremendously. Problem #2: This game has diminishing returns. That means that the difference in ACTUAL REDUCTION (I.E: How much your damage is reduced) between 1000 and 2000 pdef is MUCH bigger than the difference between 5000 and 6000 pdef. Yes, heavy mages over 100 can get over 22,000 Pdef selfbuffed, but that really doesn't help you when the reduction of your pdef is only 4-5% more than a light armor of your level. You're trading a LOT of damage and some crit for 5% reduction? Come on. That 5% less damage does NOT help you when your HP pool is too small to support it. This build is a joke build only for people who like to see huge useless numbers next to their physical resistance. Next!

Vit Mage/Hybrid Mage:
    Of all the "other builds", this one is the closest one to being useful. Vit mages are robe mages who put points into vitality. Exactly how much they put in varies from mage to mage, but all of these mages have one thing in common. They have the same or less survivability than a light mage, with less crit rate and the same damage. You'll be able to take a few hits from a warrior, but not much because we have the lowest vit-to-HP ratio in the game (10 HP per vit, that means if you put in 50 vit you only gained 500 hp...), and if you're going to be in robes anyway you absolutely do not need additional hp for magic spells. Light armor offers more survivability along with a raised crit rate for increased offensive ability.

Melee Mage:
    Shut up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • wyatterp
    wyatterp Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Thanks those last two were what i was looking for, i guess i didnt see it the first time through. Light sounds the way to go for me

When i said str build its same as the heavy. Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.