Barbarian or Blade Master?

nectar
nectar Posts: 12 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
I can't seem to decide between those two. I realize that Barbarians are better at tanking and have more superior hp, but how do they do in late game pvps?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NecroVaL - Heavens Tear
    NecroVaL - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Barbarian are the BEST tanking in all classes... None, even the Venomancer's pet can win Barb's in tanking...

BM is more in average to all. Can tank, but not as good as Veno's pet, and Barb... Can damage, but not as good as Wiz or Atk Cleric...
  • Sweaty - Heavens Tear
    Sweaty - Heavens Tear Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Barbs and BMs are totally different characters. Although many BMs think they are tanks they are not they are DD and Barbs are the only real tanks. They dont kill fast but they can take alot of damage. . BMs kill pretty fast and take a devcent amount of damage.
  • Ocane_II - Heavens Tear
    Ocane_II - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Barbs and BMs are totally different characters. Although many BMs think they are tanks they are not they are DD and Barbs are the only real tanks. They dont kill fast but they can take alot of damage. . BMs kill pretty fast and take a devcent amount of damage.

wouldnt that depend on how you build it though?

there isnt any rule in how to build somthing in my opinion, just popular ways to build them, i personally choose not to go by what is often used and what not, i like to find my own ways to go about that wich i think many other people do as well

for instance ive seen blade masters at the same level as me who did more damage but wouldnt last as long and had to heal more

when i focuse on trying to balance the two

i dont do as much damage but i last longer and have less need to heal

its all about personal prefference and what your best at using
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    wouldnt that depend on how you build it though?

Well, it does and it doesn't. The class discussion forums are, indeed, full of discussions about how to make a Barb that can do more damage (at the cost of some tanking ability) or a BM that can tank more reliably (at the cost of some damage dealing). So, yes, you can deviate from the standard with some degree of success. However, the skill tree for a Barb has a lot more tanking-oriented skills than for any other class . This makes them naturally inclined to be tanks (at least for physical atk mobs). The BM skill tree is a bit more varied, but none of the skills are best of breed. Rather, they allow a BM to be a jack-of-all-trades who can either do more solo or fill in (inexpertly) for a variety of needs of a group.

Aside - One exception on tanking is the magic attack bosses where you either need a robe-type who is really confident in his defense or a BM with some decent HP and expertise with the skill that temporarily switches some of their physical defense into magic defense.

Basically, every class's skill tree pushes them naturally to specific roles. You can adjust that around the edges (and with a blademaster you may have more room for such adjustments), but you cannot completely escape it.
  • rolfpwnd
    rolfpwnd Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    lets say barbs in defense BM's are both in atk and def wich makes em perfect fighters so the best squad should be a barb and sum BM's
  • Massimus - Heavens Tear
    Massimus - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    fact is, that bms have only one real aggro skill and that's stream strike
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    fact is, that bms have only one real aggro skill and that's stream strike

And stream strike is not too efficient for that purpose either. Most BM's consider this skill is bugged.

BTW to the OP, there is another tread about this in the general section of this forum. You should check it out
  • Averian - Lost City
    Averian - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    the thing is if you really cant decide, just go with the BM.Cause they are balanced. They are in between so you wont regret as everything is average. BMs are in between dmg dealers and tankers. they are more of support roles for both. They have many stun skills which makes them lean towards a support role in a way. But they are pretty decent soloist as well. Cause they can do everything but just not as well as other classes. So your choice a BM. Many would suggest axe and polearm for you but i would say go with what you like. Even highly unpopular Bms like fist would be good in some way.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Although many BMs think they are tanks they are not they are DD and Barbs are the only real tanks. They dont kill fast but they can take alot of damage. . BMs kill pretty fast and take a devcent amount of damage.

I still consider these are steriotypes on BM.

We are off tank. Which means when you lack a Barb you use a BM.

I also think we are DD not because we do a lot of damage but because the classes that do more damage than us (Archers mostly*), usually pull agro towards them. When they pull agro, the entire squad is in danger now.

* I find this totally hilarious. I was doing My FB59 and the archer pulled agro couple times and got killed. Fortunately, things returned to normal right away every time.

I have a good bow since I have way more DEX than normal. I was attacking with my bow and the archer could not do it. No need to say, I can use my spark eruption with my bow too.b:chuckle Even in this situation I'm a DD.
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Choose neither, they both suck...

Roll a Cleric and heal noobs
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Averian - Lost City
    Averian - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    .... if everyone thought like you... you will die sooner or later... each class have their own role so dont go calling any class suck... i dont deny that a cleric rules but dont discrimate against other classes.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    .... if everyone thought like you... you will die sooner or later... each class have their own role so dont go calling any class suck... i dont deny that a cleric rules but dont discrimate against other classes.

See his signature.
  • nasirxyz
    nasirxyz Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    i''m not a starter or anything i'm just trying to make sure which is better a bm or a barb its kinda confusing me b:surrender......
  • Hollowficate - Archosaur
    Hollowficate - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    im a barb and i b:angry BMS liek this b:shocked and they start b:cry
  • grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Not so epic necro, but still a necro.
    Closed.
This discussion has been closed.