Question about STR/DEX on Swords/Blades

infrosity
infrosity Posts: 9 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Blademaster
Would it be a smart thing to put most points into Dex. Such as just enough Str for swords and heavy armor, and put the extra str points into Dex and of course 1 vit every level? o.o Or is that STR needed more?
Post edited by infrosity on

Comments

• xlovex
    xlovex Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    i don't get the 1 vit every level thing b:laugh

i'm currently experimenting with the mostly dex build, right now my build is

3 str 2 dex a level, though i'm going to try

2 str 3 dex.

right now, I dodge 17-20% of attacks, hit 90-95% of the time, and i'm not taking much damage either =)

so sure, I don't think its a bad idea at all.

though, with that much dex, you're probably be better at pvp than pve.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    infrosity wrote: »
    Would it be a smart thing to put most points into Dex. Such as just enough Str for swords and heavy armor, and put the extra str points into Dex and of course 1 vit every level? o.o Or is that STR needed more?

This sounds like the build I'm using. I'll tell you the reasoning that led me to it and maybe others will point out a flaw we can both learn from.

Points into DEX have to come from either STR or VIT. The DEX points buy you a better hit rate (and eventually a higher crit rate) which can be a tradeoff to the STR points since the lower damage per hit is offset by the higher chance to hit. DEX also buys you better evasion which seems like it ought to be the same kind of tradeoff for VIT (lower ability to take hits offset by taking fewer hits). But, since magic attacks are not affected by evasion (i.e., they always hit), your defense becomes lopsided towards the physical if you pull points for DEX out of VIT. You can address that imbalance through equipment, but that just spreads the weakness around (unless, maybe, you have the ability to maintain both heavy and light armor and switch as needed or you just play a purely support damage dealing role on magic attacking mobs?). For maximum soloing versatility, though, it seems like you should keep up the VIT and pull any points for DEX out of STR (while still spending about half your points on STR anyway for the equipment requirements).