Question about character names and bans

Options
Twilyte - Heavens Tear
Twilyte - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Now, I am not new at this game, but I was rather suprised by something that happened to me yesterday.

I have some family visiting, and some of my much younger cousins saw me playing and asked if they could play. Well, for obvious reasons, I didn't want 7-8 year olds playing on my mains, so I created accounts for each of them.

One named her character, a veno, Star-lyte. Seemed normal enough. No filters went off saying inappropriate characters or what not.

With in 5 minutes of game play, suddenly GM Shiindri (or whatever the name was) teleported the character and locked it claiming a name violation.

I jumped in and asked GM "whats her name" the obvious question (since the name itself wasn't offensive) if the hyphen was the issue and she/he said yes.

It was no big deal to me because the character was so new and I just helped her remake a new one with a new name, but good lord!

I believe if the usage of certain symbols in a character's name will get them banned, please include those forbidden symbols in a name filter upon creation. If I had been a brand new player to the game, trying to get a variation of a name I commonly used, and the name was accepted by the character creation screen, I would assume it was legal. If I then got that character "locked" (I suppose that is a better word since the account itself is not banned) by a GM who said otherwise, I would probably wipe my hands of the game itself since I had very little invested in it by that time.

You only get one chance at a first impression guys, don't **** it up!b:angry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Twilyte - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Wrathx - Heavens Tear
    Wrathx - Heavens Tear Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    In the past few days it seems like a few people have been getting "locked" because of their names. Something should be looked at about it I would think.
  • pwhan
    pwhan Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I have also seen more and more players in the last few days with types of names that were not previously available. Some of those have gotten into their 20s-30s already judging by their armour/weapons. Personally, I would not be very happy at all having a GM show up and lock my character for a name that the filter allowed. I would be even more displeased if they showed up 2-3+ days later when I am 30-40+ and they lock the character.

I realize the GMs are simply doing their jobs, but they are the conduit to the developers and I hope they are doing their very best to convey this issue. Depending on the number of players that take advantage of this, it could easily develop into a catch-22 type issue. those with these names will most definitely want to keep them and be left with a very bad taste in their mouths if their character is locked or they are forced to change the name. And those that wanted such a name in the past, but were unable to get one will likely become disgruntled by the sight of those with names they could not get.
  • Drgnfire - Heavens Tear
    Drgnfire - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ya i understand that is weired why would u get banned by your name lol i have charcters that have - THAT SIGN IN THEIR names lolb:laugh
    Swaqqa of a cripple.
  • Jayson_fall - Heavens Tear
    Jayson_fall - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Sheesh. I hope this doesn't become an issue... All my characters (well, most) are named Something_Fall.b:sad
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ya i understand that is weired why would u get banned by your name lol i have charcters that have - THAT SIGN IN THEIR names lolb:laugh

I've seen some people in their 50's with names like that. The thing is that you can't click their name in the chatbox. You have to manually type out their name.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    All I know is that there is a 8x or 9x character on Sanctuary that has one in her name. That would suck to lose that one simply because they decided to lock characters with certain characters in their name even though the filter allows it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]