Party system......why is it random?

Hazardus - Heavens Tear
Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Suggestion Box
Well, as asked......shouldn't the drop go to the people puling their weight? I.e. most damage given/taken for earning that drop?

I know there is a free distribution but why have a random one? Almost always its the one selected for a party.
When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
Post edited by Hazardus - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Aryannaveno - Sanctuary
    Aryannaveno - Sanctuary Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Random distribution does bug most of us as well. I personally would like it if the drops could be more even to every member of the squad. Like if you have 5 drops and 5 members they get one each one after the other and repeat.
  • Zolaren - Sanctuary
    Zolaren - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I think trying to measure contribution is too difficult. Damage dealt/taken is a start, but that would leave Clerics shortchanged. So you could add in Damage healed. But should that include pots/heiros? And what about buffs - how do you measure that?

And picture this - say I put a lot of money (coins and/or gold) into making a really good piece of armour, while you go with the plain vanilla store-bought version. Now because of this, I take less damage than you ... so I get less loot?

I wouldn't have a problem with excluding players who were meditating/AFK/miles away - but I think everyone else should get equal shares.

Of course, the real problem is there's no mechanism to ensure 'equal shares' ...
  • sweaty
    sweaty Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    There is no mechanism because it is stupid and impossible. To make it fair you would have to know what people are willing to pay for an item, wich changes every day.And it would be no fun if someone didnt get something better than the others every once and a while.
    Giving each drop to the next person as aryan mentioned sees good to me, but I dont understand why random is bad.
    Don't Sweat it.
  • tailzz
    tailzz Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Actually, I find the Random Distribution system a major pain. For example, I was with 2 other people in a party, and most of the time when I got items such as healing potions, weapons and armour, it'd go to those guys.
    And when they got weapons, armour and potions, they'd be able keep it and I got nothing.
    Perhaps I'm just unlucky, but I think it's kind of unfair. I mean, sure, if you're helping a lower-levelled player out, then maybe this system would work. But more often than not, it's an unfair pain.
  • Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary
    Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I don't mind random at all. Sometimes I make out, and other times I don't. It's just what it is...random.

If you have another system like order distribution, people will still complain if every time their turn comes they get a pot instead of something good. b:chuckle
  • Clara - Lost City
    Clara - Lost City Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    thats why I switch Random Distribution to Individual Distribution in the pty menu...its only fair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary
    Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    thats why I switch Random Distribution to Individual Distribution in the pty menu...its only fair

Individual distribution being free? I always turn down free distribution squads. Not fair for ranged players if you have melee players in the squad
  • sweaty
    sweaty Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Individual distribution being free? I always turn down free distribution squads. Not fair for ranged players if you have melee players in the squad

thats true if you are a archer or a wizard for example you will never get anything wjile the barbs and blades will do great.
    Don't Sweat it.
  • Tvali - Lost City
    Tvali - Lost City Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I think the random distribution is important when you're, say, all fighting a boss with a lot of drops. As much as I've seen parties work fine with one person picking a drop, then the next, etc., some people that party don't know each other too well and therefore don't trust each other, so they might set the party to random so that way they can be guaranteed one person won't take all of the drops and leave.

Also, if two people are fighting the same monsters, then it might be hard to tell which deserves the drop. With random, either one of the people can pick it up without it directly going to them, since both players deserve some drops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tvali - Director of the wonderful guild Epitaph.
  • tirandril
    tirandril Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Master loot is a good solution for big bosses, and the random is not good when you make a squad and you take all the potions and your partner take all the equipment (i've seen it 3 hours ago ...)

When you need something, you can say to the other you need it, but he can say "i need it too" and you can kill some monsters to see an other item like this ...
    Tirandril - lvl 2X Archer -Heavens Tear
  • Kyou - Heavens Tear
    Kyou - Heavens Tear Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    The most fair looting system would be a bit different "random cycle" system.
    Whoever picks up the item, next person gets it without fail.

So if there are A, B, C, D, E and F player.
    No importance in who picks it up; the order is that A, B, C, D, E, F player get one item randomly.
    If A, B, C, D and F player got it already, and F didn't, F is the next one that randomly gets it.
    After that, new cycle starts.

Percentage/luck randomness is too weird and can be unfair I suppose.
  • maxrf
    maxrf Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Well the loot system that Kyou talking about is called in most of good games : By Turn
    Wich I'm totally agree is the most fair looting system for MMORPG. Sure it's not perfect and can always be exploited by a selfish person, but at least everyone in party get the same number of items....

To what I seen in others games, there always 3 loot possibility :

Free for all (Picker get it): wich is bad for party, except if you play with nice friends and you planning to share after....

Random : wich most of players will agree that it's not always that random that it supposed to be.... and really not fair over the run when you in big party.

By turn (loots in cycle in party) wich give all the same number of drop to all party members over the run.

So, yeah PWI would really need a "By Turn" looting system.
  • Seilen - Heavens Tear
    Seilen - Heavens Tear Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    sweaty wrote: »
    thats true if you are a archer or a wizard for example you will never get anything wjile the barbs and blades will do great.
    You all keep forgetting most expensive class, clerics.
    When fight end and most of party loots, clerics are usualy still healing up your chars.