Veno's really are the moneymakers of the game!

Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear
Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Venomancer
So I decided to run a test earlier today. It was an hour long, start to finish. The test was to see which would make more money:

A) Setting up a shop in Arch full of tier 2 herbs at a lower than average price

or

B) Starting a venomancer and leveling it up to 10

Well, the Venomancer actually won. In the course of this hour, my shop pulled in 16,782 coins. Leveling my venomancer (after paying for skills, buying pickaxe, etc) ended up with 18,215 coins.

Moral of the story: even if you don't plan on playing a venomancer regularly, they apparently make very nice farm bots ^^

But to be honest, my farmbot experiment is beginning to grow on me. The class is quite fun. My wife's main is a Venomancer, and I've seen that the class doesn't eat up charms like my wizard does, lol.
Post edited by Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• deliciouse
    deliciouse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Whats funny is just yesterday I noticed the same thing. I make more money just selling my drops than I do waiting around for someone to buy my stuff.

I like being a pokemon trainer!....b:laugh
  • siam
    siam Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    What I'm still trying to figure out is how you got to lvl 10 in such a short time...
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    If you know what you're doing, getting to level 10 in an hour isn't that bad.

Venomancer's really are the moneymakers in this game. I buy a lot of cash shop gold with what I make from leveling, so I can buy cash shop items without ever spending any real money on this game. Also, after level 63 or so, venomancers can really start raking it in with HH runs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear
    Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I've leveled a wizard, blade master, cleric, and archer up to at least 20, so veno was my 4th time around. Not only did this make it easier, venomancers seem to level faster. After all, I was level 20 on my wizard when my wife started her venomancer. By the time I hit 34 she was 30...

Plus, I leveled a mage, warlock, rogue, paladin, and priest up to 70 twice on WoW (once for each on Alliance and once for each on Horde) so I'm familiar with questing efficiency. It's even easier during the early levels in this game. How I leveled my veno was easy, take for example when I was level 5 I did all my quests and grinded up to level 6. As soon as I hit 6 I warped to town, turned in all my quests, and dinged 7.

It's all about questing efficiency. You want to complete as many quests in one go as possible. Slow leveling 95% of the time is the result of time lost due to running back and forth between quest hubs and the field. The less trips you have to take, the faster you level. :)
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    To explain, lower level gets more xp for the same kill, so it's more efficient to delay collecting the quest rewards because you delay the moment of leveling up, which also delays the moment your kills yield less xp.
  • talien
    talien Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Another good way to make money with a Veno is warp to Etherblade/Timberfield and tame Magmites (keep an eye out for Snow Hare too while you're there) to vend while you sleep or AFK for more than a couple hours. I sell Magmites for around 2k each and always sell out overnight, it's an easy way to make an extra 25k or so every now and then.
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    turtlewax wrote: »
    To explain, lower level gets more xp for the same kill, so it's more efficient to delay collecting the quest rewards because you delay the moment of leveling up, which also delays the moment your kills yield less xp.

I was under the impression that the xp from monster kills was independent of level. It is a higher percentage, but the same amount. Pets get less xp for kills under their level, but I think regular xp you get the same no matter what level you are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • turtlewax
    edited October 2008
    Now I am in doubt, I'll do a proper test, I've made a try or so and got the impression it xp gained decreased with level, but ... well.
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Exp per monster DOES decrease as you level up, but not so soon as that. For example if a level 4 kills a level 4 monster, they may receive 20 exp. If I kill a level 4 monster, I get 1 exp. I still get the same exp from 41 mobs as I did at 41 even though it's been 7 levels, so it's either very gradual or it just doesn't happen until you're obscenely high compared to the mob.

Worth noting btw that when you test, make sure you count only the mobs with no modified stats. Others give more or less based on the stats (half exp, 1.5x, and 2x).
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • turtlewax
    edited October 2008
    Yes, that was the reason I began to doubt. Thanks for the information. It looks like the more gradual decrease in xp will make quest hoarding less effective.
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    True, but there's still the element that you can only use the free town teleport skill once per hour. Saves walking time at least. :d

On topic: If you think venos are good at making money at the low levels, the higher ones are even better at it thanks to hp/mp skills and intersoul.
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    Aenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Venos are quite nice for making money due to their low upkeep and zero downtime which allows them to kill faster overall than most jobs at low to mid levels.
    Skills like Metabolic Boost, Nature's Grace, and Soul Transfusion definitely help when it comes to plowing thru mobs with zero downtime.
  • Xlittlekitty - Lost City
    Xlittlekitty - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    if you rlly work hard at it and collect all dropings no matter how unuseful it'll be worths it =] the way i know that is when i got to lvl 24 on my veno i got over 200k xD b:victory
  • Foxgodz - Heavens Tear
    Foxgodz - Heavens Tear Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I don't know how u make that many coins.I'm nearly lvl 60 and i'm at an all time low in coins,even lower then my blademaster counterpart.I spend tons on normal skills,tons on pet skills(200k+ each) then during grinding I burn through both hp and mp potions,it's not like the skill to recharge it is usable every 30 seconds,no it takes minutes.And also it feels like every monster in the game is a distance-nuker or has poison/burn when u get to my level meaning u burn through hp/mp pots whether u like it or not.

Now u might say what about rare pets,just take a look how many are camping them.If you decide to only grind on mobs that give good dq items drops then yeah offcourse u can make good coin,every class,with the exception that a veno has to buy and upgrade skills for the pet.Want to have a real chance of getting a cool Kowlin to be useful in TT?Good luck or pay 2 Million coins.Money wasted again not counting on the skills.

Now just imagine when the phoenix comes and I heard it only eats a specific type of fodder.That's over 10k for hay (adjusted to future inflation) just to feed it once every 5 minutes.Every veno who wants to be powerful in pvp or pve with a phoenix/hercule will break bank just to feed the pet,even with the arcane pet book u still have to feed them.Look at all aspects of a veno before judging only those aspects which seem to save some coins.
  • Alliandrin - Heavens Tear
    Alliandrin - Heavens Tear Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I'm level 56 and have none of the same problems.
    I tame pets specific to their uses and skill they already have.
    Also - I use a Guardian Charm. It recharges health at 50%, rather than the mp one at 75%, which I think is a waste. Being Veno though, I wait til my mana is almost out (around 400 or so), and use Soul Transfusion - The Health that I had (usually full or almost full) goes into mana, and the almost empty mana into the health bar - which the charm fills up instantly. It leaves me with full health and almost full mana, within the space of a second. No pots.
    One gold charm (around 400k, though less at the moment, with thanksgiving sale) lasts me over a week.
    As for health pots, I use them, but usually only against bosses - where the apothecary made pots make a HUGE difference, and are free to make, you just collect the herbs.
  • phuquit
    phuquit Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I don't know how u make that many coins.I'm nearly lvl 60 and i'm at an all time low in coins,even lower then my blademaster counterpart.I spend tons on normal skills,tons on pet skills(200k+ each) then during grinding I burn through both hp and mp potions,it's not like the skill to recharge it is usable every 30 seconds,no it takes minutes.And also it feels like every monster in the game is a distance-nuker or has poison/burn when u get to my level meaning u burn through hp/mp pots whether u like it or not.
    Well I'm not quite at your lvl yet, but I think I know where you're going wrong...
    Looks like you're relying on your magic too much, which in turn, is causing you to take damage from stealing aggro. If you're starting to get low on HP, MP, or both, and Metabolic/Nature's is still in cooldown, send in your pet, and just heal it from afar, maybe throwing in an Ironwood once aggro is firmly established on your pet. Sure, it takes a little longer to kill this way, but you're recharging HP and using less MP during this time, and getting closer to using your HP/MP recovery skills again.
    I only ever need to pot if 2 or 3 aggros spawn on me while my pet is already engaged, or during boss fights, and I can still grind all day without meditating, potting, apothecary, or heiros. This also means I make a little extra cash on the side from selling pots.
  • Foxgodz - Heavens Tear
    Foxgodz - Heavens Tear Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Certainly using a Guardian HP Charm makes it a helluva lot easier to not using hp potions because the mobs dies already without your hp charm having to tick twice.So in one way a veno would save more then other classes is in mp potions seeying the 5 minute cooldown on the mp recharge skill almost coincides with the slow usage of mp pots.

Im a hybrid fox(light armor),one of the reasons I made it is because I dislike having more agro then my pet.So the pet does all the agro(golem).In the beginning u could one or two hit a mob like that without need of any pots.But later on mobs are much tougher,unless u have a really good weapon(3tar or better) then u either need to do high damage with magic or wait loooong till ur pet finishes the mob off by itself.One ironwood doesn't do the job.

I think veno's can be decent money makers but certainly not exagerrated like people say.
  • Cardulos - Lost City
    Cardulos - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    So essentially, take on as manny quests as needed in your immediate area, level up as you go, then turn them in, sumultaneously leveling up again? Sounds cool. the problem is im @ level 17 still, though I've been playing for a couple weeks now.

And on the word of XP, dont you just require more experience points (more kills) as you level up? I understand that if you battle monsters weaker than you, you get less, but basically youre supposed to kill more and more as you go right?

Lastly, I have a venomancer on he same sever so, how would her revenue carry over to my main character? if it does, that is.
  • Xlittlekitty - Lost City
    Xlittlekitty - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Phuquit and Foxgodz hash a goods point and thats basicly what i do =] b:pleased

if you rely on magics too much and not ur pet you'll be bound to loose certainly alot of mp, hp, and money :O

=]

Hope no ones gets mads at each other for my comments

Kittyaryn~ aka xLittlekitty~
    ^-^~
    teh Kawaii Asian Kitty~
  • Byr - Lost City
    Byr - Lost City Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I'm level 56 and have none of the same problems.
    I tame pets specific to their uses and skill they already have.
    Also - I use a Guardian Charm. It recharges health at 50%, rather than the mp one at 75%, which I think is a waste. Being Veno though, I wait til my mana is almost out (around 400 or so), and use Soul Transfusion - The Health that I had (usually full or almost full) goes into mana, and the almost empty mana into the health bar - which the charm fills up instantly. It leaves me with full health and almost full mana, within the space of a second. No pots.
    One gold charm (around 400k, though less at the moment, with thanksgiving sale) lasts me over a week.
    As for health pots, I use them, but usually only against bosses - where the apothecary made pots make a HUGE difference, and are free to make, you just collect the herbs.

instead of using your hp charm to fill mana like that, use your soul transfusion at 50% mana so your hp charm doesnt tick and the hp heal. You can usually grind using your hp heal, mana heal and 1 mana potion every 10 minutes if you let your pet tank.
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Certainly using a Guardian HP Charm makes it a helluva lot easier to not using hp potions because the mobs dies already without your hp charm having to tick twice.So in one way a veno would save more then other classes is in mp potions seeying the 5 minute cooldown on the mp recharge skill almost coincides with the slow usage of mp pots.

Im a hybrid fox(light armor),one of the reasons I made it is because I dislike having more agro then my pet.So the pet does all the agro(golem).In the beginning u could one or two hit a mob like that without need of any pots.But later on mobs are much tougher,unless u have a really good weapon(3tar or better) then u either need to do high damage with magic or wait loooong till ur pet finishes the mob off by itself.One ironwood doesn't do the job.

I think veno's can be decent money makers but certainly not exagerrated like people say.

I think the reason that you need to use so many hp/mp pots is because you're using your spells too fast. You don't have to keep casting spells as fast as possible. If you don't want to steal aggro, you can slow down your own attack rate so that you won't out-damage your pets. Other damage dealer classes also do this in boss fights to avoid stealing aggro from the tanks. I'm a full-mag veno, I used to leave the pet setting to "attack" so that it'll run to any mob that I'm attacking and I'd just spam my spells. It worked fine in lower lvls, but now if I do that then the pet will keep loosing aggro. So now I change the pet setting to either "defend" or "manual", then manually command my pet to attack a mob and make sure that my pet gets at least one hit on the mob before my attack lands, and it's working very well for me. Even those of my pets that have lower attacks can keep aggro quite easily this way, and I still kill fast.
  • Albione - Lost City
    Albione - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    yup, moneymakers indeed.

i havent bought a single potion ever, i use only the ones i get from mobs and i still have in excess. I use nature's grace or a soul transfusion-metabolic boost combo to keep my energy above 50% all the time. Im tailor cuz i use a light armor set and an archane armor set, and i still rarely have to resort to buying mats from others. Through cheer luck, i usually endup having the craftsman items i need from mob drops so i dont buy those either, only money spenders for me are weapons (which sometimes i get a guildie to craft with my mats) and skills, not to mention venos rarely repair their equip, so im pretty well off :3
  • minisilvertiger
    minisilvertiger Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    i use a charm/have pots on side for emergencies like when 3 mobs decide to ignore ur pet and go after u. And yes, venos are the moneymakers cause i really don't see the upkeep cost except for the feeding every 5 mins which costs like 20k a week and the occasional wpn repair. And every hour i can make from 100-250k in coins.
  • Devarous - Heavens Tear
    Devarous - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I do agree they are money makers, but when it comes to buying skills, it is more like a money draining process lol.

And yeah, you don't need to buy pots because you have the soul transfusion (so when you have full hp and 25%-50% mana it is ideal to use) and grinding helps when you fight mobs which drops DQ or mats to sell *Leather/Compound Oil sells for high hehe*, also you get most of the pots (healing mostly) from the mobs, and yesterday when I was grinding, I got loads of lucky notes which really helped me having healing pots so I didn't really had to waste my money on healing pots b:chuckle.
  • Urenna - Heavens Tear
    Urenna - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I am bad at making money, but I can say that even with buying pet skills ( bash lvl 3, roar lvl 1, and tough lvl 2 ) and buying my own skills I have rarely had less than 300k. granted, I don't make millions ( not yet ) but I have never hurt for money. Spirit is the most lacking thing b:cry I haven't been selling my dq items. Maybe I should b:laugh

Big helps for me were metabolic boost, natures grace and soul transfusion. while everyone else is meditating I can keep going. I do have times where I run out of mp before my skill cooldown is over, but I just stop casting as much to where my mp lvl needs recharging at the same time my cooldowns end.

I only bought pots once when like lvl 20. Send in your pet first to take aggro. Less dmg taken by you means less pots consumed and less repair costs. with the three skills listed above you should never need pots except for bosses or emergencies. And I don't use charms. Waste of money imo.

I've also got the blacksmith skill and craftsman skills so I never buy weapons or jewelry. I collect mats so my friend can make my apoth pots and armor.

and why do people complain about not having money when most people i see leave all the coin and drops on the ground. b:chuckle more stuffs for me Thanks! b:thanks
  • Dalliah - Heavens Tear
    Dalliah - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I did the same test too, but what i found funny was that I had more Dragon Quest items drop on my Veno then on my other chars.

Like on my Veno, I would get DQ items 50 - 75% of the time, where as my other chars, get the items about 15 - 30% of the time.