Character deletion

talien
talien Posts: 455 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Support Desk
2 questions I haven't been able to find an answer to after reading FAQs and stickies:

How long does it take for a name to become available again after a character is deleted?

If you accidentally click restore on a character that's being deleted, do you have to sit and wait for the full 7 days or is there a way to get the timer to restart from where it was?
Post edited by talien on

Comments

• cyanr
    cyanr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I believe you'd have to wait after 7 days before that character is deleted and whatever it is that you name it under, might also be removed in the games database, thus making that name available once again.
    Human intelligence, personifies human incompetence.
    Inarguably, pessimistic, lost caged instinct euphoria.
    Thee who see without knowing, the vague sentence.
  • talien
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, but I deleted a character and waited the 7 days for the character to be completely gone, but it says the name isn't available and I wanted to reuse the same name.

I figure it either takes longer for the name to be removed or I got unlucky and someone else grabbed it while I was asleep, since the character would've finished being deleted last night sometime.
  • Aryannaveno - Sanctuary
    Aryannaveno - Sanctuary Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    From what I saw from an earlier post by the GM's it takes your character 7 days to get deleted BUT the name won't become available again due to it being saved on the servers.
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2008
    Currently, names are not removed from the database from deleted characters, so once a name's been used it's gone for good. We are looking into changing this, but we are making no promises and have no ETA.

And yes, if you click restore on a character, you will have to wait the full seven days after that for it to be deleted.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• cyanr
    edited October 2008
    surtr wrote: »
    Currently, names are not removed from the database from deleted characters, so once a name's been used it's gone for good. We are looking into changing this, but we are making no promises and have no ETA.

And yes, if you click restore on a character, you will have to wait the full seven days after that for it to be deleted.

Now that you mention it, what happens with the recent versions being implemented, would there be any rollbacks if such system would be rewritten. For example, fully remove all deleted existing user names that the character is already proclaimed deleted, from the server?
  • talien
    edited October 2008
    Ah, thanks for the quick reply, at least now I can stop waiting for the name to be available and pick another one.
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2008
    cyanr wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, what happens with the recent versions being implemented, would there be any rollbacks if such system would be rewritten. For example, fully remove all deleted existing user names that the character is already proclaimed deleted, from the server?
    If such a change does a occur, we will have more information for you then.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• cyanr
    edited October 2008
    surtr wrote: »
    If such a change does a occur, we will have more information for you then.

AHHH! Glad to know X) b:laugh
  • hargeva
    hargeva Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I have to compliment the GM's & Admin's of this game.

They actually work, and listen to the people. Good Job!

As for th name thing. That would be a plus if such a reusable feature or something could happen in the future.

With the increase of players, it does get hard to choose a name, and seeing people running around with _(name)_ ^&*^%, and runner12345 names like that kind of takes away from the whole RPG experience, but that can happen in any MMORPG, but if such a name system would be usable in the future, and allow us to reuse deleted names, and such, it would be great b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've Been Broken For A Long Time, And I'm Searching For The Light Again!

Myspace = /darkwizard1982
This discussion has been closed.