Updating sputter sputter dead?

tehnightwolf
tehnightwolf Posts: 20 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Support Desk
Ya like it will update a few files and then like it will stop in the middle of elements.data

yes I looked at a few other threads, tried them like restarting it, but after doing it a few times, it would not even go up the the point where it was before. So I try to update it manually and that still doesn't work, like the file is trying to be picky. If I try to download something off topic, not on the site, it downloads just fine, it's just this website I think, what Can I do? heck all I want to do is just play the game., b:irritated

not to mention all these time outs, with the Try Again?

please hang up and dial again
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by tehnightwolf on

Comments

• gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    The manual patcher server has been a little bombarded recently, so downloading that can be slow.

If you're having difficulty getting the patcher to work, try opening your firewall (both hardware and software) to IP address 64.74.217.11
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • batsu
    batsu Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I posted about this issue right after patch 16 came out, on another thread that had discussed the issue:

Edit: Someone posted a link to the updated element and task data files. I downloaded them and replaced them in my game folder. The game updated perfectly after that. Here is the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LBDT4SWS

unrar the two files and replace them in your Perfect World International\element\data folder. The update should go through without a hitch for the reamining files.

Good luck

The element.data and task.data files seem to be the only files that hang in the patcher. Since everything else patches quickly and smoothly, I can't see it as a firewall or ISP issue, but rather an issue with those two files and the patcher itself. Anyway, once I downloaded those files from megaupload and put them in the folder I described, my patch went through in about 10 seconds and I was playing in no time.
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    Wow, it really worked.. for a minute though... there wouldn't be a iconlist_guild,dds rar file by any chance would there? it went a little ways and stoped, the 2nd time just decided to be emo and stop lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gattsuru
    edited October 2008
    Since everything else patches quickly and smoothly, I can't see it as a firewall or ISP issue, but rather an issue with those two files and the patcher itself.
    It seems to be due to how the updater and most software and hardware firewalls work. I've personally verified the issue on a WinXP SP3 machine; it seems like you get dropped or delayed packets due to the default software firewall and the entire thing times out. Those two files are the most likely to fail, simply because they're among the largest being downloaded.
    there wouldn't be a iconlist_guild,dds rar file by any chance would there? it went a little ways and stoped, the 2nd time just decided to be emo and stop lol
    I would strongly advise using the manual patcher if you're still having issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »

like it just sits there in my download que and doesn't do anything :/ like nothing is going on, no KB going in -.-

I don't use SP3, I have SP1 for reasons, they are so annoying when your busy, random junk pops up telling you one thing or another, I turn the firewall off and even make sure it's off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gattsuru
    edited October 2008
    like it just sits there in my download que and doesn't do anything :/ like nothing is going on, no KB going in -.-

But you get the name and location data? That's... odd. Are we talking instant failure, or does it get a few kilobytes in and fall apart?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    it gets a quick few kilobytes in and then kills it's self >:( I don't get it everything else downloads fine from all the other websites.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    I wne to try it out again and yeah, it starts out at 11.2KB/S and like slowly it starts to dwindle down (what the helll? 11 KB? normal is like 150+)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gattsuru
    edited October 2008
    Hm... I expect the update server is getting slammed, but that's still much slower than the connections I can get here.

Can I ask where your connection is physically based, and with what provider?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saint82
    saint82 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    hmm am having a same problem while updateing... i have game version 16 but still my game didnt start coz i get no ping from any of the 3 servers and when i try to update it online it says... UPDATING ERROR... plz help me on this.
    LIVE N DIE WITH HONOR
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    Like in California, provider is like Earthlink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I've heard, if you reinstall it, it should work.

Only now mine's getting stuck on file iconlist_ivtrf.txtb:sad
    B)
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    Can someone like download all the files and put it into a RAR file, and send it up into mega upload or rapidshare or something? it would help alot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2008
    Many of the files, including badwords and iconlist, are not physical files in and of themselves but part of file archives and cannot be sent or accessed individually. I would recommend trying the manual patch if you have not already done so.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    Well thats kinda what I ment, could someone like pack up the patches into a RAR file and send them to me,

haha lol indiviuall files lol thats a good one

I tried reinstalling the game, and some files went by pretty fast (turned out it did the same on the previous ver.) hopes were to high on false hopes >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    Ok SO I got the game to work, on a Monday, right b4 the servers to shut down, it was neat, but is there a place for Game Ver 17? it like sticks on this skillstr.txt -.- (I'd like manual patching, downloading from his website is like impossible ;-; except for very small things that actually slip by, like the torrent for PWI >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    ya like patch 16-17 isn't it? can some1 get it to meeee? like my patcher just one work, lucky me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    The game version is now 18.

You will need to update from within the front-end of the game. If it hangs for you after 5 mins, exit the game.

Restart the game, and resume download to get the patch process started again.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    cough I've tried that with every patch, till I've gotten the 1-16, I've done the exit and all that jazz, I also let it go the whole day and it sticks to this skillstr.txt, it finishes halfway, and then sputters dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gattsuru
    edited October 2008
    Please (temporarily) turn off your Windows Firewall, if it is on. Make sure that any other hardware or software firewalls allow access to :

Some players have had luck renaming the file they're stuck on to _old and trying again. Others have had better luck with the East Asian Language pack/support installed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    aggh I has no fire wall (stated previously, if not seen) and I has azn languages, I have it for college n junk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    it seems to stop on gshop.data. it says it's done, like the bar is at 100% but it goes no further b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehnightwolf
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I have that problem of nothing downloads off this website, so could someone upload (patch 16-18) it to like rapidshare and send me the link please? it would be really cool if someone could do that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.