When playing MMO games....

Drazo - Heavens Tear
Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Off-Topic Discussion
Do you usually like to play alone, make many friends/play teamed up or a mix of both?

I like to be the lone-warrior type but I may invite people I already know on. :)
Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
Post edited by Drazo - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• kargor
    kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I ended up going "more and more" towards the solo side; making builds that rely on having certain other characters around is just too unreliable.

As a result of this, my characters aren't generally the ones wanted for parties --- for example, I don't usually have AoE spells, powerful heals or lots of buffs. So instead of trying to get into some party-dungeon thing with a solo-oriented character, I just dump dungeons, "raids" and other stuff.

I'm also not usually looking for a guild, and certainly not a random one. I auto-reject guild invites since I don't really understand why I should "join" a group of people I don't know, just because someone was camping in town for newbies. And doesn't bother talking to people, just popping up random guild invites.
    I often see people looking for party members even though they have a guild name displayed on their chars, so that doesn't seem to change anything on such guilds.

Along the same lines, I usually end up rejecting party invites as well. Funny enough, with a solo-build and sufficient experience with such setups (like I always zigzag through monsters to avoid aggroing them, I try to stay in locations with enough space to maneuver and an exit route that's reasonably safe, stuff like that) it apparently looks like I'm in full control of everything and just mowing through the monsters --- which seems to make people pop up party invites. As for Perfect World, I don't even know anything about parties yet, like whether you get an exp bonus, so right now I also reject all those invites.

If someone wants help, talk to me first. If there is no bonus and no help required, why go through the exp sharing and drop distribution hassle with parties? Without a party I can just sit down to regenerate mana, without leeching from anyone.

I'm always up for helping someone with whatever comes up that I can help with --- I often end up getting newbies on my friendlist for that reason, since few people seem to answer questions. I just don't like random whatever-invitations, be it guild, party or friendlist.

Like in this other game. I often came past this spot where melee-range characters tend to have problems because there is a quest that requires killing a good number of rather annoying ranged chars. So every now and then when I travelled along that route a party invite pops up, nd I reject it. I know "damned well" what you want, but I'm not your general helping bot. Except for this other time, when someone actually sent a PM asking me whether I could spare a few minutes to help with the hunters. Works much better with me.

I guess I'm lucky that female characters aren't particulary new in MMO"RP"Gs. So far, I never received a random marriage request :-)

Come to think of it, I pretty much dropped all forms of trading, too. Too much hassle, in most cases, and I'm not buying the overpriced trash just because it has some stupid stat bonus anyway.

Without access to dungeon bosses and the restricted inventory space I just dump everything that I don't need on NPCs rather than trying to sell to players. Haven't looked into Perfect World alchemy yet, so maybe I'll use some materials for levelling alchemy in the future instead of NPCing them.

In Domo I did make a bit of extra cash by AFK-farming materials, but that's about it. And so far, I haven't seen any AFKable activity in Perfect World, so no trading for me.

So much for the "massively multiplayer" in MMO"RP"G. I used to play less solo in the years before games went "massively multiplayer".
    Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
    Getting too grindy by now :-(
  • Brimsheen - Sanctuary
    Brimsheen - Sanctuary Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I like a good roleplaying guild or game. Of course, I loner it unless something attracts my attention, but I believe a good roleplay guild is crucial.
    Souls yearn to live a hero, but even moreso, a soul yearns to die a Legend
    -Brimsheen, Mercenary for hire (16 and rising. My avvy lies)
  • Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary
    Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I'm an unguilded loner. Don't like the drama and pressures of being in a guild. And besides, guilds usually don't want Venos, too many of us around! lmao

I'm usually busy whispering to friends I've made. I like being able to do my own thing. Farm for mats, or go do this quest or that. I'm also one of the people that whispers to others that are asking questions in general chat.

The hardest part is finding people to help with things like FB's and certain bosses. I didn't do FB19 till I was level 34 or thereabouts. A friend and I did it together and it was fun. Didn't have to wait around forever, fewer mistakes, and no deaths!

I will disregard random squad invites. If someone talks to me and asks me to help, I'll generally say yes. b:victory

Fun fun!
  • Funky - Heavens Tear
    Funky - Heavens Tear Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I like to solo a lot, but I also enjoy a good party every now and then.
    Won't you take me to Funkytown
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I tend to solo in other MMOs, and would rarely party with anyone. But in PWI, I love partying with people, and I love being in a faction. I have some people to talk to when I'm bored or in a jiffy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _blackrose_ - Sanctuary
    _blackrose_ - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I usually solo but sometimes if someone sends me a party invite and we are killing the same monsters I join.
    Most of the time I ignore invite because there is no point of joining a party and I only have one or two more monsters to kill. I was in a guild, but I'm starting to think that I should stick to myself because the guilds I have joined either don't want to help others or no one is ever on. It was majorly annoying when I was in Lost City so I decided to reroll on Santuary.
    Fear is a mind-killer. - me
  • Juvart - Sanctuary
    Juvart - Sanctuary Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I'd have to say when I am leveling I like to be alone. BUT I am also the type to make lots of friends eventually. The more friends I have on a game, the more likely I am to stay on the game.

For example: GTH small community than most games but I knew everyone practically, well all the high levels that spoke english. Lol and also fooled around on world chat creating more and more friends that soon out leveled me.

Rohan: ALL my friends on a different server known as Torian, in their guild KoB. I was on Silvia...it got boring I didn't want to re-lvl on Torian, so I quit. Lmao Still debating though...cause my friend is bribing me with prem. xP
    [SIGPIC]http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7690/realnuitsigzt3.png[/SIGPIC]
    Juvart Lvl 20-Sanctuary Nuit Lvl 10-Lost City
  • Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I find forums a good way to get to know people first. :P
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • roxy
    roxy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I like being in parties so I got someone to talk to - rather than bore myself to death.
    6to4uv.jpg

To the world, you may be one person
    But to one person, you may be the world
  • Avernus - Lost City
    Avernus - Lost City Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    What Kargor said.
  • Wmdpurifier - Sanctuary
    Wmdpurifier - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    kargor wrote: »
    I ended up going "more and more" towards the solo side; making builds that rely on having certain other characters around is just too unreliable.

As a result of this, my characters aren't generally the ones wanted for parties --- for example, I don't usually have AoE spells, powerful heals or lots of buffs. So instead of trying to get into some party-dungeon thing with a solo-oriented character, I just dump dungeons, "raids" and other stuff.

I'm also not usually looking for a guild, and certainly not a random one. I auto-reject guild invites since I don't really understand why I should "join" a group of people I don't know, just because someone was camping in town for newbies. And doesn't bother talking to people, just popping up random guild invites.
    I often see people looking for party members even though they have a guild name displayed on their chars, so that doesn't seem to change anything on such guilds.

Along the same lines, I usually end up rejecting party invites as well. Funny enough, with a solo-build and sufficient experience with such setups (like I always zigzag through monsters to avoid aggroing them, I try to stay in locations with enough space to maneuver and an exit route that's reasonably safe, stuff like that) it apparently looks like I'm in full control of everything and just mowing through the monsters --- which seems to make people pop up party invites. As for Perfect World, I don't even know anything about parties yet, like whether you get an exp bonus, so right now I also reject all those invites.

If someone wants help, talk to me first. If there is no bonus and no help required, why go through the exp sharing and drop distribution hassle with parties? Without a party I can just sit down to regenerate mana, without leeching from anyone.

I'm always up for helping someone with whatever comes up that I can help with --- I often end up getting newbies on my friendlist for that reason, since few people seem to answer questions. I just don't like random whatever-invitations, be it guild, party or friendlist.

Like in this other game. I often came past this spot where melee-range characters tend to have problems because there is a quest that requires killing a good number of rather annoying ranged chars. So every now and then when I travelled along that route a party invite pops up, nd I reject it. I know "damned well" what you want, but I'm not your general helping bot. Except for this other time, when someone actually sent a PM asking me whether I could spare a few minutes to help with the hunters. Works much better with me.

I guess I'm lucky that female characters aren't particulary new in MMO"RP"Gs. So far, I never received a random marriage request :-)

lol dude, i'm fairly like that but with 1 exceptions... i will accept random party invites and guild invites but if i see the guild or party has not fun or very stupid (e.g draws unintended aggro to often) then i'll leave....but i solo most of the time even though i'm cleric (been healer or fighter in most mmos i've played).

You should consider partying has it makes the time fly by and its pretty fun.....not to mention having some one covering ur back is very nice....yeah....but that said i do perfer soloing for the one fact i like to be able to do things on my own....my builds on all mmos have been ether tanker or support but ether way my builds allow me to solo effectivly cos chances r that u will not have a party much of the time....specailly if ur on sanctuary....since not to many on that server yet (i'm on that server).

Soloing is good for building experiance of the game but sometimes it is better (and more fun) to party...any way ur choice in the end so i'm gonna shut up now lol b:shutup
  • Rokurion - Heavens Tear
    Rokurion - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Usually I stick it solo when I start I won't accept random party invitations usually because I tend to be much quicker at killing creeps than others considering how many MMO's I've played through to the final level gotten bored and moved on to the next and I just end up getting less experience than normal.

However I usually accept random guild invites stick around for a bit see if its actually a group of worthwhile people and if not I'll just say best of luck to them and go off on my own again. And if I join its just more motivation for me cause I know I hate being one of the weaker people in the guild and if I like the people I'll usually work a little harder to get to be one of the top players in the guild.

I will usually help if someone asks for help too though just kinda pisses me off when people randomly send you an invite before they actually tell you why.
  • angelicscars
    angelicscars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I usually play alone, I'm a loner and outsider in the real world so I guess I have learned not to trust in people.
    Maybe because always being left alone made me learn to be with myself. I somehow want to show people I can do everything on my own because I always got teased. And I'm a perfectionist >:3 Somehow I nowdays feel that others are messing with my systems.
    But with bosses and difficult quests I team up with friends and people who are also doing the same quest or with quildmates willing to help me.
    And if someone asks me to help, I'm always there. ^^
    I still like making friends because I like to chat with them :3
    Autumn's sweet, we call it fall
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordwicked
    lordwicked Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Lone Wolf, but I sometimes get into party`s. When I`m AFK
  • Akine - Heavens Tear
    Akine - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    depends on my mood b:cute
  • shadowrunners
    shadowrunners Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Its hard for me to say really.

I guess when I was younger I was always the adventurer, and enjoyd lots of company, and helping out.

As I got older (Maybe it was the constant betrayl, backstabbing, or Anime & Kung Fu Movies), I eventually started to become the lonewolf, who stop trusting everyone, and evetually just went out in the middle of nothing, and just stayed there, and would constantly watch over the people, and save those that needed saving.

I found out as I got older that partying got me nothing, but being used, and letting others take all the credits etc!