Confused by the guide :-(

Options
kargor
kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Venomancer
Well, I tried to read it :-) Thing is, from the looks of it, the huge thread that's attached to it seems to mix up two very distinct builds There's one guy who seems to like "Robes", which also seems to translate to a classical "pure int" aka glass cannon mage build. Whereas other people say Robes suck because you quickly die to anything physical, which also appears to be the opinion of the guide writer. Which meant that originally I thought I should do Light Armor --- I wonder where I got that idea from.

It does, however, appear that the "robes suck" faction is mostly concerned with PvP. Myself, I have no interest in PvP at all, so anything that helps me there is completely wasted. Or is PW like a certain other game where the monsters have the "same" classes as the players, so when the guide thread talks about certain classes **** you they actually mean monsters of these classes?

So, simple question: is the "Robe" variant suitable for soloing? Suitable for getting "somewhere" in the game --- preferably everywhere, except boss raids and big party stuff like that? Can it survive without a healer in his back and a warrior upfront, and without running away 50% of the playtime, and potting the other 50%?

It appears that I have a choice of pets --- will I pull aggro off my pet all the time if I choose one with high HP/defense/whatever? Will I have to recast (Resurrect? Get a new one? Not into PW yet...) my pet all the time if I choose one with high offense? Or is the golem the ultimate uber pet with everything high? :-) It seems to be the common recommendation, and the fact that the PvPers don't like it makes it look even better :-)
Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
Getting too grindy by now :-(
Post edited by kargor on

Comments

• tankbuster
    tankbuster Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Most of the questions would probably fall under play style.

I'd recommend experimenting with light armor and robes, maybe even heavy armor, though to see which suits you best.

Same thing for pets, tank pets are obviously best at taking the brunt of physical damage and so on with the other types (damage being for fast kills and whatnot). I've noticed a lot of venos use crystalline/volcanic magmites because they have high hp and can survive with multiple enemies attacking. Concerning the damage dealing pets, as long as you keep watch on their hp you won't have much trouble with them dieing, and if they do you can resurrect them.

Sorry I couldn't really give a definite answer, I'm not sure how you'd like to play the game, it is your character and pet after all to do what you wish with.
  • kargor
    kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Well, "most obviously" I can't just try out different builds, since like most F2P games this one probably requires cash shop to change the build.

I suppose I'll just stick with the mage style. Can always move to another game if it doesn't work out.
    Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
    Getting too grindy by now :-(
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    If you're going to focus on PvE only, it really doesn't matter what armor type you use as a werefox. You can run around naked and be perfectly fine for the difference the armor makes. You'll still have your pet tank for you, you'll still run away when you get aggro'd by something that spawns right on top of you, and you'll still run away if you accidentally pull more than one monster, you'll still take heavy damage from anything that aggros you (whether it be physical ranged or magic ranged, depending on your armor type), etc.

If you do do robes, just be sure to take things slow, and learn how to not steal aggro from your pet. Your pet tanking with you healing will kill monsters than you throwing everything you've got and then being chased around for a minute while you try to get aggro back onto your pet.

Golem will be good enough. It's got high p.def, decent m.def, high hp, and high attack. The only thing you might have trouble with are magic bosses. Normal magic monsters will still be easy for you to handle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    Just_cool - Lost City Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    kargor wrote: »
    Well, I tried to read it :-) Thing is, from the looks of it, the huge thread that's attached to it seems to mix up two very distinct builds There's one guy who seems to like "Robes", which also seems to translate to a classical "pure int" aka glass cannon mage build. Whereas other people say Robes suck because you quickly die to anything physical, which also appears to be the opinion of the guide writer. Which meant that originally I thought I should do Light Armor --- I wonder where I got that idea from.

It does, however, appear that the "robes suck" faction is mostly concerned with PvP. Myself, I have no interest in PvP at all, so anything that helps me there is completely wasted. Or is PW like a certain other game where the monsters have the "same" classes as the players, so when the guide thread talks about certain classes **** you they actually mean monsters of these classes?

So, simple question: is the "Robe" variant suitable for soloing? Suitable for getting "somewhere" in the game --- preferably everywhere, except boss raids and big party stuff like that? Can it survive without a healer in his back and a warrior upfront, and without running away 50% of the playtime, and potting the other 50%?

It appears that I have a choice of pets --- will I pull aggro off my pet all the time if I choose one with high HP/defense/whatever? Will I have to recast (Resurrect? Get a new one? Not into PW yet...) my pet all the time if I choose one with high offense? Or is the golem the ultimate uber pet with everything high? :-) It seems to be the common recommendation, and the fact that the PvPers don't like it makes it look even better :-)
    so if u don't like the PVP part, and try to avoid it...
    go for Robe build "glass canon", is the best solo-er cause u're pet will tank everything (golem), if u;ll get rich enough and u'll get cause a veno on the robe build is the richest,, :P u'll lvl your pet skills and u won't steal aggro from your pet
    get a Swafly for PVP just in case... and the best pet for luring will be Kowlin, a rare lvl 60 mob, few have it, but it's awesome, 10.5m/s speed
    at lvl 29 u get a skill that exchanges the MPs Percentage with HP's percentage, so let;s say if u're MP is at 30% and HP 100%, u cast that skill, u'll get 30% HP and 100% MP, it's the cheapest way of grinding cause u'll just use 1 HP pot to fill the HP< not using 3-4 MP pots to fill the MP bar
    IGN: JusT_CooL
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: ex-Conqueror

Follow the example of good GMing :D
    [SIGPIC]http://photos1.hi5.com/0044/475/618/k97TDv475618-02.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Chiraz - Heavens Tear
    Chiraz - Heavens Tear Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    kargor wrote: »
    So, simple question: is the "Robe" variant suitable for soloing?

Yes, your pet will tank just fine. Be aware that you will die fast if aggro directs at your character, but not so fast that you can't make a tactical maneuver :D
    You can switch from a robe build to a light build when you start off with a robe build, but not the other way around.
    It appears that I have a choice of pets --- will I pull aggro off my pet all the time if I choose one with high HP/defense/whatever?

It happens rarely to me, though I have only the Wolfling and the Darkbreed, and they're probably not as high HP/Pdef as the golems. A second (or third) mob getting annoyed is the biggest threat and when they focus on you rather then their pet your first concern would be to direct them to your pet.

You can resurrect pets, you can tame new ones, but you can only have a few pets with you for actual use.
    Or is the golem the ultimate uber pet with everything high?

Golems are slow and a faster pet is usefull for aggro management, their lower M-def makes them more vulnerable to magic using mobs but most of all, their size makes it difficult to target critters near them.
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    Aenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The targetting npc's/mobs near them isn't hard. Just hold down shift and you can select them. It IS harder to target a pc near them though if you need to buff them for some reason, but that's pretty rare tbh.
  • Chiraz - Heavens Tear
    Chiraz - Heavens Tear Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I am certain I've tried that, without luck. Will try again, it's a major issue.
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    Aenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It works in exactly the same way that you can target npc's thru a sea of pc's. Pets are considered pc's (player characters), and mobs are obviously considered npc's (non-player characters). But like I said, it won't work with targeting another pc b/c it'll go thru them as well as the pet.

And yeah, until I tried it.... I was severely annoyed in FB's where I can't jump to target things! >.<! Way too used to jumping and selecting a mob. Plus, I came from FFXI... So I'm pretty used to F keys for targeting party, closest npc, and closest pc. Or tabbing thru available targets... Or typing out commands like /ta <stnpc> /ta <bt> /ta <pet> /ta name etc... All of which I haven't found a way to do with hot keys or typing out commands in PW. Selecting with the mouse is a huge pain sometimes.