Rare pet camping

kosinki
kosinki Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2011 in Venomancer
Hello, I didn't see a thread about this so I thought I'd bring it up. I assume people don't discuss this because they do not want to give up death times, which is understandable. I did want to ask a question about it though. The last few times I've been camping, the monster gets tamed before it takes any damage. So does that mean its just luck on getting the egg? If no venomancer damages the pet and all attempt to tame from full life instead, than doesn't that mean everyone has an equal chance?

I just wanted to bring that up as discussion. If anyone had any suggestions for getting that lucky tame.
Post edited by kosinki on

Comments

• bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It's a low chance at full health, but I've personally done it a few times, not on rare pets though. It happens, just not enough times to warrant always taming at full health.

As far as chances, not everybody has an equal chance. I personally think most high levels are crazy enough to go to such lengths as to attack and kill their competition on the PVP server. I'm personally planing to make a character later specifically made to stay at 23 and tame rare pets in that range. That or come back at a really high level, and with friends.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Mimu - Heavens Tear
    Mimu - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    all the rare pets spawn 5 hours after server restart, i.e if server went down at 2pm and came back up at 3pm, rare pets will spawn at 8pm.

shaodu cub is always the 1st to spawn, windwalking piggy almost same time, followed by kowlin, then the armored bear, kitty and puppy last. not sure about the frog and bunny.

as for taming, i have seen pets tamed at full hp, but it never happened to me! i do suggest going with the -channeling speed powders u craft from the apothecary. i think the 1st one u can use at lvl30(-15%), 2nd one at lvl45(-50%).

hope that helps.
  • Meowzers - Heavens Tear
    Meowzers - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    If you do damage the pet before anyone else do they still get a chance to tame it?
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Unfortunately with no KS protection, there's also no tame protection. Tame counts as an attack technically. Try casting it on something and fail. Of course the mob agros on you (Only if nobody else has agro), because you did something to it. Tame is a no damage "attack" so yes, people will all be casting it regardless of who is actually fighting/tanking the rare pet.

If you do this at 30+ on the PVP server ("Steal" the rare pet from the person who had it), expect to get killed if they're really high level. This is why I'm planning to make a permanent level 27 (Tame level 3 at that level) alt to go catch Bear and Kitty with, but not anytime soon. It lets you do that and then pretty much "dissapear". Sure people will probably say "You're my KOS target if I ever see you" or something similar, but since the character never levels and they don't know that, you can just laugh at them, knowing that the character will purposefully never reach 30.

On the PVE server, you'd probably just make a lot of people mad at you for doing that, but there's no way to do anything about it.

So yes Meo, anybody has a chance to tame it.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    Aenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Yeah... If you're lvl 37-47+ with the higher level tame tiers you can easily charm lvl 20-30 rare pets at full hp. Nearly every spawn at the piggy someone charms it at 80-100% hp while I'm trying to get its hp down to a range where I can successfully charm it. 1 Venomous scarab and I start casting charm... And 9 times out of 10 it's already charmed.
  • kargor
    kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Ah... good to know. Seems lilke a good reason to not bother with these rare pets. Spawns never? Everyone camping for it, 'cause if you already have one, why not have two? Or three? Or 42?
    Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
    Getting too grindy by now :-(
  • skittles64
    skittles64 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    i know how you all feel and i wish that if an account already has tamed a rare pet that day or two days it should be banned from taming another, cause it seems the same insane levels are at every rare pet site and i can't even get a spell in, it is sickning! I work and don't have time to level so 90 pct of my items i buy at boutique or gather herbs for, i am sick of seeing the rare pets i tried for weeks keep going to someone who just sells them for millions of coins. Something should be done!!! Different spawn sites and times will put the rare into pets and stop this log on take the tame and leave **** or KILL once i FINALLY tame the pet and take it from me. It really isn't worth trying to play after a hard day working just to be killed and items stolen!! Thanks Skittles
  • Chiraz - Heavens Tear
    Chiraz - Heavens Tear Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    ... while I'm trying to get its hp down ...

Use your pet to get some of it's HP off while you start the Taming right away. But in those situations it's a lottery.
  • jessikakaka
    jessikakaka Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Some sites show 2 or even 3 locations for a rare spawn pet.

Does that mean there are 2 different spawns within 12hrs? or do they just wander the entire area?
  • zuna
    zuna Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I think, if the purpose of the camping is for personal use, i agree on that,

but i am sure out there there are ppl just camping for money..

i always want a frog, but everytime i try to pass by the spawning point its so empty and always players around ..

i think i'll just give up.
    Veno (Sanctuary) lvl 34
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    I agree wholeheartedly with the charm for personal use argument. It would be nice if the egg auto-bound to your character and made so you couldn't charm it anymore... But then the baby pets for all classes come into play with needing several eggs for 1 baby pet.

It's just dang frustrating when you see level 50-60+ players at a lvl 20-30 rare pet spawn knowing that they've successfully charmed it 2-3+ times in the past and that they don't need the pet.
    I mean.. Sure.. Money makes the world go round... And it's so easy for a lvl 50+ to go to a rare pet that they can charm at full hp, charm it, then turn around 10 seconds later and sell it for 5-600k+ easily. And I see people shouting to sell pets like the froggy, kitty, piggy, etc... And I ask how much they want just to get a 500k... or a 1.5 mil... or a 2 mil... in response. ;.; Most of the time I don't have more than 200k and that's after quite a bit of farming and bazaaring.

If anyone on Heavens Tear that actually wants to camp the rare pets to USE wants to team up and camp the pets together til we both have one let me know either by PM here or by message in-game. Mid-level players unite!! :D

Wow.... So apparently the preview option actually posts it... -.- And it won't let me delete those other posts... /sigh... w00t! I got one to delete! Now for the other! :D
  • finfiny
    finfiny Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    For venomacer players to steal other people's spawns, especially after I've been waiting for 8 hours straight at the same spot then NIUNIA from faction 69 just comes and waits for me to injure it and ks tame my lil kitty. I reckon its first come first serve and before she goes ksing kitty (coz i knew she wud) I've asked her VERY NICELY to let me have it and to which an extent I even offered her a trade with my snow hare she just spoke in another language with her friend that was with her and flew off.

I find that TOTALLY IRESPECTFUL. Not to even mention I've waited for 8 hours, today was my last day I could wait for hours like that as after today I have a week of exams which I can't get to neither both of the 2 respawning times. Told NIUNIA that and she totally doesn't care and is very inconsiderate of her to just drop off her stingray, steal it, and fly off. Keep on telling me to get the next respawn, I kept on telling her i couldn't and why can't she get the next respawn if she knows the times so well when i don't.

conclusion: PET STEALERS ARE TO BE PUNISHED.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Finny
    Marksman
    Phoenix Guild
    RGD 1
    Phoenix Designer

Let our Phoenix set your asses on FIRE.
  • Urenna - Heavens Tear
    Urenna - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I wants a froggy and a kitty b:cry but I dont have time to camp or the money to buy
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    No worries Urenna. We'll get ya them. And me too hopefully! :D
  • Sherekahn - Lost City
    Sherekahn - Lost City Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    as anyone in lost city that wants to start a kind of rare-pet hunting club too.. PM me (here in the forum) i have experience catching kitten and snow hare! (but thats it... b:surrender)
  • mightynyx
    mightynyx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I haven't even attempted to get a rare pet yet, but after reading all this, I'm not sure I want to try. :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Revolt.
  • greenpuma123
    greenpuma123 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Never happened to me even when taming lvl 1s.
  • zionwarrior
    zionwarrior Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Aenil im currnetly at and area that im trying to find a "rare pet" i think it might be an unknown spawn site because i hear a pet but can find it so pm me ingame sometime i will show u the area mayb u can help me find it then we can spawn camp it togeather hehe up to u my name is I_Love_Pets i think i would like ur char name in heavens tear i will try to pm Aenil but i dont kno that is ur chars name ok ttyl i hope
    340e1f28-2806-453d-8005-5420e7eb9a6b.jpg
    Check my older posts by profile I am far older than 2010 I was from beta just got on forums in 2008 otc for the first time.
  • Skyewitchy - Heavens Tear
    Skyewitchy - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    For the Kitten I have seen it spawn at the north location and about 5-10 mins after spawn at the next location. I have missed taming it at both.

For the Bear it spawned at the same time for both locations.

I did get the bear on my first try. I think it spawned right at my feet, I clicked just right and was the first one to start taming. I can't remember if people were damaging him but I was the one that got him.
  • swiftlikeafox
    swiftlikeafox Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    First person on the scene should have first crack at taming..... though I have stepped out of the way before for players who are honestly just trying to tame for personal use..... in most cases though people are just greedy........if someone else shows up at a spawn you've been waiting at and you have reason to believe they'll try to snipe the pet right out from under your nose..... tell them in not so many words that you were here first and that if you see them go for it you will kill the pet rather than let them have it..... trust me it works....sometimes anyway, other times you actually will have to kill the pet to keep people from stealing it.
  • survivorx
    survivorx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    id love a flying pig ... 4 personal use ( veno lv18 )

at wot coords roughly does it spawn ?
  • Charyasha - Sanctuary
    Charyasha - Sanctuary Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    bron wrote: »
    Unfortunately with no KS protection, there's also no tame protection. Tame counts as an attack technically. Try casting it on something and fail. Of course the mob agros on you (Only if nobody else has agro), because you did something to it. Tame is a no damage "attack" so yes, people will all be casting it regardless of who is actually fighting/tanking the rare pet.

If you do this at 30+ on the PVP server ("Steal" the rare pet from the person who had it), expect to get killed if they're really high level. This is why I'm planning to make a permanent level 27 (Tame level 3 at that level) alt to go catch Bear and Kitty with, but not anytime soon. It lets you do that and then pretty much "dissapear". Sure people will probably say "You're my KOS target if I ever see you" or something similar, but since the character never levels and they don't know that, you can just laugh at them, knowing that the character will purposefully never reach 30.

On the PVE server, you'd probably just make a lot of people mad at you for doing that, but there's no way to do anything about it.

So yes Meo, anybody has a chance to tame it.

lolz that would be funny if u could tame people
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ).........(\_
    ((______/{"-;
    )).-' {{ ;'`
    ( (. ;._ \\........May the Clan Guardian Run With You Always......... - coad books
  • Tenderloin - Sanctuary
    Tenderloin - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I agree tho make the rare pet bound to you once you tame it...that should cut down on a lot of the kill stealing and anti-social behavior that has been around.
  • Direwolves - Heavens Tear
    Direwolves - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    im trying to get a cat im almost level 20 anyway i still have to do my level 19 quest first i have i pet cat so i would like to get one and name it after him
  • sprayboi
    sprayboi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    all the rare pets spawn 5 hours after server restart, i.e if server went down at 2pm and came back up at 3pm, rare pets will spawn at 8pm.

not sure about it. when i first wanted to get kowlin and finally knew when was server maintenace he spawned in 4h, not 5h after restart... server went on at about 2:45am and i heard its 5h after so went at kowlin spawn place at 7:45-8am and nothing... so i tried one more time at 6:45pm and guess what? kowlin spawned at about 7pm...

i changed time for obvious reason

ok now about camping. tbh i remember when i first tried to tame kowlin and there was only one veno and me. she tamed it, ok and i asked her that will she be there in 12h and she answered yes, its pissed me off cuz she actually got one. after few tries (of course in next 12h there was another venos) my friend got it and gave it to me. in return i helped her with shadou and got it. i dunno why but after this i camp here everyday and finally tamed 2 (except this one for friend) and one sold for 1m+

i know what u feel if some high lvls got it and they actually have one, its everything for money. i dont really care now about ppl that want it for personal uses.

and sry for my english if i did a lot of mistakes, im still learning (im only 15...)
  • ninik
    ninik Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    as anyone in lost city that wants to start a kind of rare-pet hunting club too.. PM me (here in the forum) i have experience catching kitten and snow hare! (but thats it... b:surrender)

i would like to join.i am in lost city and i really want a kitty!other players that already have on and just want the money keep steeling it from me!b:cry i only have 2 days left to have it and i really really want one.those ho thake them for the money must be stopped!b:angry
  • ninik
    ninik Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    survivorx wrote: »
    id love a flying pig ... 4 personal use ( veno lv18 )

at wot coords roughly does it spawn ?

its spawns at exactly 403 643 for lost city.
  • RyukiChan - Dreamweaver
    RyukiChan - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    i wanted a kitty, but i don't know the coordinates for it. When i was lv 18(literally yesterday) i saw one run past me, but of course my lv was too low for it. Surprisingly no one was after it at all, so it was pretty much no competition for it and it was maybe an hour before maint.

I saw one in a shop for 800K+ and thought that was amazing considering you only have to be lv 20 and lucky to catch one! I hate players who exploit rare pets and the boutique just to make money. Anytime I buy something from any in game mall I'm using it for myself, or I'm buying a gift for someone who really deserves it.

Can someone pm me a list of coordinates for the rare pets under lv 30? I would be delighted to help catch them! after i get my fb19 done of course.
    I'm that weird person who has been playing since 08' and never reaches endgame because I keep going off the grid for college. And, you know, The Sims 3 happened... b:chuckle

Also, anyone notice that they fixed the old "Fox veno skin color glitch" from back in the day? LOL when did that happen!?
  • JollyJaguar - Sanctuary
    JollyJaguar - Sanctuary Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    finfiny wrote: »
    For venomacer players to steal other people's spawns, especially after I've been waiting for 8 hours straight at the same spot then NIUNIA from faction 69 just comes and waits for me to injure it and ks tame my lil kitty. I reckon its first come first serve and before she goes ksing kitty (coz i knew she wud) I've asked her VERY NICELY to let me have it and to which an extent I even offered her a trade with my snow hare she just spoke in another language with her friend that was with her and flew off.

I find that TOTALLY IRESPECTFUL. Not to even mention I've waited for 8 hours, today was my last day I could wait for hours like that as after today I have a week of exams which I can't get to neither both of the 2 respawning times. Told NIUNIA that and she totally doesn't care and is very inconsiderate of her to just drop off her stingray, steal it, and fly off. Keep on telling me to get the next respawn, I kept on telling her i couldn't and why can't she get the next respawn if she knows the times so well when i don't.

conclusion: PET STEALERS ARE TO BE PUNISHED.

If u know when it spawned.. just come back 12h later and not wait 8 hours.. Cause thats just insane.

Rare taming is a game. I tame rares because I enjoy it. You meet ppl there and yea It might get u some money. Right now the prices of the rares are so high, no1 will buy em. I intend to sell em for less.. to get the price down.
    First person on the scene should have first crack at taming..... though I have stepped out of the way before for players who are honestly just trying to tame for personal use..... in most cases though people are just greedy........if someone else shows up at a spawn you've been waiting at and you have reason to believe they'll try to snipe the pet right out from under your nose..... tell them in not so many words that you were here first and that if you see them go for it you will kill the pet rather than let them have it..... trust me it works....sometimes anyway, other times you actually will have to kill the pet to keep people from stealing it.

If u'd kill the rare on purpose id report you :]
    For the Kitten I have seen it spawn at the north location and about 5-10 mins after spawn at the next location. I have missed taming it at both.

For the Bear it spawned at the same time for both locations.

I did get the bear on my first try. I think it spawned right at my feet, I clicked just right and was the first one to start taming. I can't remember if people were damaging him but I was the one that got him.

Congratz u caught the bear. But I suggest u use tab to select it ;] Make sure ur close enough tho, or u end up like me taming a scorpion!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    There's like a TONNE of rare pet guides on the wiki.

Here's one chosen at random:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Rare_Pet_Taming_Guide
This discussion has been closed.