Rides vs Fly

Options
Maiya - Lost City
Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
So I'm thinking of getting some gold. Some of the items on my mind are the rides and mounts.

Is a faster flying mount really necessary? They're slow enough as is, how much faster can it really get?

And about the riding pets. How useful are these?

If you were to ride a panther from say West Archosaur to Etherblade, would it be faster than flying there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Maiya - Lost City on

Comments

• icebreath
    icebreath Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    So I'm thinking of getting some gold. Some of the items on my mind are the rides and mounts.

Is a faster flying mount really necessary? They're slow enough as is, how much faster can it really get?

And about the riding pets. How useful are these?

If you were to ride a panther from say West Archosaur to Etherblade, would it be faster than flying there?

Flying will Always be better! Cause there is nothing in your way ;)

Fly over tree's - over water - over rocks ect... and i could go on lol

Maybe in a straight line race a land mount can win lol

oh and dont forget Agro you get on land mounts :p and there is 0 agro when you fly..

So you still dont know what to get? :D
  • russel
    russel Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I prefer landmount.
    It is faster on mount than on flytool. When on mount you can see the herbs, you can fly real low but then the advantage of flying is gone (no aggro). The mountains sucks, but after a while you know the map well enough to decide when to fly and when to use mount.

As much I love mounts I recommend to get a +1.5 flytool first though :)
  • ultimusmagus
    ultimusmagus Posts: 33
    edited September 2008
    Options
    icebreath wrote: »
    Flying will Always be better! Cause there is nothing in your way ;)

Fly over tree's - over water - over rocks ect... and i could go on lol

Maybe in a straight line race a land mount can win lol

oh and dont forget Agro you get on land mounts :p and there is 0 agro when you fly..

So you still dont know what to get? :D

You still aggro when you fly, depends on the mob of course.
    The rest is pretty much accurate.
  • icebreath
    edited September 2008
    Options
    You still aggro when you fly, depends on the mob of course.
    The rest is pretty much accurate.

I have never got any agro ...must be because you were to close to ground :p
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It is your decision, depending on what you wish to do. Personally, I got a mount as it is faster on land and I can outrun aggroed mobs fast enough. I use my flying tool where where are obstacles (i.e. water, mountains) in the way.
  • Maxgod - Heavens Tear
    Maxgod - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I use both. Ride when not a lot of mountains and I want to get somewhere fast. Fly when a lot of mountains or water. Being on land, you have to ride around mobs. Flying, you can go afk until you get to your destination if you fly high enough. For gathering mats, I preferr to fly low. U can see further than with a petride. If I had to only get one, I would get the pet ride because you already have a flying tool and the items now are not that much faster. Maybe wait on the flying until the faster items are available.
  • Vaelissa - Heavens Tear
    Vaelissa - Heavens Tear Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I currently have a level 11 bear with a speed of 10 and the fastest Skymant. Both were very worth it. The speed difference with the item shop Skymant and free quest one is very noticable, not to mention it looks nicer :D.

As for the bear, mounts are faster than anything flying, at least so far. Unless there is a body of water or very steep, wide and mountain in your path, you will reach your destination significantly faster on a land mount.

After getting used to the above, normal running makes me feel like a snail stuck on duct tape.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Haha, thanks for the replies.

I wasn't sure if I should purchase one or the other, but I may just get both in the end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peregryn
    peregryn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    icebreath wrote: »
    I have never got any agro ...must be because you were to close to ground :p

hard as it may be to image some of the air mobs will aggro you in flight
    Perhaps the greatest secret to getting along with others lies in learning to respect their opinion(s) even while you disagree with them.
  • Ricecake - Heavens Tear
    Ricecake - Heavens Tear Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    peregryn wrote: »

so true ive been killed before by the flying mobs. Anyone who doesnt believe you can get aggro in the air is just ignorent.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13490001&dateline=1268988639[/SIGPIC]

I used to be a cleric like you, then I took a Plume Shot to the knee.
  • icebreath
    edited September 2008
    Options

Not even got agro on the lvl8x air mobs on path to city of 1k.

I guess if you fly right into them or up to them and try to pickpocket u get agro :D
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I have a speed 11 elephant (upgraded), and often just run between places instead of using the teleporter. I save myself a lot of money that way.

I probably wouldnt bother with a land mount at all if they had the fast flyers available, but +1.50 is a bit slow, and the air upgrade urn in that north western city (forget its name) doesnt seem to be working properly.
  • Sajra - Lost City
    Sajra - Lost City Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    i vote flying rules. i just hate walking/running places. even on a mount, now i'd love a landmount, but i'm really happy with my wings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Forsaken Sigs

Sajra - Level 31 - Hell Archer.
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I probably wouldnt bother with a land mount at all if they had the fast flyers available, but +1.50 is a bit slow, and the air upgrade urn in that north western city (forget its name) doesnt seem to be working properly.

I've upgraded my flyer at the Aeroforge. It does work but it's a little goofy. Unlike normal forges where you just need the objects in your inventory, at that forge its more like Refining or Imbuing. You need to un-equip your flyer, then actually place your flyer onto the slot in the window, and then also place your wind-widgets onto the slot in the window, then hit the upgrade button. Works just fine even tho its anti-intuitive.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Holy bump alert. o_O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XAsch - Sanctuary
    XAsch - Sanctuary Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    /Edited b:bye
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Only if you fly at low altitude. Fly at 79 altitude and NOTHING agro's you. EVER. because there are NO mobs at that altitude. I usually fly at 60-70 altitude and even then don't find any agro. If your getting agro.. your way to low.

Saitada
  • ILostSpirit - Heavens Tear
    ILostSpirit - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I vote for land mounts, I know there's that "knock off" thing, but I don't care - speed is the point. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AmutoForever - Heavens Tear
    AmutoForever - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

flying is a little faster....well it depands on the wings.
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    flying is a little faster....well it depands on the wings.

you, missus, have just NECROED
    1056zw6.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2