In game weddings/getting married?

kitkumi
kitkumi Posts: 10 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I was playing the other night and it popped up with red text in my chat window that so and so players had just been married or whatever. I thought that it was just a random player announcement, but then I saw that there is actually a 'spouse' spot in your character data. So is it possible for in game 'weddings', and if so, how do they work/activate?
Post edited by kitkumi on

Comments

• Peaceandlove - Lost City
    Peaceandlove - Lost City Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I know you can get married, yes. But yeah I'd like to know as well.

Also what the benefits are.
    PVE is lame.
  • kitkumi
    kitkumi Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I think it would be a little fun. But I've only seen the one wedding happen, and no one ever mentions it.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    kitkumi wrote: »
    I was playing the other night and it popped up with red text in my chat window that so and so players had just been married or whatever. I thought that it was just a random player announcement, but then I saw that there is actually a 'spouse' spot in your character data. So is it possible for in game 'weddings', and if so, how do they work/activate?

Cash shop items. A Groom pack and a bride pack. Roughly $30 each. Each person gets one of the packs (depending on gender) and talk to the Eldest Matchmaker in a party, and soon enough you're married.

You also get 10 "Wedding Gifts" which can give you wedding candy, wedding wine, or triumph coins. Candy gives you 20 reputation, wine can be changed into coins, and triumph coins are 99,999 each.

Then you get this title above your head saying "[character name]'s wife / husband."

It was more common in closed beta, since everyone got 5000 free ZEN for the period and people would make multiple accounts for more ZEN to play with the items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Cash shop items. A Groom pack and a bride pack. Roughly $30 each. Each person gets one of the packs (depending on gender) and talk to the Eldest Matchmaker in a party, and soon enough you're married.

You also get 10 "Wedding Gifts" which can give you wedding candy, wedding wine, or triumph coins. Candy gives you 20 reputation, wine can be changed into coins, and triumph coins are 99,999 each.

Then you get this title above your head saying "[character name]'s wife / husband."

It was more common in closed beta, since everyone got 5000 free ZEN for the period and people would make multiple accounts for more ZEN to play with the items.
    Wait you literally can't do it without spending SIXTY DOLLARS?

Ugh...that's pathetic. This game will be a massive, massive failure with these prices.
    PVE is lame.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited September 2008

Ugh...that's pathetic. This game will be a massive, massive failure with these prices.

Sad, but true. I'm hoping the wedding packs will be decreased in price like some other items have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    I literally cannot believe anyone on the planet would be like "Yeah, $60....that's reasonable".

Whatever :(
    PVE is lame.
  • peregryn
    peregryn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008

Laughs, when you think about it, Marriage is supposed to be a serious commitment you enter into after due thought, $60 is not out of line and if you think that is to much (or your $30 of it anyway) maybe you should ask yourself if you 'want' to seek marriage.
    Perhaps the greatest secret to getting along with others lies in learning to respect their opinion(s) even while you disagree with them.
  • Mistresslaya - Heavens Tear
    Mistresslaya - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008

the more i think about it.... this game is worst then rappelz.... At least rappelz can make ENGLISH trailers. and RL cash items dont cost nearly as much. -.-

i just like the character customization. and it dont take as long to lvl in this game haha xD
  • Mistresslaya - Heavens Tear
    Mistresslaya - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    peregryn wrote: »
    Laughs, when you think about it, Marriage is supposed to be a serious commitment you enter into after due thought, $60 is not out of line and if you think that is to much (or your $30 of it anyway) maybe you should ask yourself if you 'want' to seek marriage.

LoL -.- This is a game we're tlking about.... u can get married for less then tht in REALLIFE! who cares commitment -.- NO ONES gonna pay 60 $$ to get married ona damn game -.- unless they're teenagers and have nothing BETTEr to do with their money -.-
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, sadly I've seen a few people who have done it already.

I'd love to think that everyone would find that stupid/insane, and not pay for it which would reduce it to a reasonable price, but...sadly people seem to be stupid and love to throw their money away.

And yeah...get real with that commitment junk, that's crazy talk.
    PVE is lame.
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    u can get married for less then tht in REALLIFE! .-

I do think the prices are a bit much and I would not pay them to get married in a video game. But as far as marriage irl, hun it costs a lot more than that. It costs $50 just to get married by a judge. Not to mention $4 more for copies of your marriage certificate that you need to take to Social Security. Also your wedding rings, that is a requirement to get married even if it is by a judge. Total investment: $1,454.00. How do I know this? well b/c I'm married of course ^^

This is not including the fancy weddings that can get up into the $100,000. The only reason I didnt do this, was b/c I did not have that much to spend on getting married :) someday I will though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • Yami - Heavens Tear
    Yami - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    sikozu wrote: »
    I do think the prices are a bit much and I would not pay them to get married in a video game. But as far as marriage irl, hun it costs a lot more than that. It costs $50 just to get married by a judge. Not to mention $4 more for copies of your marriage certificate that you need to take to Social Security. Also your wedding rings, that is a requirement to get married even if it is by a judge. Total investment: $1,454.00. How do I know this? well b/c I'm married of course ^^

This is not including the fancy weddings that can get up into the $100,000. The only reason I didnt do this, was b/c I did not have that much to spend on getting married :) someday I will though.

+1 cuz it's so true xD
    Yami - Cleric - Heaven's Tear
    Testament - Barbarian - Heaven's Tear
  • Crysathinum - Heavens Tear
    Crysathinum - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    think about thos game being free for a second..................now think of warcraft........................whats wrong with the prices? people need to get paid somehow
  • Diamondstar - Heavens Tear
    Diamondstar - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    ok from how i understand it... only male/female can get married... so since my boyfriend is playing a veno we are screwed unless he creates a second avi in another class or i create a male avi
    that is pretty messed up .. :/ should be allowed to marry (or carry) same sex if you want
  • sheet
    sheet Posts: 5
    edited September 2008
    The only reason I would pay that $30 to get married on this game is if I'm guarenteed those triumph coins. XD and if that much money is really very valuable; because, if buying a pair of good boots is a third of that. to heck with paying that much.
  • lemin
    lemin Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Only time I would even think about 'marriage' on an internet game is if I was great friends (Doesn't have to be r/l) with her and knew she was a girl (Talked and exchanged photos,etc.)

But then I'd still have to cough up 30$ for something in the virtual reality.

So far I've heard the game is awesome but the prices for the 'premium' items is a little out of hand.

I'd lower them if I were smart.
  • Azguard - Heavens Tear
    Azguard - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    what they need to do is have a free marriage system and maybe remove a feature of the pay version. i mean 9 times out of 10 its going to be children playing the game who dont have money or if they do not 30-60 bucks.

Maybe paying game currency would be better. There was a game that was shutdown due to hackers. where they had a calculated total based off of their stats. it was like 10 for every stat point. so if you have say 200 stat points total your only going to pay 2k to get married. granted that wasnt the equasion to get married in that game but it is very similiar.
  • Elstra - Lost City
    Elstra - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    There are people who play this game with a girlfriend, wife or partner and it would be nice to have their name under 'spouse'. It's a shame it costs $60 sure, but this is leisure time - perhaps 20+ hours a week spent on a game with no subscription costs. There are development costs involved in producing a game like this, and they have to be funded somehow. I'd prefer to spend $60 on an in-game marriage, and a few other clothes and items than to see advertising everywhere as I walked through the world.

I don't believe it is all children playing this either, actually the majority of the people i've met in the game so far have been over 18.

Same sex marriages should definitely be allowed also, seeing as some classes are gender limitied it's quite backward to only allow male female marriages.

I would like to see a system where you can pay in game gold, or pay real world money. Microtransactions are a part of the next generation of games, and as opposed to subscription costs are a nice alternative, especially if they support a Free to play.
  • Avernus - Lost City
    Avernus - Lost City Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    There are people who play this game with a girlfriend, wife or partner and it would be nice to have their name under 'spouse'.

"Thanks for the buff, dear."
    "Well, honey, I figured that since we're playing in the buff..."
  • Feraldreamz - Heavens Tear
    Feraldreamz - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, sadly I've seen a few people who have done it already.

I'd love to think that everyone would find that stupid/insane, and not pay for it which would reduce it to a reasonable price, but...sadly people seem to be stupid and love to throw their money away.

And yeah...get real with that commitment junk, that's crazy talk.

Eh don't be so quick to judge others.

Just because people decide to spend their entertainment budget on PW versus going to a movie or something, doesn't make them stupid. Play a game or go to a movie, no difference.

Also, I'm sure there are a lot of real couples playing this game, and the marriage thing is probably fun for them. :)
  • sillgraan
    sillgraan Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Oh, God, prices here are worse than Rohan or Conquer.
    I mean, I always tend to spend some money on cash shop items every once in a while, but when I have to spend $60 at once, well, that's too much. In the long run, if they lower prices a bit, more players would buy cash shop items and the company ends up making more profit, just my 2 cents :p
  • Avernus - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    ...I'm sure there are a lot of real couples playing this game, and the marriage thing is probably fun for them. :)

I play this game with my significant other but we just don't feel the need to spend the money on a free game, when most PWers wouldn't care about our marital status either way. =)
  • necro999
    necro999 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    They should let you get married for free with rare in game drop. (It would be interesting to see what it sell for in shop also.) Then have a purge item for 50 bucks in item mall to allow divorce. That would be a money maker. Many people who don't know each other well would be getting married on a whim. Then after time they wish they didn't. Most free to play games have purges for stats to reset them and they usually not cheap so why not divorce purge.

That would be hilarious also, to hear all the married announcement and divorce announcements. It would so funny to see them shouting world chat one week how much they <3 each other and being all cutesy, then getting divorce the next week. More drama and more puplic the drama the better for amuse me.
  • silvergsx
    silvergsx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I would like to see a system where you can pay in game gold, or pay real world money. Microtransactions are a part of the next generation of games, and as opposed to subscription costs are a nice alternative, especially if they support a Free to play.

You can pay in game coins. 100k coins = 1 gold. So it would cost about 6mil game coins to marry. And any veno farming rare eggs should be able to afford that in no time.
  • Avernus - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    silvergsx wrote: »
    ...any veno farming rare eggs should be able to afford that in no time.

Oh, so just like in real life, the REAL burden is on the guy. :p
  • peregryn
    peregryn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    *laughs*
    First of all, I would never get married in a game (period) 99 times out of 100 you do not really know the other person.
    Second the $60 is for both the bride package and the groom package (in other words each pays $30).
    Third are you NUTS! (in real life)She probably has to pay as much for her dress, to say nothing of Bridesmaids dresses as you pay for ring(set) and tux rental combined. plus any other expenses involved are either shared or known going into it if you have any sense.

I agree some of the prices are out of line but seriously.
    Perhaps the greatest secret to getting along with others lies in learning to respect their opinion(s) even while you disagree with them.
  • Kaishi - Heavens Tear
    Kaishi - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I don't see any point in complaining about the 'real cash items' as long as they are not corrupting the game balance. Actually we should even thank people who buy those silly things because the game has to be mentained by someone (and PW crew have to eat as well :)). I'm never making fun of them only because they want to get married in game while they have no life in real world, none of such things. If they want to use this option which gives them more fun from the game - cool. Their money, their choice, thanks for keeping this game running :)
    I'm not considering any in-game marriage in the future, especially when I check what can I get for my 30$: name of my partner above my own, 10 presents and a server announcement... Nah, I'll pass.
    I'm not complaining about the high prices as well because if they were lower, I could start wondering about buying zen...
    Whenever I fail...
    I make it epic.

Be nice to your local fail veno before it becomes nice to you.
  • Elfaqueen - Heavens Tear
    Elfaqueen - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    sikozu wrote: »

Just want to recall this ..

My friend and I .. we done our married .. this way :P ..

just go to Vegas with drive thought style no need any god damn ring .. we already wear 1 just use it as symbol who care about it .. total cost less than 50$ :P unless u 1 2 show off than u can do other BS thing ..
  • meeku
    meeku Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008

I thought veno=female?
  • pirofire
    pirofire Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    venomancer does = female.
    --
    world of warcraft does not allow marrage at all, they havent fixed that yet, and as far as Ive seen its never been a feature.
    --
    D.ream O.f M.irror O.nline (domo) does allow for marrage, friendship, rivals, teacher/student and that kind of thing, its free of cash but you need items called 'dreamstones'. if you find your true love (red line, and heartbeat noise) then it cost lest dreamstones.

you also get 3 abilites for each relationship
    --

yeah, I agree that the bride/groom packs should be less or even free, and I agree with the same sex marrage/carry thing for girls
    I dont care if they do it for guys too but I dont have anything nice to say about THAT so Ill just keep quiet.
This discussion has been closed.