Crafting for profit: Pointless?

Options
Darith - Heavens Tear
Darith - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
edited December 2009 in The Crafting Nook
It seems to me that this game's crafting isn't really suited for selling equipment, ala UO or something like that. I mean, let's look at some facts:

If I'm a blacksmith and I feel like selling some swords, I'll need some Pig Iron, some Grease and some broke jade (or whatever).

Even if I was selling the easiest sword to make, the first one in the manufacturing window, I'm left with two choice... either I spend an hour running around and praying I can find some iron and grease, or I spend about 3000 on base materials.

You couldn't get away with selling the sword for more than 1000.

....see my dilemma? Even swords that are at my level only cost a few thousand, and the requirements to make them (material) seem to go up exponentially, so I'd make even less profit - or more correctly, I'd lose even more money - on non-beginner swords.

It wouldn't be so bad if the material requirements didn't skyrocket for no reason whatsoever, requiring instead simply more crafting proficiency, but they do. What sense does this make? Why does it take ten times the amount of iron to make a weapon that's no bigger at all? I can see maybe three times as much, given refining, but beyond that this feels like the worst kind of artificial difficulty.

I dunno, I guess this just feels rather pointless, since anything you make is only going to be marginally more effective than store-bought goods, let alone quest weapons. Which renders the profession useless as both a way to make profit and as a vehicle for super-cool weapons.

What am I missing?
Post edited by Darith - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• valag
    valag Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Wait till your craft skill get to lvl 5-6, when you will make higher level items (should be middle, but for now i doubt there is more then 5%-10% people who already got such level). On low levels you just don't have to craft anything. Most items you can get from quests or drop, so selling those is pointless. Ofcourse with exclusion to very good bonuses or 3 stars items.

Propably this part (lvl 1-4 of crafting skills) is for selection ;). You got bored with that, later you will have to pay.
  • Darith - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ah, so it does get better.

That's good to know.
  • sevendust
    sevendust Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It seems as though the game is geared toward making super strong weapons for your self. Maybe at higher lvls you might be able to sell things for profit.
  • boar
    boar Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I think that one of the reason crafting seems so no proftiable is that no one really uses the auction house. I mean it is a great feature but i dont see many pople sellin mats in there and that would be a good way to move mats fast.
  • peregryn
    peregryn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    simple fact; most of the items craftable as you have noticed are little better than what you can buy from NPC's/quest, or simple drop.
    simple fact; this early in the game there is a glut of people trying to dominate the resources and sell them for highest price they can get.

this makes crafting at early levels seem like a waste of time and effort.

it is possible to make money at crafting, but you have to play long view. Collect resources to make your own armor/weapon/jewelry as you hunt mobs on quests. This saves you the money you would spend at NPC to buy the item. Later on when the idiots have learned nobody is gonna spend 1k+ for pig iron, logs, coal dust, ect it will be easier to collect the resources.

You will probably still find that selling the products of crafting will be limited to 2star+ results. Note: I know nothing about crafting above level 2 ... yet :)
    Perhaps the greatest secret to getting along with others lies in learning to respect their opinion(s) even while you disagree with them.
  • Arrowyn - Heavens Tear
    Arrowyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ok, I gotta admit the prices are crazy for materials but seeing as this is not a closed beta I don't see it really coming down for quite some time when finally the market becomes flooded with ppl trying to sell them. I say while it's a great time to sell and ppl are willing to pay the prices sell them all and **** crafting till the market gets saturated. Then even though you may be high level buy all the mats for cheap and make junk items that u'll never lose for a lilbit until you raise u're crafting lvl up to what you will use. I hear ppl all the time now asking for mats and offering quite good prices. Logs seems to be VERY popular.
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    peregryn wrote: »
    Later on when the idiots have learned nobody is gonna spend 1k+ for pig iron, logs, coal dust, ect it will be easier to collect the resources.

Actually, pig iron and logs sell quite well even for 3k. At just 1k you can expect your entire stack of pig iron or logs to sell out in a matter of minutes (especially if you type a statement in a starter city that you have pig iron or logs for only 1k). You do not even need to shout in world chat. Just a general chat (white-colored print) sentence saying as much will be enough.
  • icebreath
    icebreath Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    valag wrote: »
    Wait till your craft skill get to lvl 5-6, when you will make higher level items (should be middle, but for now i doubt there is more then 5%-10% people who already got such level). On low levels you just don't have to craft anything. Most items you can get from quests or drop, so selling those is pointless. Ofcourse with exclusion to very good bonuses or 3 stars items.

Propably this part (lvl 1-4 of crafting skills) is for selection ;). You got bored with that, later you will have to pay.

Eh? So your saying at lvl 6 Smith we need Less pig iron than what we use on lvl 1 2 3 weapons?
    Sry but i doubt that the higher you get in Smith Tailor ect.. you need Less Mats to craft.

You still need mats and the mats still takes Hours to find & to buy them lmao forget that .. hmm wait is it because you want us to sell lvl 30 ++++ items for xxxK each?

If they dont change the spawns on mats, its going to be every smith ect.. for him or her self.. meaning no1 will buy anything and all will craft to them selfs!

But, hey i dont mind lvling smith tailor ect.. just so i can craft my own stuff ;)

So keep the mat spawns.... :D
  • ballsy
    ballsy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    icebreath wrote: »
    Eh? So your saying at lvl 6 Smith we need Less pig iron than what we use on lvl 1 2 3 weapons?
    Sry but i doubt that the higher you get in Smith Tailor ect.. you need Less Mats to craft.

Higher levels weapons/armour requires higher level materials. Pig-Iron is replaced with High carbon steel, animal hide with rough leather and so on. If you want to find out whats required either go to a smith/tailor in Archosaur when you can or just open up the coin store and click the DIY tab then Materials.

Higher level items need a lot more materials to be crafted, not only do you need base materials but you also need manufactured materials e.g. copper bars, which are made from 2 high carbon steel, 2 coal and 2 refined oil (i could be wrong about the exact type of materials but the quantities are right). So trying to craft a weapon for a lvl 39 player uses about 20-25 raw materials all up o.O
  • l0ki
    l0ki Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    You can craft 1-3 then sell them to low level players for little cash... but.. you could just decompose it then sell yiyuan stones/ combine yiyuan to create another stone and sell it~

4+ You can sell them to people with a fair price. Although shouting doesn't work. If you got a 3* put it in auction.
  • Jayde_videl - Heavens Tear
    Jayde_videl - Heavens Tear Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    peregryn wrote: »
    this early in the game there is a glut of people trying to dominate the resources and sell them for highest price they can get.

You definitely got that right. I see player shops selling things like logs for 3000+ coins... each. Ridiculous.
    Jayde_Videl - lvl 6x venomancer - Heavens Tear
    RainbowVidel - lvl 3x venomancer - Sanctuary
  • mountainman
    mountainman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    My favorite is when you see a player store that has logs and iron for sale on the left at 3K each and on the right in the items they want to buy they have them as 200 each to buy. Love it. Out of principal I don't sell to those guys. I wonder if anyone ever does.
  • Fitzchivalry - Heavens Tear
    Fitzchivalry - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I am so new to the MMO genre that I am crafting just to experience the depth of the game. I was in the "It takes so long to find MATs, why should I even try school" but then when I moved up in lvl and starting doing more of the "cycle" quests, I found that it's easier to just harvest mats as the opportunity arises and also that you have to fight mobs around your own level if you want a good probability of mats dropping. Also, my only goal with crafting is to level my crafting skills, not making money, or even good weapons/armors although a few good ones have popped out of the process anyways.
  • Darith - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I dunno. I guess my beef with the whole thing is pretty much precicely that: Nobody's doing it for profit. Of course, the second part of that sentence is that nobody's doing it because they can't.

The crafting system and I just don't get along in this game. Why the hell should I need to be some god-like warrior before I can make awesome swords? It makes no sense. Neither does collecting the materials. And why exactly do I need Jade to make weapons?

It's also kinda funny that I can be like, the best blacksmith in the world, but I still need to visit an NPC merchant to repair my weapons. I guess nobody's invented wetstones in Perfect World yet.

The more I use it, the more it seems like a time/money sink.

Edit: All that being said, I still do it. I wish I knew why... maybe I just like seeing my name on stuff.
  • star23
    star23 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I never been a fan on the player shoping materials prices . I fully agree it outright silly and sad that -base- materials is allowed to be sold or sat to sold for 2,5 to whole 4k . Considering as pointed out here . the crafted goods as low lvl crafter is around 1k if not below . In other word , the material is treated like it was gold or rare metal . People hunt these materials , not to craft but for profit , witch inturn mean less chances a player who do want to craft find the stuff . Witch again put a person who dont make this game their life (and i mean that in a friendly way) into hard press situation to find either the material or the coins to even consider these crazy prices . Even more crazy is when we look at what NPC want to pay for material then what players shop can ask .

I fully understand that people had been searching to find it want more but seriously . What you say if Toliet paper sudden cost 500% more in RL ?..or the very food we need to eat? . Be real and do consider material is not Cash shop item , you had not pay real money , do consider it not boss spawned droped item that is ubber rare . if Herbs can get below 1k at near the 500 i also would think base material could atlest. Eitherway , i am sure glad some of you people dont say what prices is in RL b:chuckle
  • Darith - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    They're in the cash shop as well, actually. Ridiculously overpriced there, too.
  • necro999
    necro999 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    How will it ever become a big money maker when everyone can make their own weapons? Not to mention all the gear drops and quest rewards competing for your gear up for sale in shop. The only time you'll make money is if you get a super spectacular weapon. At least 4 out of 5 crafts will be NPC for much less then cost of materials if you have to buy them at player shop.

I do it for probably they same reason most do it. I enjoy making my own gear and i don't want to be in a situation later when i cant get my hands on need edgear for my lvl.

If we all making our own gear and getting gear for monster drops who 's left to buy them? Maybe players will stop leveling up all crafting skills now cause its difficult and expensive to get all materials. They may just specialize in one area and buy the rest. I think that is the way the game is designed, to have people specializing in one crafting skill and trading to get other needed gear. Trying to do all skills may get overwhelming.
  • necro999
    necro999 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Oh, i have a question. What would you all say is the type of gear in highest demand?

Is it high strength requirement armor, or high magic requirement or the mid range with dex and str requirement?

Is physical defence or evade or +HP or elemental defense most valued ?
  • Ren - Lost City
    Ren - Lost City Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The only way to profit from crafts is selling quest 2 stars.
    The rest, you lose money. Game needs to pump out mats from tw, not inflating useless gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zoe is so full of it, that he must be Karmelia.
  • Neoxtemplar - Lost City
    Neoxtemplar - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Keep in mind that this is a game and not real life, so rl comparisons are not adequate comparisons.
    1. People can be self-sufficient in the game and learn how to make clothes and weapons, something that does not happen in rl.
    2. Crafting is a skill, and people get satisfaction from leveling a skill and are willing to sacrifice money to advance just as they would sacrifice money to go up a level.
    3. Crafted materials do not pwn regular store-bought items enough to matter at the lower levels.
    4. Not many people realize you cannot level to lvl4 until you are lvl50 and are rushing to level their manufacturing skills needlessly.
  • Ren - Lost City
    Ren - Lost City Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Don't forget it takes like 1 mil per craft to 5. Excluding apothecary, I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zoe is so full of it, that he must be Karmelia.
  • audibleaura
    audibleaura Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    seems like crafting is broken in this game =( ... to bad... www.EvEOnline.com has most awsome crafting program!! almost EVERYTHING that is in the game is made by the people who play it =)b:chuckle
  • Dsholder - Dreamweaver
    Dsholder - Dreamweaver Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I think that if you farm a little each day and save mats from your monster drops then it is enough for you to craft your own equipments for your levels. This is probably why you get less rough fur and purified oils at a higher level in the game.
    [SIGPIC]http://a.imageshack.us/img714/9433/testoz.jpg[/SIGPIC]

If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke.
  • Grounpounder - Dreamweaver
    Grounpounder - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    necro999 wrote: »
    Oh, i have a question. What would you all say is the type of gear in highest demand?

Is it high strength requirement armor, or high magic requirement or the mid range with dex and str requirement?

Is physical defence or evade or +HP or elemental defense most valued ?
    power ups sold at auchion bring good value plus they are used up and soon need more
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    WHY...DID...YOU...NECRO!!

b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Hellvuur - Heavens Tear
    Hellvuur - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Lol to get to lv4 BS is wasted over 500K to even make 1 of the 2Starred weps lol b:cry
    Like seeing big numbers pop up on your screen? Chances are you're a Wizard b:bye

*Pling* you just been buffed by a wizzy

Going Squishy mode ^.^
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Konari summed this up nicely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.