difference between PVP and PVE?

acecard
acecard Posts: 7 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
i'm sure someone has asked this already but i can't find the tread so i'm asking again.

i played the closed beta on a PVP server and there were still monsters to fight, if this it the PVP sever is going to be the same in the open beta what is different about the PVE servers?
Post edited by acecard on

Comments

• embl3m
    embl3m Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    you have to be level 30 to kill other people

PvE has an option to turn off the ability to be killed after level 30, while PVP servers do not.
  • petzku00
    petzku00 Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    In Pvp server when you get lvl30 your not safe from others lvl30+ players, they can kill you if they want and you can kill them if you want. There is some penaltis when you kill ppl, someone can tell this.(name turn pink,red)

Pve server you can choose when you want to turn that safemode off/on(lvl 30). so if there is 2 ppl turned safemode off, they can kill each other when they see each other in battlefield(grind area). if you have safemode on,you can't kill ppl whit safemode off and they can't kill you.

Both have duel option, you can challence someone to fight.
    Both have Territory war's (TW)
    Both have arena where can kill ppl whitout penaltis.

That what i understand, someone tell more and correct my post.
    [SIGPIC]Tiger[/SIGPIC]
  • atiori
    atiori Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    petzku00 wrote: »
    In Pvp server when you get lvl30 your not safe from others lvl30+ players, they can kill you if they want and you can kill them if you want. There is some penaltis when you kill ppl, someone can tell this.(name turn pink,red)
    I think its worth mentioning that PW has safe zones. You can't PK in towns. (there could be places besides towns, not sure)
  • acecard
    edited August 2008
    ok just wondering what the difference was 4 when i need to decide which server to go on. so from what your telling me PVE is the better one to go on, i want 2 hear other people's opinion on this
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    acecard wrote: »
    ok just wondering what the difference was 4 when i need to decide which server to go on. so from what your telling me PVE is the better one to go on, i want 2 hear other people's opinion on this

If you like to play in a more risky environment where you can attack / be attacked anytime you are out of a safe zone, then go on a PvP server.

If you like to play in a more safer environment where you can only be attacked when you choose to, go on a PvE server.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    If you like getting KSed into oblivion, play a pve server.

If you like killing people who **** you off (such people would always be blue named on the pve server), play a PVP server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • siberian
    siberian Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ren wrote: »

If you like killing people who **** you off (such people would always be blue named on the pve server), play a PVP server.

Ragequit eh? :) That's a little biased of an opinion (Regequit needs people to play pvp so they can pk them...otherwise all their fun is gone :p )

Correct though, you will get a lot of problems with KS'ing on a PvE server, but you will find problems with PK'ers on a PvP server - you can try killing people who pk you but generally pk'ers will hunt people much lower level than them so you just have to suck it up and take being killed for someone else's fun.

If you pk someone, your name goes darker and darker shades of red - they get lighter over time until they are white again. And unless you are carrying Guardian Angels, if you get killed when you are red you will end up dropping equipment - if you are white there is almost no chance you'll lose anything. There's no punishment if you get pk'd while white, it's just annoying.

Oh and KS'ing will happen on a PvP server too, not as frequently but if you KS someone they will try and kill you - turning them red....what happens then is up to you, but I used to KS people so my Partner could PK them for their equips without penalty once they hit me, we made good cash doing that :)

...I'd reccomend the PvP server, seriously, it's the difference between life at high speed and life in the parking lot :)
  • acecard
    edited August 2008
    thanks 4 the output, i'll admit i like the idea of a free world with PKers sort of adds a different aspect to playing the game but it probably would get anoying after awhile... oh and this is going to be a noob question but what is KSing, i've herd of PKing but i've never herd the term KSing?

oh nm i figured it out i means Kill stealers right?
  • siberian
    siberian Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    acecard wrote: »
    thanks 4 the output, i'll admit i like the idea of a free world with PKers sort of adds a different aspect to playing the game but it probably would get anoying after awhile... oh and this is going to be a noob question but what is KSing, i've herd of PKing but i've never herd the term KSing?

oh nm i figured it out i means Kill stealers right?

Exactamundo...KS = Kill Stealing...

Don't get the wrong impression, I brought an alt up in MY-EN recently (on oracle) and she only got PK'd like 3 times - and that was between levels 0-70 in an old server - so it's not all that common (unless you end up annoying the wrong people :) )
  • acecard
    edited August 2008
    ic well i think i'll go with the PVP server, because i would rather get PKed then to have someone KS me, lol.
  • wabbitt
    wabbitt Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    For every time someone deliberately tries to KS you, you will get 1000 times where someone just attacks the same mob by accident. It happens all the time in zones where there are lots of people.

I got a venomancer up to level 80 on PW-MY-EN and I cant remember a single time when I was deliberately KS'd, but there were tons of time someone else targetted the swame mob as me to kill.

We just move off our opposite ways and thats the end of it. Dont let the PK'ers fool you into thinking that you need to be an a "pvp" server to avoid tons of kill stealing. Its a load of bull.
  • kaeriin
    kaeriin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    wabbitt wrote: »
    For every time someone deliberately tries to KS you, you will get 1000 times where someone just attacks the same mob by accident. It happens all the time in zones where there are lots of people.

I got a venomancer up to level 80 on PW-MY-EN and I cant remember a single time when I was deliberately KS'd, but there were tons of time someone else targetted the swame mob as me to kill.

We just move off our opposite ways and thats the end of it. Dont let the PK'ers fool you into thinking that you need to be an a "pvp" server to avoid tons of kill stealing. Its a load of bull.

Exactly, thats PvP players trying to bring you in for more PKing fun :rolleyes:

I never got KSed, and I think the concept is ridiculous... if you are killing the same monsters as someone else, odds are youre dong the same quest, and so why dont you party? If youre just exping, go dif ways like you said, because the areas are big enough to have 4-5 people killing dif monsters at the same zone

Plus the PvE server wont be as populated as the PvP one, which makes it even less of an issue... So what was the problem again? You need noobs to pk because you cant enjoy the game for itself? Oh right... Thought so
  • tatakairyu
    tatakairyu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    kaeriin wrote: »
    Exactly, thats PvP players trying to bring you in for more PKing fun :rolleyes:

I never got KSed, and I think the concept is ridiculous... if you are killing the same monsters as someone else, odds are youre dong the same quest, and so why dont you party? If youre just exping, go dif ways like you said, because the areas are big enough to have 4-5 people killing dif monsters at the same zone

Plus the PvE server wont be as populated as the PvP one, which makes it even less of an issue... So what was the problem again? You need noobs to pk because you cant enjoy the game for itself? Oh right... Thought so

Who said pkers needed "noobs" to pk? We just want more people to pk, whether they be godly or not. Is that wrong? Just because YOU never got ksed doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

You've got it backwards, WE(as in pkers) can't enjoy the game for itself? You mean YOU (directed at kaeriin not the entire pve community) can't considering pking IS part of the game which you obviously don't seem to understand. So who was it that couldn't enjoy the game for itself? "Oh right... Thought so"
  • jacktheriper
    jacktheriper Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Pvp is person versus person, but pve is person versus everyone.
  • nisu
    nisu Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    lose any stuff when killed? everything?nothing?inv only?
  • tatakairyu
    tatakairyu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    If you're white named you have a very small chance of losing something in your inv. Red names can drop equipped stuff but there are cash shop items that prevent people from losing stuff. (correct me if i'm wrong, just going by what other people have answered in these forums.)
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Pvp is person versus person, but pve is person versus everyone.

Wrong, PvE is Player vs Environment (aka npcs/mobs (mobile objects))

PVE server is a broken not-so Perfect World..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    ren wrote: »

If you like getting Ganked into oblivion by players 50 levels above you against which you have absolutely no chance of defending yourself, play a PvP server.

If you like to be able to play without getting PKed every time you go out of a safe zone, go play on a PVE server.

Don't worry about being KSed. There are enough mobs so it won't happen very often pas the few first levels..
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    nisu wrote: »
    lose any stuff when killed? everything?nothing?inv only?

Yes, you can even loose some cash shop items (aviations), weapons, armors, etc....

• t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I love these threads ;D

I'm not going to argue anymore though. I've had my fair share of fun, time to let other people enjoy it ;D
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    karmelia wrote: »
    Yes, you can even loose some cash shop items (aviations), weapons, armors, etc....

You can lose Cash Shop items? Talk about a heavy price to pay for taking a life...
  • acecard
    edited August 2008
    lol never thought this would turn into a heated debate, but all these comments are very helpful bacicly from what i've read the best thing to really do is just pick one, and whether i get PKed or someone KSs me it's all just part of the game lol. and because i've never played on any of the other servers 4 this game i have really no idea what is best until i actually play the open.