Custom Resolutions

cuthebert
cuthebert Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Support Desk
Hey,

I like to play windowed, but I run my monitor at 1280x1024, so I like to run other games I play at 1152x864. When I played PW MY-EN, it didn't support this, but would let me drag the window out larger, then it would remember this the next time I started. It also said "custom" under resolution setting after I did this. This version just resets to 1024x768 everytime. Any ideas on doing a custom res?

Thanks.
Post edited by cuthebert on

Comments

• ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    There is one way I know, but that involves editing the systemsettings.ini file in C:\Program Files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\element\userdata

Considering this file just basically stores all the options you choose on the System Settings GUI, I don't believe there's any harm in editing this manually just to set your desired resolution. I'll have to check with the admins as to whether or not you're actually allowed to do this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Wtf, no custom resolution like MY-EN has? The patcher won't let me use 1600x1150 res, and I NEED my res to be that large.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • ketsunfwu
    ketsunfwu Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ryuuzaki wrote: »
    Considering this file just basically stores all the options you choose on the System Settings GUI, I don't believe there's any harm in editing this manually just to set your desired resolution. I'll have to check with the admins as to whether or not you're actually allowed to do this.

Editing config files isn't the same as editing data files, since config files aren't really considered part of the un-modifiable software. =P
    EULA wrote:
    2. License Limitations. The preceding states the entirety of your rights with respect to the Software, and we reserve all rights not expressly granted to you in this Agreement. Without limiting the foregoing, you will not do, or authorize or permit any third party to do, any of the following:
    blah blah blah...
    (d) modify, alter or create any derivative works of the Software;
    Editing configuration files isn't considered to be creation of "derivative works" - otherwise you'll automatically be liable to be sued every time you change a setting or option in almost any commercial software package (because most have similar clauses in the EULA). =P
    (f) use any third party software to modify the Software or the Service or to change game play;
    If we are to take the definition of `gameplay` to == academic equivalent `game mechanics`, this isn't a problem, since you aren't even close changing them at all.
    ___
    Note: I'm not qualified to give legal advice. =P
    ~ 林俊杰 (aka KetsuNfwu)
    Simple sig because my usual is 150px in height. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ I speak English + Chinese. 英文和华文是我的双母语。 ]
This discussion has been closed.