I got a new computer. ;)

rufus
rufus Posts: 104 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Off-Topic Discussion
It's slightly more than 2x better then my old computer, and yet the guy selling it to us still said it wasn't that good.

2gig ram
500gig harddrive
it came with 5.1 surrond sound speakers, 22inch widescreen LCD monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Plus the computer itself just looks awesome.
Windows Vista (which is really confusing... but it's cool too so it equals out)

Altogether the cost was 1,345$AUD.

That's better than my old computer which was 1gig ram, 120gig hardrive, old near-broken keyboard and mouse, broken speakers and 19inch normal screen which cost us 1800$AUD when we bought it lol

Just thought I'd tell you guys because I remember someone told me to upgrade my monitor and I went out and bought a whole new computer instead. :)
Post edited by rufus on

Comments

• kelansan
    kelansan Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Get rid of vista and your computer will kick ****. I actually uninstalled it from my new laptop and installed XP, because Vista just sucked SO incredibly badly that it made my laptop ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wolfy142
    wolfy142 Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    hard drive size doesnt affect speed, the rate per sec or minute idk does affect the speed, not the size of the magnetic hard drive field :P

2gigs of ram suck at vista, you need at least 3+ at vista, even the basic services requrie 600mb or more, i've optimized my xp and my startup is about with basic services is.... 100mb, so.... vista sucks man :D

note that that is page file, the virtual memory in task manager is page file, not ram.

ram changes with every second ;-p
  • rufus
    rufus Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    vista looks too cool to downgrade back to XP though.

I think what you're saying is, is that I should buy 3gig of ram and replace the 2 with that one? because I could do that if you think it's best. well i couldn't personally replace it I have no idea lol but my brother builds computers so he could install it for free :p
  • kelansan
    edited August 2008
    I don't agree. I'd rather have a smooth running, crisp game at the highest settings, than a pretty looking desktop, but that's just me. Maybe you stare at your desktop all day.

Also even if you go up to 3GB, you're still wasting a huge amount of ram to cloggy vista, and your computer will still not be as good as it should be. And vista's buggy as hell. So many programs and games crash or just run badly on it that it's a pain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vigor
    vigor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    rufus wrote: »

Get WindowBlinds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lost City
  • bobobob
    bobobob Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I got 2 computers the one im using now has 250 gig hard drive with 2gig ram and im using xp my other one has 500 gig hard drive with 3 gig ram and im using vista.:D
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=15790000&dateline=1218674145
    Your Current Signature Picture[/SIGPIC]
    bobobob = AccuXracy and Accu
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    You got a new computer before I did >.<

Well mine is gonna be better, with Asus Processor and Dual Core, and I'll try to get 8800 GForce =D

sealed~
  • saiyuka
    saiyuka Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ewwww vista the things that matter

-what type of graphics card you have

- processors

go to Start>run>dxdiag>display tab most games should be run with xp imo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MY PSP background :D
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008

I think what you're saying is, is that I should buy 3gig of ram and replace the 2 with that one? because I could do that if you think it's best. well i couldn't personally replace it I have no idea lol but my brother builds computers so he could install it for free :p

My specs run crysis fine at max (exept for the lame blur and shaders) at 1600x1200.
    64 bit uses more ram than 32 bit so... yeah. Just do some tweaking, I'd rather die than use vista's default settings/services.
    2gb of ram is absolutely fine enough for high end gaming (can't speak for aoc though... that one might actually get practical use from 4gb), 4gb is nice, anything more depends on how much photoshopping and avisynth usage you do.

And I hope to god you're using vista 64 bit, 32 bit vista is completely useless, you're better off just staying with XP if you gonna use obsolete 32bit bulls***.
    sealed wrote: »
    You got a new computer before I did >.<

Well mine is gonna be better, with Asus Processor and Dual Core, and I'll try to get 8800 GForce =D

sealed~

Asus doesn't make processors, they make boards like video cards, motherboards, etc. I do hope you're going intel, amd fails it.
    As for nvidia video cards... they supposedly run cooler than ati (and are in fact more powerful), but the official drivers have broken antialiasing. Games that let you apply AA ingame work, but for PW and other obsolete games, forcing it in the drivers won't work unless you use 3rd party drivers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • wolfy142
    edited August 2008
    first of all, if you cant take the diffrence between dual core and core 2 duo, your an idiot
    here it goes

dual core

quad core

core 2 duo

core 2 quad

core 2 duo extreme

core 2 quad extreme

learn to think.
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    wolfy142 wrote: »
    first of all, if you cant take the diffrence between dual core and core 2 duo, your an idiot
    here it goes

dual core

quad core

core 2 duo

core 2 quad

core 2 duo extreme

core 2 quad extreme

learn to think.

The way you word that doesn't make you seem any smarter.

But yeah. I will laugh my **** off if he ends up with some ghetto Core 1 duo or something due to being technologically inept. <_<
    Or worse... gets a prebuilt computer instead of building his own from quality parts. I've laughed my **** off at so many people who got scammed, inferior parts, overcharged, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • jacktheriper
    jacktheriper Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    As a technitian ild have to say that core duo and core2duo only differ in transfer speeds, but both have two cores. And as for Win Vista then it wont need 1.5GB ram unless you use 64bit editions that may use up to 2GB of ram. Then theres graphics that can be changed all the time unless you are useing a laptop with integrated chipset. I personally have 6 computers (2 pc-s and the rest (4) are laptops).
  • hong
    hong Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    It's slightly more than 2x better then my old computer, and yet the guy selling it to us still said it wasn't that good.

2gig ram
    500gig harddrive
    it came with 5.1 surrond sound speakers, 22inch widescreen LCD monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

That's better than my old computer which was 1gig ram, 120gig hardrive, old near-broken keyboard and mouse, broken speakers and 19inch normal screen which cost us 1800$AUD when we bought it lol

Just thought I'd tell you guys because I remember someone told me to upgrade my monitor and I went out and bought a whole new computer instead. :)

You got ripoff and you can't even explain what your computer has. 1.3 AUD gram for that piece of ****!? Bought it from Futureshop or something?
    RoC.
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    As a technitian ild have to say that core duo and core2duo only differ in transfer speeds, but both have two cores.

Core 1 don't support 64 bit, and core 1 and earlier intels are less efficient per mhz clock rate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blaze
    blaze Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008

2gig ram
    500gig harddrive

Just thought I'd tell you guys because I remember someone told me to upgrade my monitor and I went out and bought a whole new computer instead.

Umm.... how about you tell us about your CPU and graphics card too? xD
    The only useful information you gave us is your ram, which isnt really that important.
    What kinda CPU do you have and what graphics card?

I'm pretty sure you got ripped off with your new comp tho since I had to pay 800
  • wolfy142
    edited August 2008
    what an idiot

heres something you can realy trust, its combinations for optizming

http://www.nvidia.com/content/opc/v2/configurator.asp

btw all those alienware and amateur stores suck, they dont even put the right cpu combined with gpu, and motherboard, and plus they have high price

you can compare some gpu here http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html(doesnt show the core clock and memory clock and shader clock though, you can find it on another page on nvidia.com)
    2gig ram
    500gig harddrive
    - doesnt need to look awesome, idiot, its only the "wraper" (case) of it, open it and you wil see what **** is inside baby :D

obviously you got ripped of motha ****a
  • severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    2 words for you
    KILL VISTA
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • wolfy142
    edited August 2008
    1 sign for vista:

..l..
  • vigor
    vigor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Only good thing Vista has is DX10 which I'm sure everyone can live without.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lost City
  • wolfy142
    edited August 2008
    Dx10 Sucks Homiezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • olks
    olks Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    get rid of the vista, vista sucks it realy sucks:D
  • jacktheriper
    edited August 2008
    Youre right about the 64bit just like i said it all comes down to transfer speed and as for vista then try not to insult it too much or ill start feeling bad about makeing the certification on it. So plz no more **** and if u wanna help give me a fast quiz :)
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Vista's just fine if you got it free and waste a few hours changing settings!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hong
    edited August 2008
    Vista = 3-4gb ram and more. Plus, you don't need to do anything cause Vista only takes a really small portion of your ram. No game needs 4gb ram yet, so it doesn't make a difference. Vista takes like what, 100mb of ram? And yeah, you'll have to change some stuff. It's worth it, if you don't learn Vista now, have fun in the future.
    RoC.
  • jacktheriper
    edited August 2008
    nope thats not correct because if u have less than 512MB of ram your computer will give you a big **** you in your face, doesnt move but makes alot of sound thinking, but it runs with 512MB evendough it lags sometimes hard, sometimes less than usual. But you dont need to buy 3GB of ram because you are scared that the computer is gonna crash on some simple 3D engine. (I personally have had programmed on a pc with 1GB of ram and that held operatively 2 other versions of vista at the same time, but it lagged sometimes a little.)
  • hong
    edited August 2008
    It's not worth having Vista if your ram is below 3gb, period.
    RoC.
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    hong wrote: »
    It's not worth having Vista if your ram is below 3gb, period.

2gb *

I can run crysis fine on high with 64bit vista on high. But any game that uses over ~1.3gb of ram (not many will) is gonna start touching the page file.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hong
    edited August 2008
    ren wrote: »
    2gb *

I can run crysis fine on high with 64bit vista on high. But any game that uses over ~1.3gb of ram (not many will) is gonna start touching the page file.

That's hard to believe, how many GPU did you slot in? 2-3 or just one? Most people have difficulty running Crysis at full with 2GB + 1GPU. Even though Crysis says it requires 2gb, the 2gb is decreased due to Vista.
    RoC.
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    One, turn the stupid shaders to low and it'll run fine. Obviously I didn't have hax framerate, but playable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kelansan
    edited August 2008
    He's keeping vista because he thinks it looks pretty. If he's that stupid, then I guess he deserves vista. XD Vista's like that hot looking blond chick you dated in college, she looks real hot, but she's dumber than a doorstop, and mostly useless, incapable, flaky, unstable, and annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]