Can we chose sex?

13»

Comments

• ellis911
    ellis911 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I understand that but I would really want to play as a male werefox. I think it would be cool if it looked like Yoko Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho
  • sidot
    sidot Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Yeah it's true, but what the heck!

Since the majority (i'd say from what i've seend about 78% *picks figure from air*) of venomancers are male, most other players SHOULDN'T mistake you for a girl...

If they want to hook up with a gal then they should just ask the person straight ''Excuse me, but are you IRL a girl or a guy'' Simple, easy.

As you can see from my siggy i'm a dude playing a venomancer. So what!? They're the best in my opinon, especially with pets. I'd rather have to look at a cute gal character than a slightly ghey looking male archer.... (no offence b:sad)
    b:victoryb:victoryb:victoryb:victoryb:victory

Characters: (BTW i'm almost always in the heaven server)

BloodyManiac = Elf Archer (Male) lv x0
    YumeTuskia = Venomancer (female duhh) lv x0

I'm a dude have fun? b:surrender
  • YaoJun - Sanctuary
    YaoJun - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Fox demons in Chinese mythology were exclusively female (and attractive ones at that) who are akin to vampires in Western mythology. They preyed on male travelers at night on lonely road and either drank their blood or ate them depending on who was telling the story. Additionally they could only reproduce by mating with a human male to produce either males who became legendary heros or females which become fox demons like their mothers. Almost all of these tales about relationships between female fox demons and male nocturnal lovers ended with some form of tradegy almost as if the story tellers were frowning on inter-specie relationships and this type of thinking is apparent even within the Perfect World universe - prime example being what happened to the venomancer NPC at the Gate of Antiquity who fell in love with a human male.

On the otherhand in Japanese mythology fox demons are more like woodland spirits and could be of either gender. Shippo from the Inuyasha stories being a good contemporary example. The premises behind Inuyasha and Kagome's relationship is interesting in its own right as by any definition it is inter-specie ...

PWI for the most part seems to be based on (one view) of Chinese mythology so in this context the female only venomancers makes sense. Not sure about werebeasts and their roots in Chinese mythology though, however, once again in the PWI context they make a good complement to female venomancers.

As for people playing characters of the opposite gender there is nothing intrinsically wrong with this whatever their personal reason. It should not be an issue as seriously, these are just games. It is, however, interesting to read some of the (passionate(?)) responses posted in this discussion.

One should not be looking for "love" within an online game - seriously - there are online dating sites and chat rooms for that sort of thing. And as for characters marrying each other ... maybe if they knew each other in real life that might arguably be a good thing, but even then it is potentially a problematic proposition.

Take the game for what it is, a few hours a day as a fantasy diversion, nothing more.

Thank you so so much,as I was just about to point out the whole werefox and Chinese mythology thing.

Also,just to add my own views to the topic,play whatever class you people want.I doubt anyone who plays this game will be too macho to make a venomancer.
  • Luceria - Lost City
    Luceria - Lost City Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    lol, some of the quotes are funny. Im a girl and i chose venomancer, i thought that it sucked taht you couldnt be a male too when i noticed, my boyfrind loved the thought of battlepets but he didnit want to play a girl charachter. Venos arent only fox girls, although thats what i chose, you can be a cat, fox, bat, or deer i think is the other one, i could never figure out what that one was, and and bunny. What really sucks is that we can only chose the defaults, i wanted to be a silver and black fox, but reds our only choice
  • ForlornSoul - Sanctuary
    ForlornSoul - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Are you kidding? I'm a guy, and if I have to stare at my character's **** while I play, I'll damn well make sure it's a female :D Besides, the venomancers look pretty hot with the tails and ears.

AMG, figured it was only me, i remade half my GW chars because the armor looked better, and if i was staring at a toon running along, at least it should be cute >.<
  • Zhangjunyi - Sanctuary
    Zhangjunyi - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Fox demons in Chinese mythology were exclusively female (and attractive ones at that) who are akin to vampires in Western mythology. They preyed on male travelers at night on lonely road and either drank their blood or ate them depending on who was telling the story. Additionally they could only reproduce by mating with a human male to produce either males who became legendary heros or females which become fox demons like their mothers. Almost all of these tales about relationships between female fox demons and male nocturnal lovers ended with some form of tradegy almost as if the story tellers were frowning on inter-specie relationships and this type of thinking is apparent even within the Perfect World universe - prime example being what happened to the venomancer NPC at the Gate of Antiquity who fell in love with a human male.

There are a few instances of male human-spirits-in-fox-forms in Chinese mythology, but they are commonly associated with (male) love stories. (Oh, and the dragon-farmer story, but let's not talk about that.)
    Also, within the Perfect World universe there is also a class of flying Legolas elves. Looking at the way the elf world is designed, I would say that it bears little resemblance to any classical Chinese mythology.

Personally, as a female, I'd love to be able to play as a big, furry, muscled, horrific, badass female barbarian. Likewise, I'd love to have to sit and stare at a sexy, slinky, scantily-clad guy with the "neko"-fetish animal parts.

I've also never once heard anywhere else of guys not wanting to play as scantily clad female characters. That's why they're scantily clad in the first place!
  • Qcat - Heavens Tear
    Qcat - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i would love to play a cute skinny guy with a cat tails and ears so i was a lil sad when i found out i couldn't i guess its alright but still it would have been niceb:surrender
  • cronoslave
    cronoslave Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, and what about female barbs? Make her look like Cheetara.
  • Avalonya - Lost City
    Avalonya - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Personally, I think that if they really designed it right, they could open both genders for the untamed. I think that if they used the same female base but put the anthropomorphic features of the barb on top, it would look just fine. And vice versa for a male veno. That's my 2 cents.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Holly necro batman.... You guys really dug this one up
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • BOYroALEX - Sanctuary
    BOYroALEX - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    "75% of venos are guys in real life" said Salvation - Harshlands. If thath is real, i can't understand why there isn't stil a male venomancer. All my venomancers have in their name the word BOY(male). And if i can see this topic is very posted, i think well thath this problem could make some people leave PWI. Here i think it comes another thing: the game is a bit too old to make now change thath big so........ But i realy wish a male venomancer.

Is a thing i said in another topic, same subject.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I want a Male Rat Venomancer. It really wouldn't be hard to make the males as long as you used the slender animals, IE, Rat, Weasel, etc. After all, Venomancers evolved from the slinking, venomous animals. Basically, the lower, sneakier animals, the ones that nobody considers a threat, more of a pest. So, design the males around this ideology. On a sidenote, I'd also like to see a Female Panther or something for the Barbs. With the knowledge that there is a new weapon out there for an unknown purpose, who knows what may happen.
  • Aliiceka - Heavens Tear
    Aliiceka - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I want a Male Rat Venomancer. It really wouldn't be hard to make the males as long as you used the slender animals, IE, Rat, Weasel, etc. After all, Venomancers evolved from the slinking, venomous animals. Basically, the lower, sneakier animals, the ones that nobody considers a threat, more of a pest. So, design the males around this ideology. On a sidenote, I'd also like to see a Female Panther or something for the Barbs. With the knowledge that there is a new weapon out there for an unknown purpose, who knows what may happen.

AGREED!
    untamed should be like the other classes >:O I mean, you can choose your gender for them, why not for barbs and venos? it's kinda stereotypical right now...

also, (off-topic) I don't think cats are "lower, sneakier" even though they technically are. :< cats are awesome
    这儿没人会简体吗?
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    AGREED!
    untamed should be like the other classes >:O I mean, you can choose your gender for them, why not for barbs and venos? it's kinda stereotypical right now...

also, (off-topic) I don't think cats are "lower, sneakier" even though they technically are. :< cats are awesome

Cats are awesome. They're also some of the sneakiest creatures you'll ever meet... And on the grand scheme of the food chain, the house cat, which is what Cat Venos really are, is kinda low, but proud. Cats FTW.
  • Dandelyn - Heavens Tear
    Dandelyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I think a female version of a WB would be like Cheetarah from Thundercats. Graceful yet assertive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aliiceka - Heavens Tear
    Aliiceka - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    cats Are Awesome. They're Also Some Of The Sneakiest Creatures You'll Ever Meet... And On The Grand Scheme Of The Food Chain, The House Cat, Which Is What Cat Venos Really Are, Is Kinda Low, But Proud. Cats Ftw.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! >:D
    这儿没人会简体吗?
  • albinofox
    albinofox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    This is an awesome topic. I am a guy playing a veno. They are adorable but you see them all over the game. It would be nice to see a guy veno running around and doing quests or see them carrying a female veno around. I think the female venos are lonely especially with the barbarians. What is keeping this race together. I myself would not get together with a barbarian if there was an elf or human with skin like me and looked cute. I like the girl venomancers but I do agree the male venomancer would be awesome. I think a tail sticking out their rear would look awesome. I myself would not mind having fox ears and a tail.
  • arawon
    arawon Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Very disappointed that WF female only. I cannot make myself play a female.This really should be changed imo.
  • Maddieson - Sanctuary
    Maddieson - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Really people? This topic again?

Venomancers are not going to be sex choosable. ever
    It's not my job to shut you down on a suggestion. It's a pleasure, though.
  • Plicid - Heavens Tear
    Plicid - Heavens Tear Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I honestly dont mind it that much. It is a cool concept, now if there was a male Veno I would have made it, but if they came out with one no way I would reroll just because I am afraid people will think Im a girl. Yes game is too far along in my opinion to change gender on Untamed.

I still say they should allow the embrace function to work on same gender characters/and or same sex marrage. Wont happen but with so many male Venos would be nice.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    "75% of venos are guys in real life" said Salvation - Harshlands. If thath is real, i can't understand why there isn't stil a male venomancer.

Because they didn't design the class based on who was playing it, but on what the concept the class was based on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nunu97
    nunu97 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    i would love a male venomancer or somthin close to it me and a couple friends hav been discussing it so i decided put as a thread -signed ghostly97~flyingarrows
  • tanjarenate
    tanjarenate Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    millenium wrote: »
    Venomancer is female only. Only the almighty females can convert monsters into eggs. Thats pretty straight-forward there. :P

Ahaha, I laughed. and yeah, I noticed. Everyone asks me if I'm a boy or girl, (I'm a friggin girl!) since it's pretty common for boys to play females in MMORPG's. That's sad tho.
  • BordoRose - Sanctuary
    BordoRose - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    It's not sad o.O It's something quite normal. Boys want character which have **** not 6pack b:chuckle
    I know tons girls which play male characters.

And male Veno? Neah... >.<

But I agree with Plicid. Same sex embrace can be fun b:laugh

(sorry all for my not too good English b:shocked )
  • matokni55
    matokni55 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    im a boy and id really like to be a veno mancer so if anyone is reading this i beg you to put a request for there to be male venomancers please, and if a gm sees this please help me :thanksb
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    this thread is a year old X__X
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Spoons must have missed this one... He has been really good at tracking down necroed threads....

Could a mod please either close this thread of move it someplace else? Or both I guess.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Reisui - Harshlands
    Reisui - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    I honestly dont mind it that much. It is a cool concept, now if there was a male Veno I would have made it, but if they came out with one no way I would reroll just because I am afraid people will think Im a girl. Yes game is too far along in my opinion to change gender on Untamed.

I still say they should allow the embrace function to work on same gender characters/and or same sex marrage. Wont happen but with so many male Venos would be nice.

would most certainly make transporting in style far easier. I was just talking with someone the other day how it's actually far more profitable to have a female character especially when in a very active guild and such... when you don't know how to get somewhere or ur too low lvl to get there in one piece, just whistle for a nearby male character comrade that heads that way anyway, and there you have it. :P

A male character could never have it like that... poor oppressed guys... *pats all with one huge hand*

I'd like to see a neko male veno *has a bit of a fetish there* but while g.i.r.l.s are a bit freakish, I can always take advantage of it, and understand it fully. b:victory
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Thread Start 07-22-2008, 09:14 AM by thorn

12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
    YaoJun - Sanctuary

01-02-2009, 03:18 PM
    lol, some of the quotes are funny. Im a girl and i chose venomancer, i thought that it sucked taht you couldnt be a male too when i noticed, my boyfrind loved the thought of battlepets but he didnit want to play a girl charachter. Venos arent only fox girls, although thats what i chose, you can be a cat, fox, bat, or deer i think is the other one, i could never figure out what that one was, and and bunny. What really sucks is that we can only chose the defaults, i wanted to be a silver and black fox, but reds our only choice

05-29-2009, 11:25 AM
    Holly necro batman.... You guys really dug this one up

07-15-2009 08:02 PM
    this thread is a year old X__X

Today 11:52 PM (Jul 2010)
    Reisui - Harshlands

How many times has these thread revived from it eternal slumber ? b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...