New classes: Technician and Edgerunner. Builds?

reaperess#1895
reaperess#1895 Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
I'm not entirely sure what the recommended skill spread is for these two.

Technician seems to basically be the standard DeX spread (1 str and 4 dex/level)

The Edgerunner is a bit different. My guess is that it's closer to a seeker in terms of how to stat them, although I'm not quite level 10 either on that one.

Anyone have any insight for me?

Edit: I think I was mistaken about the edgerunner build. It should probably be styled closer to that of a Barb or a Blademaster, depending on play-style.

Edit 2: the Shield Sword seems to follow the same requirements (as far as I can tell) as the DH/DA of the Barb/BM. So it stands to reason that 3 Str and .5 Dex is all that's required to wield gear.
Or 6 Str/1 Dex per 2 levels, leaving 3 points free to be used however you wish. Although, judging by the skill descriptions, these points might best be used in Vit since that seems to have the most synergy with their skills.

There's probably a bit of wiggle room there. If you want an extra point in STR or Dex as you level that should be fine. At this time I wouldn't consider it exactly a strict adherence.

For both classes, magic seems to be an absolute dump stat.

Edit 3: After reading over the skills, and the classes statistics on the pwipedia, I ha e come to the conclusion that the Edgerunner is a DPS/off Tank kind of class with some serious debuff potential.

In terms of "Tankiness" of the other classes, I would consider them to be Barbarian> Edgerunner> Seeker/Psychic> Bladdmaster

DPS compared to other physical classes: Duskblade/Assasin/Fist Blademaster> Edgerunner/Seeker (Edgerunner being more of a single target rather than AoE like the Seeker.

This makes the Edgerunner a bit of a Jack-of-all-trades, especially when considering that he can, at later levels, cherry pick his damage type in order to deal the most damage possible via elemental weaknesses. This, in theory, could push him to be slightly better at DPS than I have guessed here. If so, then i would consider him on par with the Duskblade, and possibly more so than the assassin.

In short, the Edgerunner is an all around good class with the ability to fill just about any role (except healing, or true ranged combat).

Please take all of this with a grain of salt, as I have been away from the game for a year or 2, and have yet to reach any level of note at the time of writing this.
Post edited by reaperess#1895 on

Comments

• nunuator
    nunuator Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    And wayyy off on edge runner build when u need to find out how to stat a toon go into warsong... look at peerless forge and check R9 stat requirements for gear and weapon...

As a full R9 Edge I can say that anything over 55 dex is a waste as u gain minimal crit rate from it and you never miss in any elemental stance making accuracy useless
    You can sit at roughly 900+ str easy with crown emperor etc w/o G16 helm/cape and dmg is completely broken as u can deal full elemental dmg which is calculated based off of your physical attack (55-67k) completely maxed out with 15 apt dbl patk chart and 2/2/2 sets

But ok waste extra dex points cause u don’t want to look at forges I won’t judge and may as well “upgrade” to china weapon to then since the 6% crit rate potential on Rank 9 3rd wep is a waste as well lol

Now the HP wise thing not a bad idea but full vit build isn’t effective +15 vit stones would do you a lot better than points wasted in vit
  • reaperess#1895
    nunuator wrote: »
    And wayyy off on edge runner build when u need to find out how to stat a toon go into warsong... look at peerless forge and check R9 stat requirements for gear and weapon...

As a full R9 Edge I can say that anything over 55 dex is a waste as u gain minimal crit rate from it and you never miss in any elemental stance making accuracy useless
    You can sit at roughly 900+ str easy with crown emperor etc w/o G16 helm/cape and dmg is completely broken as u can deal full elemental dmg which is calculated based off of your physical attack (55-67k) completely maxed out with 15 apt dbl patk chart and 2/2/2 sets

But ok waste extra dex points cause u don’t want to look at forges I won’t judge and may as well “upgrade” to china weapon to then since the 6% crit rate potential on Rank 9 3rd wep is a waste as well lol

Now the HP wise thing not a bad idea but full vit build isn’t effective +15 vit stones would do you a lot better than points wasted in vit

Well, I was asking for help here. Perhaps I didn't make that clear? I hadn't thought to look at the forges, which is a good idea. Thank you.

I realized pretty early on that my first assessment of their need for Dex was a bit (read: a lot) off, and that putting those points in VIT made more sense. I stand by that. Is it optimal? Probably not. Which is why I included asking for insight. There is little need to be so rude about it.

I was updating this post as I was playing the class for the first time from level 1-20, and I have been away from the game for awhile. I am bound to make mistakes.

For low-funded characters this may not be a horrible idea, to include VIT, especially early on and to find a cap for it. Perhaps 20 vit and to change the formula after awakening. Again, you are right that using gems to fill HP is far more efficient and optimal.
  • princessjulie
    princessjulie Posts: 54 Arc User
    nunuator wrote: »

The person was asking for opinions, and said he was unsure and had not played in awhile. You could have dropped the snippy tone.

Tideswell
    SereneAurora-100 1RB Sage Venomancer
    EirianHikari-102 1RB Sage Cleric
    Benjamina-101 Sage Psychic
    LadyKitsune 100 Venomancer

Kindness should be like a water balloon, go throw it at someone!!!! :)
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    The person was asking for opinions, and said he was unsure and had not played in awhile. You could have dropped the snippy tone.

You're talking to the guy that was trying to build an APS seeker and APS duskblade and when it didn't work out spammed the GMs with tickets n complained in World Chat for months straight, I don't think you want his advice anyway xd

As for the topic:
    Statting vit is pointless in PWI, scales really poorly, and is not required for any class. The reason for this is gear refines gives you so much health, so the % health increase from vit is extremely small.
    Statting dex as a str class (Edgerunner) is pointless, scales just as poorly, both accuracy and crit aren't worth the amount of points spent, so usually you wanna get the bare minimum for the class.
    Statting str as a dex class (Technician) is pointless, basically only gives you a very small amount of pdef, defo not worth it.
    Statting magic as either is completely pointless for obviously reason, tho Technician does have a skill that scales off magic attack (so I guess that's a typo)

Dex class the general rule is Level + 4 = Str, rest = dex. If you're going for rank 9, thats level 101 gear, so you'll need 105 strength.

For Edgerunner all the dex you need is 55 :smile:

• ereno93#0636
    ereno93#0636 Posts: 1 Arc User
    I am very new to the game but I believe HP would be better through refining and it would be wiser to put DEF Levels rocks correct me if I am wrong
  • hokker#1570
    hokker#1570 Posts: 396 Arc User
    Heavy G17 equipment requires 57 dex and G17weapon requires 50 dex, and with the fact that he doesn't miss when using a elemental buff, you'll not need more than this.
  • sahitan001
    sahitan001 Posts: 49 Arc User
    So I know that the new classes when creating hardly have options. creates one with the sporadic selection. goes online and back to the char selection to edit. Now you have many more options to edit. Saves the skin once to see which folder it is. since it is the same skin in female as in the Nightshade you can easily go on your female dusk or stormy and save the skin. The folder for copying is called C: \ PWI \ element \ userdata \ character \ customize \ 121
  • fanta23
    fanta23 Posts: 33 Arc User
    I got my TECHNICIAN on full dex build only 55 strength for wep and aa hat, also using rank 8 recast armor that requires no strength.
  • reaperess#1895
    dingo488 wrote: »
    tho Technician does have a skill that scales off magic attack (so I guess that's a typo)

For Edgerunner all the dex you need is 55 :smile:

I didn't realize that about the Technician.

As for Edgerunner, wouldn't getting to 60 Dex be wise? 5 points in str isn't going to make a huge difference, but the trade is SOME equips and an extra 1% crit rate. I know that in and of itself probably isn't much either. Especially late game. But it seems to me to be something to keep in mind.

I'll probably delete my Edgerunner and start fresh, or train another to it's level and see how that goes before I make a decision.