Key mapping

rudi666
rudi666 Posts: 41 Arc User
Dear pwi players.
after searching on the pwi forums, but not being able to find an answer to my question, i'm going to try and ask it here.
In game you can change the key settings. For example: if i wanted to change the friends list from F to L. Or get rid of a hotkey entirely, for example i.
Are these hotkeys saved in an ini somewhere? If they are, which one?
What I've tried: i tried to set the folder of pwi_en to be write-able. then change the settings in game and make it read only. It resulted in crashing after logging in. I have not been able to find the cause yet.
What I've also tried: booting through arc (normally I bypass), verify and start the game. change the settings. close pwi. reboot again through arc. still didn't solve the issue.
I'm using Windows 7 (if that makes a difference). Anyone has the same issue?

Comments

• shopcheese
    shopcheese Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    You change hotkeys by pressing k ingame.
    I would avoid changing the game files directly in folders if possible.

Why are you interested in the file they are saved in?

Changing it back to write-able didnt solve it?
  • rudi666
    because when I change the hotkeys in game, i have to do it every single time i start the game.
    i want the shortcut slot 1 to be q, instead of 1 for example.

thought that it would be possible to change this in an .ini somewhere and then set it to read only.

After changing the entire folder from read only to write-able the crashing stopped. but the keys kept going back even after changing in game.
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    Try verifying the game files a couple of times (one isn't usually enough, it's recommended to do it three times). The issue you describe is definitely not normal so maybe some game files are corrupted, but I don't have enough knowledge to know what might be causing this issue. Just make sure when you log off, do so by going back to the character selection screen. I know that if you force exit the entire client, the game often fails to save any changes to hotkeys.

​​
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,796 Community Moderator
    I would not Edit any of the game files or folders. This could cause issues with your client.

Again Im not the best one to comment on this as I dont really know why this would happen. May be it cant write files or edit them as you are not running as administrator? That has been known to be an issue.

Thanks.​​
  • rudi666
    think it's solved!
    verified the game three times as written above. a friend of mine also has this issue, so i'll tell her to do the same.
    verifying 3 times, then go in game through arc, change the hotkey settings, exit the game through character selection.
    only thing i was not able to do is remove the help interface (hotkey i) so i changed that to something else. and that worked.
    thanks for the input!
  • shopcheese
    Shouldnt it be the opposite? The game needs to be able to edit the files, if its read only then it cannot save your actual changes, 'cause it can only read it and not allowed to edit?
    I had issues in the past where the game wouldnt save my screenshots in the folder, I didnt really wanted to look much into it so I just changed it to full permission to edit everything, which solved it.
    You can disable the help interface completely in your menu (Function - Enclyclopia - Disable Help) I did that. My hotkey i is currently being used to open my inventory.

Anyway, glad you figured it out.
    Normally I wouldnt recommend verify. I have had it happened where my verifying would take hours and hours, at which point it would have been faster for me to reinstall the whole game instead. Kinda sad.
  • rudi666
    usually it's possible to change the game settings in an ini folder (just like customizations for example).
    that's why my first question was if there was an ini file somewhere to change it. doesn't seem to me that pwi has such a file though.
    if i have the game to read only, it crashes. so yes it definitely needs to be able to write.
    verifying took me around 4 minutes. maybe they've changed something in the mean time? xD
    and no i don't run the game on an SSD, just the OS.

also thanks a lot to disable the help interface completely! very useful \o
  • shopcheese
    Well, you already figured it out but...
    I know there is ini files that contains position of skillbars etc on the screen, each file is tied to one character.
    I just checked the ini files and it doesnt seem to contain the hotkeys, however in the same map theres also .key files. I looked at them and it really seems to be the hotkeys, however its running on some code of each key or whatever, so its not just putting an simple Q or R into the file at each hotkey slot.
    Fun fact, the "Roll/Flip" is actually called Play Trick in the file!

element > userdata > Layout
    The files are tied to each character. Your characters ID = name of the file.

Seems more simple just to change it ingame. However its fun to know anyway.
  • rudi666
    found it, thanks shopcheese!
    those indeed look like the hotkeys. it might be possible to change the hotkeys copying and pasting the code.
    but it does seem a little bit iffy xD

indeed it is fun, and maybe useful afterall