Faction, world chat bugs when typing longer messages.

csquared5
csquared5 Posts: 150 Arc User
edited November 2017 in Quality Corner
Ok, so I've uncovered a bug or series of bugs related to typing in the chat box, which I think the devs should know about.

[style color=blue]1) Faction chat: Mismatch between # of characters you can type, and max # of characters allowed in message once you press Enter key. [/style]

The faction chat text box allows you to type up to 178 characters.
The max character length for a successful faction chat message is 128 characters.
Therefore, sometimes when I am typing a message in faction chat that ends up being just over 128 characters, I press enter, and nothing happens. In world chat, at least a truncated message appears (though I think this behavior could be improved as well). But in faction chat, nothing.
Pressing the up arrow ↑ does get back your message, so you could try to delete some words/characters until your message is below 128 characters. But unless you have a really good eye for counting characters, it is a guessing game to know how much of your message to delete before it is short enough to post to faction chat.

Solution: change the number of characters faction chat box allows you to type to 128, to match up with the max # of characters allowed in a message. That way people don't accidentally go over the limit and have their message mysteriously not appear in faction chat.

2) Squad chat: no bugs!

Squad chat text box allows you to type up to 178 characters.
The squad chat max # of characters is also 178 characters.

Result: no conflict.

3) World chat: Mismatch between # of characters you can type, and max # of characters allowed in message once you press Enter key.

World chat text box allows you to type up to 178 characters.
The max character length for a successful world chat message is 120 characters.
Any world chat message sent which is over 120 characters gets truncated to 120 characters. Therefore, your world chats often end up looking odd--words cut off in the middle, thoughts unfinished, etc.

Solution: change the # of characters world chat box allows you to type to 120, to match up with max # of characters allowed in a world chat message. That way people don't accidentally go over the limit and get annoyingly-truncated messages.

»Go back to sleep...« PWI Youtube Channel