lockdown#9307
lockdown#9307 Posts: 21 Arc User
edited May 2017 in Off-Topic Discussion
Hi guys, recenty I was playing when i check the ""new map""
I notice our map its a copy from world map
The Northern Wastes -Russia
The eastern isles - Japan
The Southern Reaches - ""lil"" Aussie
The Midland and The Western Steppes Its the Chinese territory divided by Mount Everest
The Dawnglory city its Peninsula of Korea
The City of Ranging Tides its the Taiwan's Isle..

7c2b9ba78b1042f488f423139108f72c.png

Sorry, English isn't my first language, so feel free to correct me
XOXO

Comments

• chopstickstheii
    chopstickstheii Posts: 6 Arc User
    I wouldn't really say Easter Egg, but for people that don't understand Chinese mythology or history, it might as well be (But culturaly and geographically, all these lands would be China, it looking like the map of Asia is merely a coincidence). For all intents and purposes, you can think of the southern and eastern lands as being physically connected to the rest of the map.

This game's background story is heavily influenced by Chinese mythology/history (more so mythology because those people and events are too old to have written records of their existence), but these events (especially the Five Emperors and after ) are more or less accepted by Chinese people as truths as they have had profound impact of Chinese culture, and these names all appear on ancient Chinese classical works.

Now going back to the map, The Midlands - which can be roughly translated to the China in Chinese (中国 or Middle Country) - is land land ruled by the Yellow Emporer (黄帝), one of the Five Emporers, he ruled China after defeating the lords of the other four lands seen in the map.

The Southern Reaches is the birth place of the Yan Emperor (炎帝).

The Northern Wastes is Black Emperor (黑帝).

The Eastern Isles is Cang Emperor (AKA Green Emperor or 蒼帝).

The Western Steppes is White Emporer (白帝).

Although they have the titles of Emperors, they are more refered to as the Five Old Lords (五老君), but they are also called the Five Emporers in a book called "Heavenly classic of the perfect words of the red book with jade" from the Liu-Song period (420-479CE).

These people, whether they really existed or not, are all credited with having significant influence on Chinese history or culture.

The Chinese devs attributed these lands to the five lords mentioned above in the lore.

I became increasingly lazy as I was writting this, so for further clarity you may want to look at these following links:

http://www.chinaknowledge.de/Literature/Religion/personswulaojun.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mythology