Is there a story?

Options
benfuf20
benfuf20 Posts: 9 Arc User
Hey there! This game really interests me, when I'll have time I'll definitely give it a go but before diving into it, I'd like to ask some questions about the story...

First of all, is there a story at all? I read how the Perfect World was created on the wiki but then found another 'creation story' on another perfect world wiki. One says there was a great flood which Pangu had created to eradicate the wraiths, the other talks about Pangu defeating the Void and says nothing about wraiths. Why is that, which one is the 'truth'?

Second of all, during the game, can you find out more about how the world was created? Or who the bad guy is (if there is any)? If I start the game and play from beginning to the end, what's the story in a nutshell?

Do the expansions give more content story-wise?

Story is really important to me in a game so I'd really appreciate if someone gave me a brief summary about what is what. Thank you in advance

Comments

• chary
    chary Posts: 850 Arc User
    Options
    Think the only decent plotline in this is the full TT/Chrono culti plotline.​​
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    Options
    The Morai plotline wasn't too bad either. I also liked the Niang Hu plot line, but that's for Venomancers.​​
  • nbreaking
    nbreaking Posts: 607 Arc User
    Options
    There are lots of stories that are connected to a main one. You will find out more about the story if you read the quests, yes.
    To be honest, the first time I did that I had a lot of fun (was with an Earthguard on it's starting zone, but now you start in celestial vale).

The most interesting ones in my opinion were the Goshiki chainquest story, the Morai story (Morai is a different dimension) and the Primal World story.

Hope you enjoy it, they are fun to read sometimes ^^

Mr. Justice
  • tetraem007
    tetraem007 Posts: 129 Arc User
    Options
    This game is, like most MMOs, not about a "story". Or at least no one cares.
    For stories you should play offline RPGs (e.g. Witcher 3) or read a book.

This game is about leveling, stats, completing sets, pimping up your character.

It's about "working" (repetitive PvE) and humiliation (1-shooting of 10 opponents at same time which didn't pimp up their characters as much as you did; we call this also PvP).

It's about world chatting 20h per day. It's about ts, vent and skyping.

It's about gambling aka opening packs.

It's about fashion, about rare mounts and flyers, about posing 24h/d in the captital.

But it's NOT about a story. That's for sure.

You can't influence NPCs or the environment.
    NPCs have no voices (just small fonts which no ones reads), there is no situational music, NPCs have no AI.
    There are no movies.

The developers clearly never cared much about a story or a complex environment.
    There are male Barbarians and somehow the belong to the same race like the female Venomancers.
    There are Assassins which are clearly a vampire-thief class (they can force you to drop loot, suck your blood and hide in stealth). But they don't have elongated fangs and can transform to meremaids.

The classes with heavy armor are faster than the classes with light or arcane gear.
    The weather never changes. At some locations it's rainy every day, at some locations its sunny every day.

These are just a few examples which came first to my mind.

If you are looking for coherence and atmosphere this game is not for you.

Most people which (still) play this game are just addicted. Because they care about leveling, stats, completing sets, pimping up their characters.

Btw. this MMO has still best graphic of all toaster games. And the character customization is still great if you know how to edit the ini files. However.. unfortunately they did never redraw old mob models, boss models or NPCs.
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    Options
    I read up until chrono world everything stop making sense when primal arrived
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • thenamesdomino
    thenamesdomino Posts: 545 Perfect World Employee
    edited June 2016
    Options
    WALL OF TEXT

Here's very abridged versions of the story at large. Enjoy.

PWI

In the beginning of time, the first God of the universe, Pan Gu, lived an immortal life. But with no subjects to lord over, Pan Gu grew tired of his solitary existence and decided to decompose his body into five elements-fire, metal, wood, earth, and water. With his divine power, Pan Gu forged these elements into air, land, mountains, rivers, seas, and plant life and laid the foundation for a new world. It was then that Pan Gu made his first attempt to fill this new world with life. From his shadow he formed the first sentient beings. These unnamed creatures were uncivilized, and before long, they began turning on one another and corrupting the world around them. Pan Gu saw that what he had created had become an Imperfect World, and moved quickly to rectify his mistake. He built a floating city known as Heaven's Tear, and placed within the city the few creatures that had yet to be corrupted. Then, with the power of water and wind, Pan Gu created a massive flood, which swept through the land and destroyed all life in its path.

The world now cleansed, Pan Gu set about creating a new world, one filled with beings who were capable of Spiritual Cultivation. He created three races that possessed the traits he most treasured in himself. The Human race was born of Pan Gu's spirit, and demonstrated morality, honor, and an unlimited imagination. The race of the Untamed, born of Pan Gu's body, embodied freedom and peace, and possessed a unique connection with the natural order of the world. And the third race, the Winged Elves, were born of Pan Gu's own blood, and exemplified beauty, grace, and purity. Between the three races, the Perfect World was created.

The chief quality that Pan Gu gave all three races was free will. He vowed never again to eradicate an entire species, so all conflicts between the races were to be resolved amongst themselves. One such conflict arose between the Humans and Winged Elves when the two races discovered the city of Heaven's Tear. A war erupted as they fought for control of the great city, bringing out the worst in both races. The Untamed remained neutral, as they were content with living in harmony with the natural world. As the war intensified, and neither side relented, a new threat emerged.

The race that was thought to have been eradicated in the great flood returned in full force. These creatures were not quite living, but not quite dead, and thus came to be known as wraiths. The wraiths appeared to possess a singular objective: to destroy the other races and corrupt the beautiful world around them. Rumors swirled that the wraiths were capable of possessing other living things. Not much is known about the true nature of this evil, but one thing is clear. The three races Human, Untamed, and Winged Elf must set aside their differences and unite to preserve their way of life, halt the spread of corruption, and above all, protect the Perfect World.

Lost Empire

Upon uncovering a strange Wraith Plot, old memories are awakened and ancient mysteries become important. A magic relic, the Chrono Wheel, becomes necessary as it is the only way to travel back ten thousand years in the past to investigate the roots of the Wraiths and uncover the truth about the beginning of the Millennium War. The player travels through time visiting various historic events in Perfect World.

The Millennium War is one of the main historical periods of Perfect World. Called the Millennium War because it lasted for a thousand years, this conflict between the Winged Elves and Humans only ended when the pressing threat of the Wraiths forced a truce. Understandably, there is still much animosity between the Elves and Humans. The initial cause of the strife and the even that brought tempers to a head leading to all out war, is known as the Massacre of Unicorn Forest. The story goes that the Winged Elves brutally murdered a group of humans, but as it is with history, stories vary.

But only by visiting other times of peril for Perfect World can the full truth be known. Another tale tells of the northern Savagians who invaded the western Human countries. Led by the dark lord Wanyi, they advanced rapidly to the Valley of the Scarred, where the City of the Lost is now located. The whole West Land fought the Savagians at the Valley of the Scarred. In the early days of the war, the allied force was almost wiped out. The West Land was in danger, until a defender came with help from an unlikely ally and saved Perfect World. Who was this powerful friend?

Answering this question ultimately leads to even more intriguing mysteries, namely the situation surrounding the fall of the Twilight Empire. The player must research the real story behind Chungyun and the Princess of Moonlight. As the saga unfolds, the player will fight through Nimbustian Guards and have a chance to meet this couple of legend, ultimately making a choice that will change the fate of the present.
    Age of Spirits

There is a world in where the abundance of creatures we know can live, our Perfect World. However, there exists other worlds, such as the Underworld where ghosts live, where things are totally different from the Perfect World. Besides these two worlds, there is another mystical world in this universe, the Elemental World.

The five elements, metal, wood, water, fire and earth, are the basis for system of life in Perfect World. This system existed before the gods created human, and it dominates the birth, age, illness and death of all creatures. Some people, after hardworking cultivation, have been able to learn a few elemental skills. However, few know the true meaning of the five elements.

Perfect World, the Underworld and the Elemental World exist in a delicate balance together. In the Elemental World, the Five Elemental Airs, each with a distinct color, dominate everything. The Five Elemental Airs system of the Elemental World is deeply intertwined with the Five Elements system in Perfect World. Anytime a system in one world becomes unbalanced, the other world will feel the change.

Before the worlds were created, the universe was in chaos, there were no elements, no creatures, no feeling and no thought. As billions of years passed, things began to evolve. After the creation of Perfect World, creatures with intelligence appeared. They had a mighty power named belief, which helped them to be the ruler of the world. At the same time, the five elements, developed thoughts and wills of their own, and finally evolved into a mystic being.Genie.

Genies are the babies of the five elements. They know how to use elemental skills innately and have a basic instinct to keep the balance of the all worlds. Genies mainly live in Elemental World, seldom of them can be seen in Perfect World. However, things are changing..

In the endless war between the Eastern Emperor Ching and Yaksa Tribes, Ching killed a god who was worshiped by Yaksa Tribes. This incident greatly destroyed the root of water and wood, unbalancing the Five Element System. At the same time, gods have been disappearing, ghosts are peeping everywhere, the situation has become worse and worse, and it seems that Perfect World may be coming to its end... However, the Genies, with their innate instinct of maintaining the balance of the Five Elements System, have risen to save Perfect World.

Rising Tide

Beyond the Sea of Reality, an unexplored kingdom awaits. For thousands of years, the seas have been shrouded in mystery, until now. A new evil has dawned, and as a result, the secrets once concealed by the ocean are now coming to light. The ancient lord of the oceans has risen once again, and the race known as the Tideborn faces complete extinction. Journey to these aquatic lands and explore them as a foreigner, or a surviving member of the Tideborn. Will you fight to restore your ancestors. once great empire? What part will you play as the tide rises?

Genesis

An ancient prophecy of Pan Gu has foretold the destruction of Perfect World. There will be a time where the beautiful world would cease to exist as we know it today.

The land of Perfect World will suffer destruction the likes of which none of the races have ever seen. The world will be torn apart, leaving massive crevasses across the land. The oceans will rage with turmoil and the tides will swallow everything in their path. All of the races of the world are in chaos as they do not understand what is happening with their beautiful world.

The time of the prophecy, has come.

Within the depths of the underground, an ancient race of people with arcane powers and innate psychic abilities has foreseen the coming of this post-apocalyptic world. In knowing the future, they have dedicated their lives to prepare for such a day. The day has now come for them to rise up from the underground and join the other races of Perfect World, and warn them of the coming disaster.

Players will be able to participate in helping to restore the world back to its Perfect state. What changes has the destruction brought upon our Perfect World? What new challenges await you? Prepare yourself, for Genesis!

Descent

Long ago, evil specters roamed about the universe aimlessly. Perfect World's creator, Pan Gu, having mercy on them, created a world just for them - the distant realm of Morai. The sole gateway to Perfect World from Morai was placed in Elysium Village, and a protective enchantment ensured that creatures remained in their respective worlds.

Until now.

Elysium Village lies in ruins, the protective enchantment destroyed, its inhabitants' lifeless corpses scattered on its stone paths. Someone is organizing the evil specters of Morai, amassing a terrifying army in preparation for a full-scale assault on the cities of Perfect World. The leaders of the allied races have conferred, and a preliminary expedition mission into Morai has been planned. It now falls on the shoulders of Perfect World's mightiest heroes to enter the portal into hostile territory...

Sirens of War

Now that the forces of the Dark Lord, Jian'Rin, have spilled into Perfect World, the world has been set ablaze. Lines have been drawn and forces have mobilized to determine supremacy in this new age.

Amidst the chaos, four nations have emerged with the intent of wresting control for dominance. The nations of Frost, Flame, Light, and Darkness are stuck in deadlock and will require the aid of warriors such as yourself to push forward with their plans.

Do you have what it takes to survive?

New Horizons

In the beginning, there were two worlds: The Sacred World (where the gods came from) and the Primal World. At some point, the gods had a big war that destroyed most of the Primal World. Giving it up as lost, they created a new, Perfect World between the Primal World and the Sacred World and moved most of the people there, then abandoned the Primal World. However, some people were left behind, and they’ve created various empires for themselves in the gods’ absence.

Chill of Luneska

The evil Lord Tyrant has been defeated, and has fled east to the frozen land of Luneska. Now the Luneskans are making a bid for dominance of the Primal World, and only the Light Emperor Alexander stands against them. Journey into the icy realm and uncover ancient secrets to defeat this new foe!

Eclipse

The gods created Perfect World for the mortals and then retreated to the Sacred World for their divine rest. However, they didn't abandon them - they left the Divine Child, son of Pan Gu. The Divine Child watched over the world from its home in the Celestial Vale. To protect itself from potential evils, it created a race of warriors called the reapers. The reapers dwelt with the Divine Child in the Celestial Vale, protecting it and eradicating evil both there and within the Perfect World.

Long, long ago, soldiers from the Twilight Empire entered the Celestial Vale in disguise. While the reapers were distracted, they struck at the Divine Child, attempting to kill him and take his power. The Divine Child struck them down, but was mortally wounded. As the reapers were tied to the Divine Child and could not survive without him, he sacrificed himself to give the reapers a true existence without him, blessing them with the power of the moon. They renamed themselves Nightshades and traveled to Perfect World on this very ship to start their new lives.

Though they have lost most of our reaper powers over the generations, they still have a portion within them that we can call upon in times of need, and use that power to continue protecting this world from evil. Though they have lived in secret for many years, Perfect World is growing more dangerous every day. It is threatened by the Wraiths, and more. And so it is time to end their long isolation and join the world they have so long defended from the shadows.

Riptide

Though Tyrant Prince Mushi and his father are dead, a new threat has arisen from the Silent Sea. Monstrous creatures swarm from beneath the waves, and a churning whirlpool radiates dark energies. The Light Emperor Alexander has sent the Allied Fleet to investigate. Follow them as they brave the strange new world that lies in the ocean depths, seeking out new friends and foes alike.
  • capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    Options
    The story in this game is kind of like Dark Souls. You can ignore everything the NPCs say and play the game just fine. But if you actually pay attention to quests and such there's a pretty interesting story behind it. My favorite part is that the Sages are the bad guys instead of the Demons.
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    Options
    I find it funny domino gave that wall of text which is pretty informative and yet I can send a ticket and had to argue with a gm you cant destroy a item unless its bound for days until he actually looked into it and found I was right or I had an issue in the Morai map and a gm said in the ticket "Morai? Is that a location?" ... What lmfao... Get rekt xD am I the only one laughing?
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • jadasia
    jadasia Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Options
    lets not forget about goshiki guest chain. it has a happy ending....sort of
    Post edited by jadasia on
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Options
    blazerboy wrote: »
    I find it funny domino gave that wall of text which is pretty informative and yet I can send a ticket and had to argue with a gm you cant destroy a item unless its bound for days until he actually looked into it and found I was right or I had an issue in the Morai map and a gm said in the ticket "Morai? Is that a location?" ... What lmfao... Get rekt xD am I the only one laughing?
    1. Support is a completely different department.
    2. It's just a copy-paste from stuff that was on the previous website or Wiki before Arc ruined all the starter guides from the old site.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,806 Community Moderator
    Options
    Nice...

Yer I like The Elysium Village part. Cant say why tho.​​
  • konataizumichan
    konataizumichan Posts: 94 Arc User
    Options
    @thenamesdomino Right in the feels with that wall o text, I started playing during Lost Empire expansion, before genies.

Back then it was important to read what npc's said sometimes, as there was no autopath

On topic I enjoy the Goshiki quests every time, and the New Form / Niang Hu story was bretty gud too
  • zentfamily
    zentfamily Posts: 234 Arc User
    Options
    Still waiting to learn where Belle Leun fits in all this. Possibly some tragic love story with Mushi, but he's dead now. :neutral:
    ZentVedr - Retired at last. Or am I?