Could someone explain the different chat channels?

pyrosandstorm#1009
pyrosandstorm#1009 Posts: 18 Arc User
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
So, I just started playing PWI a few days ago, and I'm a bit confused about "Normal chat", and who can see it. All I ever see is people chatting in World chat, which as I'm not buying the item to chat in it, I can't use. However, whenever I've said anything in Normal chat, no one ever seems to see it... or at least never responds.

An explanation of all the chat channels would be great, since I can't seem to find anything that really explains who each can be seen by, but I at least would like to know if Normal chat can actually reach anyone at all :/ .
★ ┌ Syveal { Duskblade → Tideswell } ┘
Starlight { http://starlight-tideswell.shivtr.com }
Tagged:

Comments

• chary
    chary Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Normal chat is seen by anyone in range of you on the map.
    Squad chat is seen by only people in your squad.
    Guild chat is seen by only people in your guild.
    Whisper chat is one-on-one chat. People show up pink if in your friend list or dark blue if not.
    World chat needs telecoustics to talk in and can be seen by everyone. Teles should be around like 10k ea at west arch or you can just buy 9 Perfect Tokens of Luck to make 10 teles for cheaper.
    Horn chat needs horns to talk in and can be seen by everyone in addition to popping up a window. Horns are special rewards that you won't get often.
  • cynderangel
    cynderangel Posts: 193 Arc User
    ^ Good explanation.

I'd just like to add that you probably don't get a lot of responses in normal chat because many people in your area may be afk or have normal chat turned off. A lot of people also won't respond to people they don't know, but it depends on what you're saying and how you say it. I've built squads in Archo center platform in normal chat (long time ago lol) but it takes patience.
    102/101/102 cleric
  • pyrosandstorm#1009
    pyrosandstorm#1009 Posts: 18 Arc User
    Thanks, this definitely helps.
    ★ ┌ Syveal { Duskblade → Tideswell } ┘
    Starlight { http://starlight-tideswell.shivtr.com }
  • capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    There's also the Trade tab, which is similar to normal chat in that it's only seen by people in your immediate area. I don't think it's used much, if at all, by anyone.

In Nation Wars two of the channels have changed functions. Normal chat lets you talk to all of your allies in the same battle. Your enemy cannot see it. Trade chat lets you talk to everyone in the same Nation as you, at the cost of 10000 coins. It's similar to World Chat but for your Nation only.
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    chary wrote: »
    Normal chat is seen by anyone in range of you on the map.
    Squad chat is seen by only people in your squad.
    Guild chat is seen by only people in your guild.
    Whisper chat is one-on-one chat. People show up pink if in your friend list or dark blue if not.
    World chat needs telecoustics to talk in and can be seen by everyone. Teles should be around like 10k ea at west arch or you can just buy 9 Perfect Tokens of Luck to make 10 teles for cheaper.
    Horn chat needs horns to talk in and can be seen by everyone in addition to popping up a window. Horns are special rewards that you won't get often.

Symbol time

Normal chat - press delete, in the typing bar, extreme left you will see a few icons, followed by N followed by A, the N denotes normal chat

Squad chat - type !!, the N will change to S, what ever you type now will appear in the squad chat

Guild chat - type !~, the N will become F, what ever you type will go in to faction chat

Private chat - /[character name] what ever you say will be whispered softly in the person's ear, be careful what you say

Wolrd chat - type !@, the N will become W, you will have to be above level 10 and need a teleacoustic in inventory to speak in this channel. Only those who enabled world chat can see this message.

Market chat - type $, no one uses that though

Horn - !#, the N becomes H, everyone on the server will see your message whether they want to or not

Press U, click on game, the list on the left shows in that specific window what other chats you can see.

If you click on faction, i have squad, faction, system [white and red] enabled. If someone in my squad speaks, i will see it in my faction chat. I just change the symbols to talk back, hope that helps.​​