How to ask people to "learn the basics" as politely as possible?

Once again Kitty faced another player who clearly didn't know her class at all in BH. During the run Kitty asked her to use her strong debuffs to make stuff go down a lot faster, but she didn't seem to know how to even use those debuffs at all. At the end Kitty asked her to check skill descriptions for next time to make squads like that player more. tiger-9.gif

Kitty tried to phrase it as politely as she ever knew how to be polite and yet she got bitched at by another player in the squad (with that casual "Let people play how they play", "You fail at your class" and blahblahblah...) tiger-12.gif.

So, how Kitty should phrase her words if she wants to teach basics without getting bitching at return? She just can't bear watching good classes abused so badly and thus she'd like to teach the nabs into better squadmates. Impossible task?tiger-12.gif
​​
4ovsoib.jpg

Kitty's gone. She gave up on PWI. And she's a black metal Kitty naow.

Kitty's Youtube-channel("Kitty does eet"-series and much moar): KittysamaRT
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Kitty, just know.. I am sorely tempted to edit every single one of your posts to change the font color. Even just changing it to a red that isn't as dark would be an improvement.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
  • sindarella
    sindarella Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    could be much worsefox-2.gif (especially with the pro grayscale theme of the PWE Forums Enhancement Extension)​​
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    sindarella wrote: »
    could be much worsefox-2.gif (especially with the pro grayscale theme of the PWE Forums Enhancement Extension)
    I use Pro Red, but even on the default forum, the font plus the color strains the eyes.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
  • bankersbucks
    bankersbucks Posts: 6 Arc User
    I can read the text ok, but converting the "baby Kitty speak" into standard English is giving me a headache.

Kitty should phrase her words in simple English to avoid having people give Kitty a beat down. :*
  • mosz
    mosz Posts: 247 Arc User
    Same way to politely teach a furry to use a normal text color
  • capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    Not talking in the third person would be a great start to communicating with your squad. Or anyone.
  • kittyempressa
    kittyempressa Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Oh, true. Kitty already forgot: you can't get any real answers here in the forums. Kitty seriously wanted to discuss this topic to possibly find a way to help people become better at this game without making them feel hurt/insulted. But guess Kitty should act like everyone in this thread this far while trying to teach the newbies?tiger-10.gif

If you guys can't stay on the topic instead of ganging and picking on a girl just because she's a bit weirdo (and can't help it), mods better close this thread.tiger-9.gif
    ​​
    4ovsoib.jpg

Kitty's gone. She gave up on PWI. And she's a black metal Kitty naow.

Kitty's Youtube-channel("Kitty does eet"-series and much moar): KittysamaRT
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    Maybe Kitty should stop teaching others if they dont want to be teached. Let them be failure if its that what they want.
    giphy.gif

• oreowarrior
    oreowarrior Posts: 71 Arc User
    imma start with this:
    i dont know how to avoid getting bitched at when telling someone they suck and need to get better.
    im a ****. can ask pretty much anyone on arch.
    i tell them that they need to use certain skills. if they respond with "what?" i say the skill name(or description if i dont know the name). 99% of the time they say "oh" or something similar and use it. for that 1% that dont have it or still dont know, may god have mercy on their souls
  • mosz
    mosz Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Maybe Kitty should stop teaching others if they dont want to be teached. Let them be failure if its that what they want.

i think thats halfway the lesson here, you ask how to teach....from people that have tried to convince you/teach you about something for ...ages, i dont see a week go by where someone doesnt mention your fond color choice that is unreabable in many light conditions (especially on mobile)

if the large majority of the forum is unable to convince you of something that is near effortless and requires no paying attention, focus, language barrier breaking, or really anything else, then how do you expect advice from the same people on teaching people things in game?

evidentally asking nicely, sarcasm, light jokes,and analogies don't work, so whats left? kitty has to turn into a tiger and rip apart noobs, be mean as hell to them, berate, punish, and demoralize them for the failures they are, virtually smack them upside the head as hard as you can since they must be thickheaded, since thats the only set of tactics that hasnt been tried on you....so that must be the answer to your question

and jsut to add: the moment you got any criticism, WAAH FINGERS INTO EARS ASK A MOD TO CLOSE THE THREAD... oh the bitter irony, the exact same thing people do when you try to tell them how to do something that they are failing at...youre doing it now; thank you for showing us a. the playerbase is mostly hopeless, and b. being nice doesnt work: just skip to assholeism
  • jadasia
    jadasia Posts: 520 Arc User
    Jadasia doesn't read red text on dark backgrounds so Jadasia isn't going to be able to answer honestly
  • razzzza
    razzzza Posts: 456 Arc User
    The thing is, kitty, as everyone mentioned: you ask how to teach people basic stuff and you are a prime example of how poletely doesnt work at all.
    I mean dont get me wrong there are people out there who response well at basic teaching in a normal and polite way and some dont.

I assume you are not the one who gets a polite way so let someone teach you the a$$hole way of how to basic on forums.
    I dont do that because i have other threads to flame in and i know you are a very old member of this forum so you changing something isnt going to happen.

Cheers mouse-2.gif​​
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    Step one: Ask them to politely post in a font that's readable.

Okay, I'll stop piling on. I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell most people. Use polite language. Don't be too confrontational about it (e.g. pm them instead of saying it in squad.) If they start to complain, tell them that you didn't mean to insult them/criticize them you are only offering friendly advice to make things go faster. I mean you clearly don't like it when people are posting a lot of criticism towards you and piling on. Keep that in mind and then go from there.

I'm going to close this now.
    ​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
This discussion has been closed.