Windows 10 and PWI Screenshots

Options
abunnywarrior
abunnywarrior Posts: 24 Arc User
I don't know if it's happening to anyone else, but since before the server merge, right after I upgraded to Windows 10, my screenshots have been disappearing.

I was taking screenshots of my gear and equipment just in case the server merge failed miserably and went to look in the normal place, in this case C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\PWI_en\element\screenshots but the newest screenshot it has in there is from July 11, 2015.

However, the screenshots from that day later appeared in 'C:\Users\Vince\AppData\Roaming' and I think there was either a PWI folder or a Screenshot folder in there. I just took a screenshot after TW for my squads, and the screenshot appeared in neither folder. I happened to salvage the screenshot because windows saved it to the clipboard and I pasted it into MSPaint. However, it'll be incredibly annoying if I have to copy+pasta every screenshot I get into MSPaint to save it.

Is there a way to change where PWI saves the screenshots? or a way to fix my specific problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just go go C:\Program Files\PWI_en\element\ and right-click elementclient.exe. Then select "Properties from the drop down. Click the "Compatibility" tab, then select the check box for "Run as administrator". Hit OK to save, and you're good there.

Running the client in Windows 10 without that ticked, is asking for trouble. In Win7/8 it just had a possibility of having issues without it checked, but in 10 you're guaranteed to have issues. You should do the same for the Arc .exe files.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Answers

• sylenthunder
    Options
    What you're describing is pretty odd. At the same time though, PWI hasn't installed to Programs Files (x86) in a few years. Running it from there is going to create some issues on a 64-bit system.

No there isn't a way to change where the client saves it. Where you found them in Roaming sounds like something Windows may have done.

I would strongly recommend moving or re-installing the client in C:\Games\​​

​​
  • abunnywarrior
    Options
    Alright, I'm not doing too much tomorrow, I'll reinstall the game and report back.
  • abunnywarrior
    Options
    Sorry bout the double post, but I uninstalled the game this morning and reinstalled it to: C:\Program Files\PWI_en

Tried to pop a few screenshots off, and they're still not saving into the screenshot folder. Nothing in the appdata/roaming folder either. Seems they're still being saved to the clipboard though.

Thoughts or ideas?

Note, I didn't install it to C:\Games\ just because, I don't have a C:\Games\ directory. I could've created one, but I don't think it would've been any different than Program Files.
  • sylenthunder
    Options
    No, it shouldn't be any different than "Program files". I personally use C:\games because I can exclude just that one folder from my AV scans and don't have to worry about picking specific game folders. (At one point, that was also the default path for the installer as well.)

I cannot think of anything offhand that would cause that outside of permissions. Make sure that you take ownership of the PWI client folder, and also be absolutely certain that you are running it with admin creds on Win10.​​

​​
  • abunnywarrior
    Options
    I just got to looking for this again this morning. When I come home from work today, I'll try again, forcing Administer rights in any way I can. And if for some reason my computer isn't running with them by default, I'll have to fix that. But once again, I'll get back to you.
  • abunnywarrior
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yep, that was it. Even though my account is an administrator account (the only one on this PC) it still wanted me to run it as an administrator. The box is now checked and will check it soon on my arc.exe.

Thanks a lot for the help!

(P.S. I assume you can close this as answered now?)