mailcious name vandalism

Options
sindarella
sindarella Posts: 66 Arc User
with no doubt there are some legitimate inter-server conflicts of names, especially with some rather common names like "WhateverArrow".
but it is very obvious that some vandals used the timeframe between announcement and servermerge to maliciously create toons on the other servers.

why do i call them vandals and not just plain trolls?
most leaders and officers on the merged servers are affected by this malicous name vandalism.
not only do they have to pay to ransom to rename themselves by being forced to buy an identiy stone,
but they will remain victims of the vandal for ever: every action done by the vandal will reflect negatively on the victim!
every troll on wc, every scam, every wrongfully received or sent ingame-mail or private message, every mistaken confidential conversation, every other malicious action will be blamed on the victim of the vandalism!

this has to be fixed!

there were many easy actions that would have prevented this, but the mistake has been made already.

so this is what needs to happen:
-duplicate names that have been created in the timeframe between merge-annoucement and merge should be renamed to "nameVANDAL" or something like that.
-those vandals should be either temporarly banned for a week or so and renamed (on their main ofc) to nameTROLL or something like that.
-victims of the vandalism should be given an Identity Stone (id 37302) to get back their name or choose a different one alltogether.

otherwise there will be a flood of tickets from people complaining about being scammed by person that commited identity theft, damage the reputation of victims of identity theft, wrongful bans, tickets complaining about wrongful bans.

and in general is is shoddy of PWI to not think about those issues in the first place but especially holding victims names hostage until they PAY pwi...

Comments

• sindarella
    sindarella Posts: 66 Arc User
    Options
    btw. i was lucky and have been not affected by this.
  • Deceptistar
    Deceptistar Posts: 62 Arc User
    Options
    o,o your avatar is vandalism tiger-18.gif​​
    lagunal8.deviantart.com I'M HERE SINCE 2008 BISHES! wahaha... D:
    ★New weekly quests! Discover the bug in the patch-Nihillae★My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony.-Neurosis★You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life.-Ninnuam★A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them-ilystah★[How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours.-ColdSteele★If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★This thread is a joke right? Please say yes.-eatwithspoons★This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth.-Alacol★Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution.-Asterelle★Shoo troll >:O-TheDan★People who chose to be a PvE server is a dirt poor choice of life. They want a state of mind where everything is free and safe. All losers.-voluminous
  • nemirelle
    nemirelle Posts: 2 Arc User
    Options
    Sindarella makes a really good point though. Sadly, it can be hard to know (as a victim) who actually purposefully used your name. However, it is very unfair that these users who have been harassed, trolled, whatever we want to call it, are forced to buy a name change stone because someone else was being immature and petty. I think PWI should give serious thought to giving victims free name change stones. Reducing the price of an identity stone to 15 gold really is not enough. That is still 15USD, and in game 55m or more. Why should players have to spend their hard earned money (whether that be real cash or game cash) because someone else was being a jerk? It IS a malicious action and PWI needs to do something about it.
  • nemirelle
    nemirelle Posts: 2 Arc User
    Options
    Yeah I realized that too. They started selling faction rename stones too -_- They obviously knew a lot of people would be unhappy with their names and spend money on the identity stones. Either way, I refuse to spend irl cash on it, so they won't be getting a dime from me.
  • krian090590
    krian090590 Posts: 235 Arc User
    Options
    It's been announced that any player who's name was changed because of merge will get a free identity stone. it says that you need to log on your toons with the name change by August 20. keep a clear mailbox as the item will be sent there.
    Etherblade Server
    due to mishaps in my past few years in game, I do NOT accept random invites (faction/squad/friend no randoms period) NOR will I give buffs (cleric/barb/sin/exp if i have it) to random people because they ask. If I DO give buffs to a random person, it's because of a random whim (much like the red detonator button sitting at my desk that i will one day push at a random whim)
    Also do NOT look at my gear and then proceed to pm me asking to buy my gear or for a loan of coin. It's just plain rude.
    I have too many toons to name, but if you play on Etherblade server and you come across a toon that acts this way, or if the world is suddenly destroyed, it was probably me.