Advantages vs a Psy?

mrcharlytoo
mrcharlytoo Posts: 274 Arc User
I played a psy to lvl90-something a few years back.

Might return to the game and fancy a new class.

What advantages does a Stormbringer have over a psy?

Comments

• escapistartist
    escapistartist Posts: 32 Arc User
    Aside from the whole casting skills while moving? Pretty much also their survivability, I find that Storms rarely die unless they either get all smug and take on more than they can handle or something is truly way above their level, dungeon wise. Because as soon as you outlevel most things, it's all a breeze to solo most of your stuff.

You have Reaper form which makes you fairly tanky (for a limited time) as able to take Phys damage some other Arcanes would not survive and so on. Paired with very good damage and some interesting skills, it makes for a ridiculously strong new class.

That's not to say Psys are weaker or anything, far from it. You've gotten one to 90-something as you said so, that means you are quite strong in that stage as well. I still think Psys are among the most 'deadly' and powerful too.

By all means, take your time to try a Storm out and assess their potential for yourself. :)
    You might still find yourself yearning for your original class or, become completely smitten with the new one. I know I did, and not regretting it, for all it is worth. Only you will know if it will also make you want to play more again.
    Sheepy_Siggy.png
    (´ω`) ( °ω° )
    Woollen Fox • Ylvanie • Twilight Temple
  • mrcharlytera
    mrcharlytera Posts: 21 Arc User
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I've made a new account so I'm honestly starting from scratch (and not tempted to start playing my mystic or seeker again).

I like the idea of being able to properly kite. Anyone tried it in Frost yet?
  • escapistartist
    escapistartist Posts: 32 Arc User
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I've made a new account so I'm honestly starting from scratch (and not tempted to start playing my mystic or seeker again).

I like the idea of being able to properly kite. Anyone tried it in Frost yet?
    You're welcome! Here's hoping you'll have fun and build new memories with a fresh start.

From what I know, no one really runs Frost anymore since the removal of being able to use Hypers inside. (Though Esotericas/Golden Silkworms still work) If they do, they're probably alt runs or Faction runs. Once in a blue moon a WC is made for a nostalgia run. Pretty silly, but I do think some of the Storms' abilities would truly shine there. At high levels, to some degree, they could probably even be capable of pulling groups.

Hopefully someone else will see this and detail their experience, I did not get to try combinations yet to shed more light on how Frost would be like.
    Sheepy_Siggy.png
    (´ω`) ( °ω° )
    Woollen Fox • Ylvanie • Twilight Temple
  • mrcharlytera
    mrcharlytera Posts: 21 Arc User
    I'm sticking to strictly casual play, starting from scratch again.
    Only got my storm to 27, but it is a juggernaut! Soloed lvl19 dungeon easily, never managed that with any other class before. amazing
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    teabagg wrote: »
    PSY and SB are very great to play due to the fact that they have a lot of AOE's and fun stuff to do on people/monsters.But PSY throwing nasty diminished vigor on you can usually be deadly..and a few other tricks up their sleeves can have you pushing up daisies fast.

And SB trowing Perigian Tide at you can be very deadly since it reduced your water and metal resistance by 100% and it cannot be purified.
    Also Eloctrostatic Discharge and Primal Thunderstorm can be very deadly.
    giphy.gif

• advoc
    advoc Posts: 84 Arc User
    Perigean Tide is making me want to focus on dual mag penetration adds on my astrolabe over spirit at the moment. Preigean can do a lot, but with 40% reduced mag def the combination should be rather devastating. That should help against most things, including against psys.
  • grace83shin
    grace83shin Posts: 55 Arc User
    I find that waiting out soul of retalialtion and then using devouring darkness makes the psychic easier to manipulate.

In NW I usually do this against a Psy thats not a one shot: Devouring Darkness> perigean tide> cloudburst>thundersnow>ice bullet>thundersnow>lunar shadow stun>thundersnow>cloudburst>dead
    Stormbringer Thaumaturg of Tideswell
    102/101/101 Chaotic Soul
    One lightning bolt at a time baby!
  • demansfairy
    demansfairy Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I find that waiting out soul of retalialtion and then using devouring darkness makes the psychic easier to manipulate.

In NW I usually do this against a Psy thats not a one shot: Devouring Darkness> perigean tide> cloudburst>thundersnow>ice bullet>thundersnow>lunar shadow stun>thundersnow>cloudburst>dead
    Er what? How do you wait out a skill whose duration is equal to its cooldown? Wouldn't it make more sense to just pop it w/ downburst? Not like magic damage is going to hurt you much if at all ( retaliation deals damage to you equal to 50% of the psy's soul force with the type equal to the type of the original skill)

Now if you mean soul of STUNNING instead, agian, better to pop it while using Fortify or lunar swiftness, you can't w8 out a skill that lasts as long as the cooldown, 30 seconds btw.

One more question, why wait to cast devouring darkness? It won't trigger soul of retaltion, soul of stunning, soul of silence nor soul of vengeance since it's not an attack skill.

full +12 SB, currently lv 105 105 105
  • grace83shin
    grace83shin Posts: 55 Arc User

Er what? How do you wait out a skill whose duration is equal to its cooldown? Wouldn't it make more sense to just pop it w/ downburst? Not like magic damage is going to hurt you much if at all ( retaliation deals damage to you equal to 50% of the psy's soul force with the type equal to the type of the original skill)

Now if you mean soul of STUNNING instead, agian, better to pop it while using Fortify or lunar swiftness, you can't w8 out a skill that lasts as long as the cooldown, 30 seconds btw.

One more question, why wait to cast devouring darkness? It won't trigger soul of retaltion, soul of stunning, soul of silence nor soul of vengeance since it's not an attack skill.

Idk WHY but Psy's who I fight cast soul of retaliation NEVER recast it, so it makes it easy for me to do what I said. Perigean is my favorite thing to start out on on a Psychic, so I just wait.

I wait because people are starting to get hip to me casting Devouring first, so they CC my **** and it screws me up.
    Stormbringer Thaumaturg of Tideswell
    102/101/101 Chaotic Soul
    One lightning bolt at a time baby!