test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game client Direct3D crash detecting Direct3D 11 feature level - crash ID 20085663

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
Hey everybody!

We've received reports that users with various Intel Integrated Graphics devices are experiencing crashes during the startup Direct3D 11 feature level check. The Cryptic Error ID will appear as 20085663.

We have a workaround that requires disabling the Direct3D 11 support in the client, so affected users running the workaround will be restricted to using the Direct3D 9 graphics support. To enable the workaround, follow these steps:

1. Run the Neverwinter launcher.
2. Open the Options dialog.
3. Add the following to the Advanced command line field: -d3d11Enable 0

That should do the trick! :)
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• hithereyouhithereyou Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi All,

I just want you to know that we are actively working on various graphics stability issues including this one.

Dave
  • hithereyouhithereyou Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi again everyone,

If you are experiencing this problem, we need full crash dumps. I've looked that the minidumps, but they are missing data that will help us diagnose and fix the problem. I hope that the workaround helps, but I'd like to make proper fix for the D3D11 feature detection (which is what is crashing, inside driver code). We can also give the full dumps to our Intel developer relations team to let them fix it, if we can't make an fix on our end.

It would also help if anyone can tell us if the crash only started happening on after a driver update, so we can check if it's a specific driver problem, let Intel know about it, and possibly issue a driver version warning at startup.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hithereyou wrote: »
    Hi again everyone,

If you are experiencing this problem, we need full crash dumps. I've looked that the minidumps, but they are missing data that will help us diagnose and fix the problem. I hope that the workaround helps, but I'd like to make proper fix for the D3D11 feature detection (which is what is crashing, inside driver code). We can also give the full dumps to our Intel developer relations team to let them fix it, if we can't make an fix on our end.

It would also help if anyone can tell us if the crash only started happening on after a driver update, so we can check if it's a specific driver problem, let Intel know about it, and possibly issue a driver version warning at startup.

Dave

How do we obtain "Full Crash Dumps"? I'm running Windows 7 fully up to date. Also, how do we copy/paste the info & where do we send it?
    edited April 2013
    Hi uglyduck1,

You don't need to do anything directly to send us a full dump, you just have to reproduce the crash, and let CrypticError send the crash dump. Don't cancel it or close it if looks like it's sending us data. I think, however, that you can start the client again even if it's still sending a crash dump, but it will consume a good amount of your bandwidth. For this particular issue, where the game crashes during startup, I don't believe there is much point in immediately launching the client again. However, I would be very interested to know whether or not the crash reproduces 100% of the time for you.

Can you tell me, are you actually experiencing this crash (Cryptic Error ID 20085663)? Do you have an Intel Integrated Graphics, or a discrete video card? I'm trying to figure out if it's just an Intel problem, or if we've messed something up more generally, if we can figure out repro steps so I can look at it here and fix it, and so on.

Our crash tracking system has been having problems with this crash in particular. I'd like with any customer experiencing it to see if we can work around the problems with the crash reporting system. It might just be making it hard for me to find full crash dumps that you guys and gals are already sending.

Finally, please report back here if the workaround works for you, and open up other threads (and always post the Cryptic Error IDs) if you are having other problems. I work on graphics stuff, but I can forward threads to the other teams if I see stuff. I do appreciate if people keep things on-topic in these threads, because it makes it easier for me to manage my work, and easier for other customers to see what's going on with the state of graphics issues.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for taking the time to respond to my request for information!

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi uglyduck1,

You don't need to do anything directly to send us a full dump, you just have to reproduce the crash, and let CrypticError send the crash dump. Don't cancel it or close it if looks like it's sending us data. I think, however, that you can start the client again even if it's still sending a crash dump, but it will consume a good amount of your bandwidth. For this particular issue, where the game crashes during startup, I don't believe there is much point in immediately launching the client again. However, I would be very interested to know whether or not the crash reproduces 100% of the time for you.

Can you tell me, are you actually experiencing this crash (Cryptic Error ID 20085663)? Do you have an Intel Integrated Graphics, or a discrete video card? I'm trying to figure out if it's just an Intel problem, or if we've messed something up more generally, if we can figure out repro steps so I can look at it here and fix it, and so on.

Our crash tracking system has been having problems with this crash in particular. I'd like with any customer experiencing it to see if we can work around the problems with the crash reporting system. It might just be making it hard for me to find full crash dumps that you guys and gals are already sending.

Finally, please report back here if the workaround works for you, and open up other threads (and always post the Cryptic Error IDs) if you are having other problems. I work on graphics stuff, but I can forward threads to the other teams if I see stuff. I do appreciate if people keep things on-topic in these threads, because it makes it easier for me to manage my work, and easier for other customers to see what's going on with the state of graphics issues.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for taking the time to respond to my request for information!

Dave

Can't play until tomorrow. I was just getting prepared for when I can play.

So, maybe I read this wrong; are you saying the game will automatically send the crash dump without me doing anything?

Sorry for any confusion
    edited April 2013
    When the game crashes, another program we install with the game, CrypticError, will automatically help send us a full crash dump. Users can cancel the dump sending, though. Also, there are some conditions in which CrypticError cannot help send us a crash dump.

In the case that we're discussing here, dump reporting should work. Having the full crash dump usually, but not always, helps us figure out what's going wrong. If the full dumps won't help, we'll usually tell the crash tracking software to tell CrypticError not to send them, so we don't waste customer bandwidth on crashes where it won't help.

Dave
    edited April 2013
    Hi again everyone,

I have a bit of an update on this problem.

Apparently, this issue is not restricted to Intel GPUs. I have found some information in the crash reports that indicates it may be happening on computers that have both an Intel Integrated graphics chip and a discrete GPU like a Nvidia 630M (like the gaming laptop I have myself). The above workaround for the crash should still work.

I also noticed that one customer having this crash quite frequently also had Mumble installed, but I don't know if that's related to this problem. Anyone experiencing 20085663 who has Mumble installed should try turning off the Mumble overlay as well.

Anyway, I would appreciate anyone who is experiencing the crash I listed posting here or sending me a PM. The graphics team is already working on some of the other crashes customers have reported here and in other threads, such as the E_OUTOFMEMORY fatal errors. We may contact you here through the forums or with PMs if we need more information. We do plan to keep adding diagnostic information to the game, so that future crash dumps will help us resolve these crashes.

Dave
  • mithrillowymithrillowy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi,
    Can anyone help me with something like this?
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/fatalerrorh.jpg/
    edited May 2013
    Hi mithrillowy,

We're working on this problem.

Dave
  • ambersaurambersaur Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My boyfriend is experiencing an error saying:

d3derr_INVALIDCALL
    while creating texture size

Whenever he tries to launch. Is this a related error?
  • khornographykhornography Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi mithrillowy,

We're working on this problem.

Dave

I'm having a problem that may be related. Whenever I am within say, 200 'feet' of another player, if that player is using abilities my frame rate collapses to an abysmal .1 to .05 fps. I have an ati radeon HD 7970, and i've tried turning all the graphical settings down, up, sideways, you name it. Still dungeons, pvp and skirmishes are unplayable for me. Any idea if this can be fixed?
    As an addition, I have no frame rate issues whatsoever when I'm solo, or when I'm in protectors enclave. It seems as though, even if I'm not looking at the player, any players abilities drop my frame rate to nothing. I can be behind several in game walls and I'll still have horrid fps as soon as players start using their abilities.
  • sauceonsidesauceonside Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I played yesterday on launch day no problem. to day there was a small patch and now my game client isn't responding. it gets through the launcher ok. it gets to the cryptic loading screen and then after that it crashes to the desktop and I have to ctrl alt delete and close it from there cuz it locks up the desktop. I did the fix posted in the OP and now Im getting this:

fatal error direct3d driver retruned error code (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE REMOVED) while creating a texture.
    technical details: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE REMOVED while creating 2d texture size 4096 x 1 (1mips, RTEZ_R_F32)

I have an integrated amd graphics chip if that means anything

edit: I tried running the game in safe from the launcher's options and it runs fine and I am able to log onto my character. there is however, no sound. not sure if that is typical or not in safe mode. went on and reset all the settings to default. logged out and tried to launch it normally but still nothing. same as before crashed to desktop and freezes.

edit: safe mode will only run with the command prompt from the OP added to the command field. without it, it crashes to desktop and freezes. normal mode still wont launch even with command prompt added.
  • mugaalimugaali Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im having this CrypticError: Oops! message everytime... Havent gotten in to game once... I tried to add that "-d3d11Enable 0" but doesnt work. I try to force safe mode and doesnt work... After the error comes, in like 7-8seconds the report "crashes" and disappears.

ANy ideas?
  • fronteckfronteck Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My puter keeps crashing when i am down loading the game. Any else getting this?
    edited May 2013
    Hi everyone,

Please post the CrypticError ID, or I can't tell you anything about the disposition of your crashes, nor can I tell if any of you can help me track down the particular crash of interest.

Thanks!

Dave
  • hamoct72hamoct72 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    crashing when I zone... game breaking issue for me
  • unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey,

I'm also having issues with my client crashing and giving me this Error message;

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3641/nwfatalerror.jpg

I've tried doing changing resolution size, running the game in full screen/Windowed/Windowed maximized, tweaked my memory but to no avail... still comes up. Sometimes 'Vertex' is replaced with 'Index' too.

Edit: If it happens again I'll get the Error ID and Post it here

Edit: Happened again, this time while I was trying to drag my Rogues Dagger to an equipment slot, the Error Ticket ID is: 14178393
    edited May 2013
    14457539 Cryptic ID
    edited May 2013
    Mugaali,

Your error ID seems to indicate you are running TeamViewer? Try disabling it before running the launcher, and reenabling after the launcher has started the game client.

We have some known game add-on compatibility problems, see here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?164181-Known-software-conflicts.

Dave
    edited May 2013
    Mugaali,

Your error ID seems to indicate you are running TeamViewer? Try disabling it before running the launcher, and reenabling after the launcher has started the game client.

We have some known game add-on compatibility problems, see here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?164181-Known-software-conflicts.

Dave

Thank you, seems to work, tho patching now, but I think it works now. Thank you! :)
  • necron182necron182 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey everybody!

We've received reports that users with various Intel Integrated Graphics devices are experiencing crashes during the startup Direct3D 11 feature level check. The Cryptic Error ID will appear as 20085663.

We have a workaround that requires disabling the Direct3D 11 support in the client, so affected users running the workaround will be restricted to using the Direct3D 9 graphics support. To enable the workaround, follow these steps:

1. Run the Neverwinter launcher.
    2. Open the Options dialog.
    3. Add the following to the Advanced command line field: -d3d11Enable 0

That should do the trick! :)

Confirmed!! I have Intel Integrated Graphics and it is now loading the game fine in both safe and normal mode after putting the command into the command line field.

Windows 7 dump report for the crashes if it will help you guys and gals:

Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\GameClient.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: GameClient.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 51832dab
    Hang Signature: 1a0c
    Hang Type: 0
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 1a0c6873808a6b4adb69a1592f643220
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 4c10
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 4c101e487fe7083037e0c90b11aaac63
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 1a0c
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 1a0c6873808a6b4adb69a1592f643220
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 4c10
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 4c101e487fe7083037e0c90b11aaac63

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 3609375482
  • k3m3d0k3m3d0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having crashing issue a lot while running Nevrwinter Online. :shocked:

I'm running with Windows 7 and Radeon HD 4850 (as dxdiag above)...

Crashs:
    http://i.imm.io/14YcQ.png
    http://i.imm.io/14YcO.png

(they are differents links O != Q :sins: )

Dxdiag:

http://sharetext.org/9Eu6

Edit: Heappened too much today (10 times)... I quit for today...
    [SIGPIC]Oromeh@k3m3d0[/SIGPIC]
  • elixa66elixa66 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    19108765 this is the error i keep getting ...
  • basch00basch00 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fatal Error: Error decompressing data. Verifying files in the launcher may fix this issue.:

Technical details: Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: Bin/Damagenames.bin:"

Any ideas?
  • k4d4j2k4d4j2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and only enters the city of bugs upon bugs, until I'm afraid to go there
  • pauliecoonpauliecoon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm getting this fatal error when trying to launch the game. My ErrorID is on the picture. Any help would be great as I would love to actually play!

nwgfxerror.png
  • pauliecoonpauliecoon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pauliecoon wrote: »
    I'm getting this fatal error when trying to launch the game. My ErrorID is on the picture. Any help would be great as I would love to actually play!

nwgfxerror.png

Disabling my second monitor now lets me into the game. Not the most ideal situation, but it works.
  • vordriasvordrias Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im not sure if I'm experiencing the same crash, but it wasn't happening during startup at first, it would happen randomly in-game, and when it asks me to describe what i was doing before the crash, i start typing something and the screen just disappears suddenly before I can submit anything. That has happened for about a week now. But today after it happened, it THEN started to happen at start-up. Either that or the login screen doesn't load properly. So am I having the same issue as every1 else?
  • prayerzzprayerzz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello,

Could anyone inform me how to fix my following problem:

I start up my neverwinter client it patches update's everything then I login play for a bit and after 15mins-1hour of playing my screen decide's to freeze. I shut down my PC and try again, same thing happens. Ive tested this with other games and they work fine. If people are interested in my spec's here they are: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, ASSUS GTX 550 ti 1terrab, and I use windows 7. My antivirus system is up to date and is callen McAfee. When I start to play my game I have a few programs running in the background such as Skype and Dayzcommander and Origins. Could this freeze have anything to do with my pc itself or is it a game bug? Please someone let me know.

Many Greets Dieter.
    edited May 2013
    pauliecoon wrote: »
    Disabling my second monitor now lets me into the game. Not the most ideal situation, but it works.

If I launch the game, then alt-tab and enable my second monitor, everything works fine. I just can't launch the game with it enabled.
This discussion has been closed.