test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weekly Neverwinter Comment to Win Contest - 01/18/13

cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Question: What dungeon was the closest you came to a total party kill? Was it a premade adventure, or did your DM build a death-trap?

Answer and you could win this Neverwinter shirt:
I6fUI.jpg

This contest ends Monday, 01/21, at 12 PM PST. Good luck, Adventurers!

Check your PMs to see if you won!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I post to win now. TY

EDITS CUZ PIN MADE ME D:<

Undermountain

Editing because I can. Hi Bubba! -Ambisinisterr (power abuser)
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I played With a friend from church once and we nearly TPKed each session, he said he wasnt planning for my character to be knocked unconscious every single session or that we nearly TPKed every session. It started with the first session being in a caravan we were then chased by Barbarian and I got hit and knocked unconscious, the second session we were hiding in cave a Barb found us and we ran in the cave, I fell to the bottom of a hole and knocked unconscious. The third there were creatures deeper in the cave that fired poison darts and we all went unconscious, 4th we helped the creature get rid of a demon in the cave during the fight I was knocked unconscious, 5th then we found a party of people outside and I was knocked unconscious during the fight, 6th We tracked down the Barb camp and went to kill them before killing the king I was knocked unconscious.

Im not sure what he had against my Druid, also I was the healer because I had the only class with any kind of healing spells

Oh an one time on a different campaign with a Druid and we were fighting 2 DireWolves, almost everyone died, My sister tried to play and was happy when she hurt me and my Wolf Companion. Anyway Ive said most of the rest of that story before.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    guinnjaguarguinnjaguar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It was Hogger
  • Options
    andysdead1andysdead1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've never been a PC during a total player kill, but I've been the DM who caused it. :-p
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Undermountain, The Terminus Level. Last TPK (1 year ago)
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    norathmorenorathmore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Puzzle mixed with a trap - they didn't answer the puzzle and died in flames, agonizing xD
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    It's been my experience that no dungeon in the good ol' Dungeons and Dragons days was ever an automatic party killer, it was the dice. We all loved the Randle Morn series, except that there were days when the dice simply didn't give the party the advantage. That was all. On the other hand, most in the group I partied with hated Ravenloft with a passion, and yet two of us turned it into an episode of Animaniacs with our own versions of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot. Nobody died, nobody apparently could die.
  • Options
    lifey1968lifey1968 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No contest: Tomb of Horrors! The ultimate 12 foot pole dungeon.
  • Options
    delgado616delgado616 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mine was in a church, everyone failed the perception and by the time we got ready to fight i was already dead (i think it mostly was because of my exotic cleric build xD), and the DM didnt even had planned for someone to die since it was the first fight on the campaign xD
  • Options
    master4evermaster4ever Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well...I killed my party for the first time last year...I am a DM! :(
  • Options
    mankind10mankind10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    it was a very long time ago, in Ravenloft, in Strad Castle, our DM enjoyed watching us suffer ( maybe a bit too much now that i think about ti), after nearly diving to our death we came upon a door, which we open, only to face a bunch of screaming banshee... et voila. we decided not to play Ravenloft anymore (and switch GM)
  • Options
    nxclass13nxclass13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Our DM made up this map with a baby blue dragon egg in it....it hatched while we were in there. Taking down the newborn Baby Blue Dragon was a chumpshot....no effort at all.....then thru the hole in the ceiling of the cave came mama.......ouch.
  • Options
    rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My Closest to a TPK? Was having half of the party nearly die finding my Character (who had been locked in a tomb for afew years) and then following them around until they encountered an Avatar of Orcus... I think all i managed to do in that fight was annoy it. Most of the Party survived but... It was only because the Avatar felt amused by not killing us.
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • Options
    madcowmisha76madcowmisha76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Being that I played mainly in the 1st edition/AD&D days, I gotta say I6 Ravenloft, or a close tie was the boxed set Return to the Tomb of Horrors!!
    GRIEVANCE Guild Affilaites
    GW2 - Scarloc Grimtooth, Human Ranger
    Aion - Skarlock the Chanter
    Neverwinter -
    Elder Scrolls -
    Bless -
  • Options
    red0beerred0beer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wasn't really a dungeon, but we were chasing some clerics who previously had revived a team member and while doing that, they have stolen a precious item from one of our teammates.. Well, needless to say that this was a death-trap. When we found the 3 clerics, two of them revealed that they were dragons and engaged in battle against us.. one was a black dragon in adult age and the other was a white dragon in venerable age.. Well... The DM did not think that we would engage in battle with them.. The only reason that one of our team members had survived is: he runned away like a frighten chicken and he warned the city guards.. Meawhile, the rest of us.. Well.. Died.
    And.. Sorry for the bad english.

Edit: All of us were 5th lvl characters..
    -" I Don't worry about how history will judge me..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After all, it will be written by the winners. And i am one. "

(Please don't mind my bad english, i'm Brazilian. :) )
  • Options
    munemasakatagirimunemasakatagiri Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I can't remember quite well, it was about 20 years ago when I played AD&D 2nd Edition. It was a dungeon made by the GM, a friend of my brother's. He was going to move to another city so he decided to kill us all, maybe he was sad cuz he wouldn't be able to play with us again so he put a red dragon at the end of the dungeon but he was not that mean so we could talk with the dragon and convince him not to kill all the party. I was a really strong female drow fighter and I liked my char a lot, we were playing for years and it couldn't end like that. It was difficult but we could convince the dragon, and the DM not to kill us.
  • Options
    jankowskijankowski Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited January 2013
    Premade Dungeon. Room full of harmless treasure chests... or so we thought...
  • Options
    crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2013
    Hey why don't employees get those shirts? :)

It was actually during a Neverwinter campaign. We were hunting down an aboleth living in the sewers, and its psychic powers were slowly driving our party insane. At one point my warlock was attacked by a party member and went into a blind rage killing friend and foe alike, while our wizard was lighting people on fire.
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It would be Queen of the Demon Pits ....she ate us...
  • Options
    vinsinarvinsinar Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    White Plume Mountain. So many traps/obstacles those stupid disc over the lava always got someone.
  • Options
    crowl37crowl37 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Actually, ours was not a dungeon at all. Many years ago in AD&D 2nd Edition we had a campaign that had been going on for the better part of the year - majority of the party were original characters from the first session. Myself and another of the party members had acquired enough wealth throughout our adventures that we were able to build a keep in the Dalelands. Oakenwood Dale we called it and it served as our party's base of operation. On one adventure our mage/thief lifted a magical mirror without any of us knowing. When we returned back to our keep he retired to the room in our keep that he used and began to experiment with the mirror. Turns out the mirror summoned a Glabrezu and he commenced to wreak havoc throughout our keep, the surrounding village and eventually wiped the entire party thus ending a very long campaign.

Pretty sure our DM was looking for a way out tho, because he did not really like high powered characters/campaigns.
  • Options
    tawmisnentawmisnen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Question: What dungeon was the closest you came to a total party kill? Was it a premade adventure, or did your DM build a death-trap?
    This contest ends Monday, 01/21, at 12 PM PST. Good luck, Adventurers!

Temple of Elemental Evil from the ground up. Several made "new" characters along the way due to death (as "freed prisoners" we'd find in various rooms). Was such an excellent time.
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm not really fond of the question. Yea I have a bunch of the whole party nearly died stories. And even some where I was the lone survivor do to clever unorthodox ways of using some obscure equipment. The the problem is they all take to long to explain. And I'm not sure anybody would want to read my wall's of text :p. But I'll tell you when it happens the most. Mean DM's wanting to kill the party to teach them a lesson. I'm pretty slippery though. And unless I'm taken down very early I normally find a way out.

Just call me Brave Sir Robin.

It became a bit of a joke and I had a friend roll up bard that followed me around called Neil Innes.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    mordantimordanti Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Two examples come to mind, actually. One ended well... and one didn't.

The first was when our party was deep underneath an ancient pyramid. Our way back out was blocked by several traps that had unfortunately been triggered, sealing off some of the routes back to the surface. But what were really deadly were the hordes of undead that were swarming us, with many rather nasty mummies in the mix. In desperation, we barricaded ourselves in a room for a last stand... when we heard running water from a grate in a corner! Forcing it open, we discovered an underground river! A deep, cold, unlit swiftly-flowing river... and four of the six members of the party couldn't swim.

Thinking quickly, the wizard cast his last Wall of Ice spell and created an icy raft! We all tumbled down onto it in a pile and floated to safety, to the howls of the mummies and the DM alike! TPK avoided!

The other example that came to mind of a TPK is detailed here - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/761805/1/The-Company-of-the-Hand - my cleric kept notes of how well his bumbling, combat-prone kill-first-don't-bother-asking-questions-later party was doing. For a while. :-)
  • Options
    veriqueverique Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Ship of Lost Souls had to have been the worst adventure that my party had ever seen. The ports to Waterdeep were locked up hard as the Merchant's Guild had closed the port. They closed it due to strange happenings on the high seas, which turned out to be a Ghost Ship sailing in the distance. My party stepped onto the ship, not knowing exactly what to expect. Everything was going well until we encountered a Weather Witch. She had the ability to push, slide, and control the battlefield better than the party could. Everyone ended up unconscious, but woke up somewhere else.
  • Options
    rainsmercy1rainsmercy1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Not a TPK, but close, we were hunting for a fugitive through some ice caves and ran into a white dragon. We were playing AD&D 2e rules. My Halfling thief had an item that would give me a flaming shield, and I used it right before the dragon breathed its frost breath on me. Unfortunately I failed my saving throw and because the nature of the item, it caused me to take double damage. I became a halfcicle, and the remaining party members instead of getting me rezzed instead chipped my magic items off of my body and took them after they defeated the dragon and I had to roll up a new character.
  • Options
    lichomancerlichomancer Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It was a homemade adventure I was running. The players actually killed themselves through their own stupidity of the situation and activating artifacts and some very bad times.
  • Options
    hakkaizennhakkaizenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In a dungeon, a lich used mind control on our barbarian...
  • Options
    silentraven89silentraven89 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It was an underdark campaign I was running.

Using a custom dungeon with a clear way of finishing the boss enounter that the party chose to ignore which resulted in the death of four out of five party members. The last party member proceeded to loot the rest of the party and excape the dungeon.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    Closest we came? Because I HAVE been in a full party wipe before playing PnP :) Damned mindflayers...
    We very rarely run pre-made modules.
    The closest we came to wiping without actually having wiped was when one of our friend's swords - a gift from an evil priest - ended up being sentient and using Call Lightning at a very inopportune moment.
This discussion has been closed.