test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official - Combat Changes - Zone Difficulty

This is a thread for feedback/bugs on difficulty in any zones of the game.

Comments

• mullymoomoo#7130 mullymoomoo Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    have tried sharandar, underdark, dread ring and vallenhas. didnt have a problem with any mobs in any zone, with 1 exception. the rotters in the dread ring which attack the guards for the main camp are much much tougher than anything else in zone and 3 shotted me multiple times. why are they so tough compared to the rest of the dread ring ??
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

have tried sharandar, underdark, dread ring and vallenhas. didnt have a problem with any mobs in any zone, with 1 exception. the rotters in the dread ring which attack the guards for the main camp are much much tougher than anything else in zone and 3 shotted me multiple times. why are they so tough compared to the rest of the dread ring ??

Thank you for the report. I've made some adjustments to those so they should be a lot less powerful after the next update.
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    jimmypdt said:

@noworries#8859
    Some changes are good. However, in MOD 16 you guys came out with zone scaling when everyone on the forums said not to, and look at the storm that caused. Luckily, you reversed that idea. Now you plan on bringing it back.
    I took a level 10 toon into blacklake with nothing but the starting gear on him. It took about 5-10 atwill attacks to kill a minion (avg. being about 7). I then equipped 3 lego mounts, 3 epic mounts, 3 epic companions and 4 rare companions and selected the stats I wanted from them and tried to kill things again. Guess what? No change in damage. looked at my stats and saw that power and crit went up almost 2% but most of my other stats dropped. So now giving new players (or your new characters) good items early on will do nothing to assist them. I can only imagine how long it is going to take people to do the campaigns now.

Please remove the zone scaling. You saw what happened in MOD 16. Don't make the same mistake twice!

There is no zone scaling, ratings are based on your item level so as you added all of those things, the caps went up as well.

Item level adds hit points and damage, so you should have seen a damage increase from those items.
  • jimmypdtjimmypdt Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    So I went through 5 different zones on my end game pally to see if there is a difference in the difficulty in the zones.

I removed all 5 companions slots, my vorpal and tenebrous enchantment to avoid random procs as much as possible. I only used my shielding strike at will to kill Tier 1 minions (they are the ones with only 1 red dot with their name and no special abilities). I did not change anything between runs in any of the zones. Here is what I found from killing 12 mobs of tier 1 minions from each zone.

Vallenhas - avg 33.33 attacks to kill
    Barovia - avg 28.67 attacks to kill
    Chult - avg 26.00 attacks to kill
    IWD Bryn Shander - avg 25.67 attacks to kill
    Dread Ring - avg 29.33 attacks to kill

Vallenhas is from MOD 18 and Dread Ring is from MOD 2 and it takes almost the same amount of attacks to kill in both zones. This is what I call zone scaling. The enemies damage and HP are based off of your Item level just like it is for your own character. It will become a grind fest to attempt to complete campaigns for people. Zone scaling was attempted in MOD 16 and was fully rejected by the player base. No one wants to go to an old zone and have to slog though it. Just my 2 cents. Please don't do this to the zones.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    > @xin51 said:
    > I do like the idea of having a place to test out changes for the upcoming system, however there is a real lack in insignias available. I can use my current character with a little gold and test out different changes to my companions, companion gear and enchantments, mounts and regular enchantments. But, currently there is no place to test out different options for our insignia unless we happen to have them in our inventory. Currently on my tank build I have mostly Fortitude Legendary Insignia and would like to see what other insignia would do to my build - but there are very limited options.
    >
    > Can we get some means to acquire higher level insignia to test out the system?

Trade Bar vendor has purple quality insignias, wide variety. To see higher quality insignia, buy a bunch of extra and convert to powder, then refine.

Right next to the Wondrous Bazaar vendor who sells the bars.
    Call me El, she/her only. Currently Professions-only until the next combat change fixes this mess.
    armadeonx said:

To say a zone has scaling would imply the player is scaled down when entering that zone, which they are not.

There are ongoing balance adjustments happening to critters as this isn't final work which is why it is not on live. Specific reports on critters that feel that they have either too much health or do too much damage compared to other critters in their range is how we can find and address those issues. Example being the person who called out the zombie rotters in dread ring which now have an adjustment for a future build

To the minds of most players - when enemies are scaled UP to your TIL, that is still scaling...
    That also does not happen. The critters never scale to the player. The zone/map sets the item level value on the critters and it is never based on the player, it is a flat number assigned per map.
  • dracory1#6808 dracory1 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    I don't know if it is a bug, but in Shores of Tuern if a Black Dragon Cultist reads a scroll, they become extremely powerful - while soloing they were taking 1/3 of my HP per hit as DPS with 350k HP in that area.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

I don't know if it is a bug, but in Shores of Tuern if a Black Dragon Cultist reads a scroll, they become extremely powerful - while soloing they were taking 1/3 of my HP per hit as DPS with 350k HP in that area.

This is pretty normal for enlarged Black Dragon Cultists. They were always best to deal with first or at least stun them out of reading the scroll.
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I don't want to get into a semantics debate about the term 'scaling'. I do have two points to make that i hope will clarify the difference in combat system (and yes--i have gone into a few zones and I did encounter and quickly die with the zombie rotters in Dread Ring and that scared me quite a bit):
    1) If my characters are able to complete quests through Sharandar, Dread Ring, IWD, and WOD fairly quickly now, I would expect the new combat system to allow them to complete the same quests at the same rate. Actually, I would expect the same result on any campaign, (Undermountain, Vallenhas, etc.) The difficulty level of each of those zone should not change based upon the new combat system. This assumes that I will need to balance my stats as best as I can to utilize the new system properly. Which brings up my next point:

2) My character stats are currently driven by the bonding runestones. That will change with the new combat system. Ok. It appears after looking at a few other characters in Protector's Enclave that if they have all of their mounts and companions turned on, their item level is in the mid 40s. If it is off, then their item level is in the mid to low 30s. This appears to indicate that the stats are still coming from the mounts/companions. Meaning that we need to exchange our bonding runestones for an equivalent type of bonus, or bolster. However; there does not appear to be any mechanism that will allow us to exchange the current bonding runestone to increasing the companion and mount bolster to become an 'equivalent' level. Even if we exchange rank 15 bonding runestones for the AD benefit mentioned in other posts, I don't see any way to turn those AD into insignias/mounts and if we use them to increase just for companions, three rank 15 bondings will at most change 5 legendary companions to mythic. Can you tell me if that is an 'equivalent' character, because damage wise, it doesn't not appear to be the case.

I don't mean to hijack the thread. If it is in the wrong thread or area, feel free to move it.

aslan3775 said:

I don't want to get into a semantics debate about the term 'scaling'. I do have two points to make that i hope will clarify the difference in combat system (and yes--i have gone into a few zones and I did encounter and quickly die with the zombie rotters in Dread Ring and that scared me quite a bit):
    1) If my characters are able to complete quests through Sharandar, Dread Ring, IWD, and WOD fairly quickly now, I would expect the new combat system to allow them to complete the same quests at the same rate. Actually, I would expect the same result on any campaign, (Undermountain, Vallenhas, etc.) The difficulty level of each of those zone should not change based upon the new combat system. This assumes that I will need to balance my stats as best as I can to utilize the new system properly. Which brings up my next point:

2) My character stats are currently driven by the bonding runestones. That will change with the new combat system. Ok. It appears after looking at a few other characters in Protector's Enclave that if they have all of their mounts and companions turned on, their item level is in the mid 40s. If it is off, then their item level is in the mid to low 30s. This appears to indicate that the stats are still coming from the mounts/companions. Meaning that we need to exchange our bonding runestones for an equivalent type of bonus, or bolster. However; there does not appear to be any mechanism that will allow us to exchange the current bonding runestone to increasing the companion and mount bolster to become an 'equivalent' level. Even if we exchange rank 15 bonding runestones for the AD benefit mentioned in other posts, I don't see any way to turn those AD into insignias/mounts and if we use them to increase just for companions, three rank 15 bondings will at most change 5 legendary companions to mythic. Can you tell me if that is an 'equivalent' character, because damage wise, it doesn't not appear to be the case.

I don't mean to hijack the thread. If it is in the wrong thread or area, feel free to move it.

The zombies in Dread Ring are a known issue. They have a fix on standby for the next patch.
    canuck1 said:

It would be nice of a Dev to come on and speak about this. I have been on preview on 2 of my mains and it has required multiple exchanges of my enchants, runestones and insignias as well as the 5 mythic companions to play the game similar to before. If there are no ways to exchange what we worked our asses of for OR paid for based on the previous MODS requirements then this is a huge money grab and slap in the face. Again - I don't mind change - go for a better game by all means but don't throw out everything we worked hard to get - 1 for 1 non-bound items exchange vendor for a short time after launch is the solution to our concerns. Thank you.

They want to wait a few days/ a week to let people try new things out before deciding on having an exchange for other things in game. Keep trying things out and standby for a statement that will soon come mate. Good luck.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    > @aslan3775 said:
    > Just a quick question--I would like to make similar changes and move stuff around--how did you get your companions to mythic? Did you have extra AD or did you have a significant amount of companion tokens? The same question for mounts/insignias if you upgraded any of them.

The AD vendor on Preview sells Tradebars for 1 Copper each. Then the tradebar vendor sells enchants, insignias, mounts, and upgrade tokens. My live character can't possibly afford what I put into this, but it's fun to check it out this way.
    Call me El, she/her only. Currently Professions-only until the next combat change fixes this mess.
  • codetellercodeteller Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    assuming we are supposed to be comparable from live to preview:
    took a paladin to dread ring, no problems on live, doing <15% of the damage I do on live on preview
    similarly, I had a arcanist wizard I just did some maze engine quests on live, did the same quests on preview, and I was doing about <15% of the damage I did on live
    both of these zones don't affect ilevel so it shouldn't be scaling

to be more precise, mobs I was able to defeat in 1-2 shots on live, were taking 6-9 shots on preview

on my paladin on live , I was doing about 70k to servitors, on preview I was only doing about 10k
    Post edited by codeteller on
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    I looked into this and found the fights in most places are like fighting bullet sponges and your character is the slightly better bullet sponge themselves. I personally haven't much issue, as I am a casual player. Where I assume you will have problems;

In Live, I can solo run Biggrin's Tomb in Icewind Dale in about 5 minutes. On preview I am getting hammered having to drink a lot of my health pots just to get there takes 2 to 3 times longer. He is easy enough to take down but the deathlocks are summoning up an army and if you don't take them out fast, you get swarmed and die.

In Dread Ring I am drinking pots and getting longer fights in the lairs but still able to finish. These and other lower end places will be a sore spot with people who run them for the tiny amount of AD they produce weekly. I personally don't see 4,500 AD as a big amount, but other players want that 6 cents. Sybella makes the end gamers run old content, while I don't expect old content to be a pushover, it shouldn't be harder than messing around in Avernus or Vallenhas. Avernus I barely use pots and the fights are still long and survivable.

People will cry and whine about how much longer it takes to complete these AD quests and Sybella runs. I haven't been in a dungeon with a group yet (planning to this weekend) but I went to Cloak Tower in a private and the first group of orcs murdered me. I sort of expected that to happen.

I don't have any issues with this as long as the health isn't going to be nerfed. Most of my characters are getting 250,000 to 300,000 max health and my pots are healing between 200K to 250K. The enemy is time at this point, the longer the breeders survive they make more to kill and they swarm. I know most places are suppose to be done in a group like the dungeons are mandatory. My advice is make friends, get a guild, and run content together.

I have no suggestions on how you are going to please everyone. I am sure the players will work out how to beat your system in the months ahead, and the YouTubers will be posting up everything we need to survive the next module.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
    aslan3775 said:

canuck1 said:

. . . it has required multiple exchanges of my enchants, runestones and insignias as well as the 5 mythic companions to play the game similar to before. . . Thank you.

Just a quick question--I would like to make similar changes and move stuff around--how did you get your companions to mythic? Did you have extra AD or did you have a significant amount of companion tokens? The same question for mounts/insignias if you upgraded any of them.

Besides what @eladonwarps#6040 told you above...
    You can clone AD with your character you move to preview and bank it. Delete the preview character, copy to preview, bank AD and repeat. This process depending on how much AD you can place on your character will make you AD rich but only on preview.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • khaozhunterkhaozhunter Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    > @aslan3775 said:
    > Just a quick question--I would like to make similar changes and move stuff around--how did you get your companions to mythic? Did you have extra AD or did you have a significant amount of companion tokens? The same question for mounts/insignias if you upgraded any of them.

In preview server you can buy 1000 tarmalune trade bar for 1 copper in wondrous bazaar, and buy companion token with tarmalune, or buy mount token.
    @noworries#8859 here is my take on what you have so far from the freemium player perspective;

1. Radiant Health Pot costs 70 silver in game.
    2. Radiant Health Pot costs 120 AD in the auction house.
    3. In random low end zones modules 1-14 I am drinking about 4 to 5 just to keep from dying.
    4. Do I make 2 or 3 gold in these zones? Hell no.
    5. Do I make 480 to 600 in these zones? Maybe if I am doing a weekly 4,500 AD quest otherwise no.

You end up bleeding out gold or AD as a result. If this continues, my choice will be not to run low end content. New players will end up having to help themselves. Sybella quests will lose their appeal. Everything she sells is bound and has little or no real AD value.

From the perspective of the paid player;

1. I like the looks of the lockbox, I may end up buying more key bundles. This isn't going to make me play low end zones. Lockboxes drop the same in all zones.
    2. I don't see the progression of our gear yet, maybe this is still around the corner?
    3. I don't like the idea that I will no longer be allowed to sandbox where I want to participate. I feel like you are telling us to keep out of low end modules. I know that cannot be your goal.

With the zones incapable of feeding enough copper to cover the cost of just being there, players will stick to zones that support their play style.

I made a new character on preview to see what start up will be like, I am busy at present but as I stated, plan to do more this weekend.
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    Goblin cutters in Lonelywood seems a tad hard to kill compared to other zones critters
    Elite Whaleboy
  • sriram#1646 sriram Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    The Problematic and time consuming zone is Sea of Moving Ice if we any to move to other island it's taking too much time for travel it is better to put travel points on each island to travel faster
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    sameriker said:

I looked into this and found the fights in most places are like fighting bullet sponges and your character is the slightly better bullet sponge themselves. I personally haven't much issue, as I am a casual player. Where I assume you will have problems;

In Live, I can solo run Biggrin's Tomb in Icewind Dale in about 5 minutes. On preview I am getting hammered having to drink a lot of my health pots just to get there takes 2 to 3 times longer. He is easy enough to take down but the deathlocks are summoning up an army and if you don't take them out fast, you get swarmed and die.

In Dread Ring I am drinking pots and getting longer fights in the lairs but still able to finish. These and other lower end places will be a sore spot with people who run them for the tiny amount of AD they produce weekly. I personally don't see 4,500 AD as a big amount, but other players want that 6 cents. Sybella makes the end gamers run old content, while I don't expect old content to be a pushover, it shouldn't be harder than messing around in Avernus or Vallenhas. Avernus I barely use pots and the fights are still long and survivable.

People will cry and whine about how much longer it takes to complete these AD quests and Sybella runs. I haven't been in a dungeon with a group yet (planning to this weekend) but I went to Cloak Tower in a private and the first group of orcs murdered me. I sort of expected that to happen.

I don't have any issues with this as long as the health isn't going to be nerfed. Most of my characters are getting 250,000 to 300,000 max health and my pots are healing between 200K to 250K. The enemy is time at this point, the longer the breeders survive they make more to kill and they swarm. I know most places are suppose to be done in a group like the dungeons are mandatory. My advice is make friends, get a guild, and run content together.

I have no suggestions on how you are going to please everyone. I am sure the players will work out how to beat your system in the months ahead, and the YouTubers will be posting up everything we need to survive the next module.

@noworries#8859 this is what I'm referring to when I say that enemies are being scaled up.

I assume these zones are still the same for new characters but if geared players are now having as much of a fight as non-geared players, some sort of 'adjustment' for player gear is going on even though you deny it. Unless of course it's just a bug..?
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    armadeonx said:

sameriker said:

@noworries#8859 this is what I'm referring to when I say that enemies are being scaled up.

I assume these zones are still the same for new characters but if geared players are now having as much of a fight as non-geared players, some sort of 'adjustment' for player gear is going on even though you deny it. Unless of course it's just a bug..?
    Truly the critters in those zones have the same stats for any player fighting them regardless of the player's item level.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

armadeonx said:

sameriker said:

Truly the critters in those zones have the same stats for any player fighting them regardless of the player's item level.
    ...But then why are players reporting that these areas are harder now?
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • shanin#3613 shanin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    In the lair of the mad mage (LMM) on the 2nd boss (Bore Worm), the boulders have too much health or defensive stats. A group of 5 dps cannot complete the boulders stage without charging the worm at full power.
    If this is not fixed, the Bore Worm will be a very interesting place to test healing abilities. But the phase with the boulders will be useless - you can immediately charge the worm at full power skipping this stage.
  • than0z#0812 than0z Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I have started to test beginner zones with one of my alt and let me list my observations below for each zone...

I was planning to create a fresh toon for it but I decided to test it with my mid-level alt that I use mainly for RTQ-REDQ IL is around 27k. I didn't do any adjustment after I start playing in preview server. Just as it is.

---------------------------------

Sharandar -> It takes more time than usual to complete dailies. I don't know if my character is so weak or mobs are stronger than live server but I had to use extra encounter combinations to defeat them.

Big mobs like cyclops seems have higher stats vs live server and I felt like it is way to high comparing to my characters stats. It is just 64 level zone and challenging...

Dread Ring -> I tried to finish DS and the most challenging part was the boss, Knight Commander. He was like a small Zariel :).
    I don't know how I can survive with a fresh toon with basic gears...

IWD -> Will be tested.

Underdark -> Will be tested.

• blackwolftundrablackwolftundra Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    so when will we see some changes in Me cause after trying to kill Battletested Warrior that i noticed how he's impossible to kill and how none of my toons can even get him down to 50% for the amount of damage he does for being like Vansi Bloodscar from cloak tower cause when i try to beat down as well Gravemaster he's also impossible to kill half the time where i have been noticing this from some some of the monsters and hope they can get a adjustment
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

so when will we see some changes in Me cause after trying to kill Battletested Warrior that i noticed how he's impossible to kill and how none of my toons can even get him down to 50% for the amount of damage he does for being like Vansi Bloodscar from cloak tower cause when i try to beat down as well Gravemaster he's also impossible to kill half the time where i have been noticing this from some some of the monsters and hope they can get a adjustment

Well it has to be reported first, so thank you for doing so!
    armadeonx said:

armadeonx said:

sameriker said:

...But then why are players reporting that these areas are harder now?
    I said, longer not harder. The definition of "scaling" is to alter your stats to match an area or other players, @noworries#8859 has not changed your stats to match a given zone. His team has lowered the ocean. They have changed ALL the stats. The fights were a lot longer last weekend. This weekend they are much closer to what I think users will like.

The game isn't scaling you down, but they are juggling damage versus health. Last week, it felt like the fights went on longer than need be. What makes the fight harder, in these cases, is those damn breeders who spawn adds to annoy the HAMSTER out you. This doesn't make or break it, you just have to think about who to kill off first. As common rule (in all games) you want to take out healers and hope someone will keep their tank busy while you do.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't care to be so overpowered, I toss out one shot and the entire mob falls dead. The general conclusion has been, this is all about making us weak, so we must level up or power up to achieve the same results as before. I see the money and where they are planning to soak us, but this is not it. Frankly making you think about your actions makes for the better playing experience.

As for what they plan to sell you; it took me over 3000 companion tokens (on preview) to boost 10 companions up to Mythic for the 100% bolster. Sybella gives you 3 quests per week for a total of 5 tokens per week or 260 tokens a year. Your freemium grinders will be grinding 12 years to get there. Even if you have 10 legendary companions today, that is still 1500 tokens you will need. But this is another topic for another time.
  • tamtoucantamtoucan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Hi. I haven't given this a full test, but with the latest xxx203e.4 version I re-spec'ed my toon (HR warden) to as good as I could and tried Avernus and got on fine. However I then tried Dread Legion Skirmish which I can solo no bother just now and got completely wiped. Maybe this is intentional since it's meant to be 5 people, but it's 10k IL and I had 40k.

Also, it capped my HP and Damage and said I am fighting at a different Item Level which I'm still unclear as to how this works in the new system.

Thanks.