test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Boxes to open ? Magnificent ?

awakenedtopowerawakenedtopower Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Chance to get most expensive mount, one of the most expensive companions and most expensive purple artifact ? what is there to compete ?
Post edited by awakenedtopower on

Comments

• quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    New ones are best i think, with a chance for 140% mount.
  • rebellionstuffrebellionstuff Member Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2015
    well if your willing to try it you cant go negative with the rust lockbox. but the coal ward youll be factoring into the gain will be bound so sometimes youll basically buy yourself a coal ward whether you wanted it or not. thats just being smart. as far as chances of success of rare items i have no freaking clue.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Chance to get most expensive mount, one of the most expensive companions and most expensive purple artifact ??

Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very Very very very very very very low , don't waste your zen
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If I was a meanspirited evil person I still wouldn't be vindictive enough to tell you the gamble boxes are a good idea
  • rebellionstuffrebellionstuff Member Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2015
    ihaveahies wrote: »
    I think you're missing a few verys off. Personally I'm not sure if it's a bad thing, such a low drop rate makes me feel like it's really greedy, but on the plus side it lets me know that it's not even worth trying and so I can't be addicted and waste money.

wanna guess how many lockboxes i opened? 3. thats all i wanted to try them and i did and i got nothing worth anything and went on with life. havnt opened one since dont regret it. i showed my support with 60 bucks to this game for a mount and a few other things and whala im happy.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There was a time that purchasing a few dozen keys was a fun little side game, you would more or less make up the value of them.

Sadly as time has marched on, the value of doing that subsided, to now you will just lose any value for the most part, the people who open up thousand at a time usually do the best now, as they can recoup cost if they get a lucky strike or two.

I never did that many, but I would do enough to earn one cward normally back in the day when it was easier and they didnt nerf the trade bar rate.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If I was a meanspirited evil person I still wouldn't [...]

You're not?

:^D

OK, on topic:

When I tried that a year ago, and sold off all the 2nd grade prizes on the AH, I got about 40-50% of the invested AD back. It can get a bit better if you have a lot of stuff you want to upgrade, because ca. 20 boxes => 1 Coal Ward (BoA) at the Tarmalune Bar merchant. So you can dump that into the calculation, then you still make a loss.

And if and when you hit the big prize, like the Armored Strider, the problem arises that you'll have to put it up on AH - and wait / hope for someone who has those 50 million AD (or more) you'll want for it. Chances are that that doesn't happen during your 5 day auction window - then you're sitting on a 5 meg AH fee loss...

So, if you have money/AD to burn you can hit a gold mine there. But then, it can just as well (or even better, chances-wise) just burn your money.
  • mungsumungsu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In my experience, the best lockbox in terms of the rate that purple mounts and companions were dropped was the nightmare lockbox. Of course that's because half the items in that box were purple ones and most of the content in that box was very useable. Each lockbox since then gets a little bit worse in terms of cost-benefit rewards.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mungsu wrote: »
    In my experience, the best lockbox in terms of the rate that purple mounts and companions were dropped was the nightmare lockbox. Of course that's because half the items in that box were purple ones and most of the content in that box was very useable. Each lockbox since then gets a little bit worse in terms of cost-benefit rewards.

Pretty much backed up by the Wiki RNG tests
  • grabmooregrabmoore Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Since chance for best items is 1/1000 (tested with almost all boxes, opening 3k on preview), you are better off not opening any box ever.
    @grabmoore

Heroes of Darkness

Retired since 02/15
    My opinions are my own. Please do not judge my friends nor guild for my statements.
  • smellykuntismellykunti Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    i was in sharandar the other day and i had a dude on a new mount run by me and say "kinda slow aren't you"

all i could think about was. "i'm glad you think you spent your money wisely".
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If you want something out of a lockbox buy it directly from the auctionhouse. If you try to get something of worth out of a lockbox you will only end up frustrated.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • scoutmasterjscoutmasterj Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    When a new lock box comes out, I usually buy 10 keys and open up 10 boxes. Most times I end up losing money on the deal, but it's fun. I decided that the point of the game was to have fun, if I'm not having fun, what the heck am I doing.

If you view the lockboxes as an AD making scheme, you probably aren't good at math.
  • healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Actually only Cryptic knows (if they did not leak it to specific people). Some lockboxes seem to have better value items but it is all up to the odds of getting the drop.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You're not?
    then you're sitting on a 5 meg AH fee loss...

Highest possible loss for a non-sold item is 2m. The fees are 2% and are lost if the item doesn't sell. The AH Cut is 10% and is only processed when sold.

Still, a lot to gamble.
  • exgardianexgardian Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Best lockbox ? Dragonforge of course. The Metallic Sigil you can sell it for ... millions of AD.
    2fv72Fw.png
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    With them kind of odds, one only has to look at real Gamblers with that addiction, to realize it's a sickness in which several have lost their job, their home, their family, and their self-respect.

Boy, that is the truth!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."