test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please Stop Using Sunburst

ponyforeverponyforever Member Posts: 20 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Temple
Tell your friends!

Every other class needs the enemies to be grouped up in one place. The last thing they'll appreciate is you coming into the middle of everyone and knocking them a mile away with your ability. I've sadly had to kick many a cleric after asking them repeatedly to stop doing that. I'm a CW, at least I can usually group them back up. I can only imagine how frustrated the melee classes get (except rogues, nobody cares how they feel :p).

The only time to use it is in PVP, or when enemies can be knocked off platforms (like in Dread Vault).

Take it off your bar. Replace it with Bastion and/or Astral Shield--the god of all your abilities!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yllenyllen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I was in a dual cleric group in epic cloak tower the other day and the other cleric kept running into the grouped adds and hitting sunburst. Many a time he managed to coincide it with me casting a Glow, which then proceeded to not hit any mobs.

Its certainly frustrating to see it used to the detriment of the rest of the party, just to maximise personal DPS.
  • rhbunnyrhbunny Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2015
    Thank you!! My main is a CW and my alt is a DC. I love you clerics for the heals but Sunburst is the most frustrating move ever. I cast Icy Terrain and gather the little mobs together, press to cast Steal Time and as it's casting... poof... cleric has used sunburst!!
    When running with my alt I use sunburst while I'm soloing the quests but take it off or only use it in Divinity for skirmishes etc.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Divine sunburst is okay
    regular or empowered is infuriating
    21.jpg
  • slandermaliceslandermalice Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I only use it on my alt when I am pvp or solo farming! NEVER use that in dungeons.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Here's the deal:

When I've slotted heals and (de)buffs, that leaves me with very few options for defense. So while the glory seekers are busy tanking and DPSing and crowd controlling, and I get swarmed by mobs.. yes, I'm going to Sunburst. When I'm in ToT with my DC and I'm Protecting the Clerics, yes, I'm going to Sunburst.

Do NOT tell me how to play my character. The quicker she dies, the quicker the rest of you die because the interventions that I've been doing have been keeping you alive.

Oh, and yes, I use Astral Seal. "But it doesn't heal enough!" Then you need to be doing more damage. The more damage you do, the more it heals.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ok tbh sunburst is a cc right, CW uses cc, GF does , lots of class try to avoid onehits from mobs in eCC , since lots of CW (the bad ones) are more focussed on damage than on cc it is by sure a welcome cc against mobs that cast red zones all over the floor, in some situation it is the only effective way to prevent teammates from beeing onhitted ...when timing is good
    if I see a CW taht CONTROLS there is no need to use sunburst, it is shown 100 times that running the right spec and running the right feats you can do this with ease and make the run very comfortible, but as long as there are some nub player in your group who even do not find the door to get out the dungeon, sunburst deals good assist
  • yllenyllen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    When I'm in ToT with my DC and I'm Protecting the Clerics, yes, I'm going to Sunburst..

So it sounds like you are agreeing that it is a very situational power. I don't think anyone is disagreeing there. And neither is anyone trying tell you how to play. What I am saying, and what I think the OP is saying, is that you shouldn't use it all the time. When there is no danger to yourself, or the party and we're just burning down trash, don't run into the nicely grouped up mobs and hit sunburst...
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The OP told we, the DCs, to take it off our bar.

No.

Again, don't tell me how to play my character.

Obviously it's a situational power and people sometimes "abuse" said power, but for a non-DC to presume to tell DCs to stop using our only defensive spell is horsesh!t.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • ponyforeverponyforever Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2015

No.

Obviously it's a situational power and people sometimes "abuse" said power, but for a non-DC to presume to tell DCs to stop using our only defensive spell is horsesh!t.

LOL. I'm not a non-DC. My first level 60 is a full-heal DC. I stopped using Sunburst around level 15-ish.

I'll also add that a cleric is tanky enough that they don't have to Sunburst mobs off themselves. They can use dash and try to off-tank the aggro. They have a shield for heaven's sake. In situations where a cleric is getting mobbed that badly, Sunburst is going to get them off for like 1/2 a second at best anyway. It just makes the enemies pay even more attention to you...

Sunburst IS very useful in something like Dread Vault or maybe Spellplague, where the cleric can bop adds right off the edge. It's also wonderful in PVP. Divine Sunburst is okay anytime. Otherwise, Sunburst just disrupts the grouping of mobs and makes it very frustrating. It benefits nobody for enemies to be scattered all over the room, forcing the party to kill them one at a time.

Play your character however you want to, just don't be surprised when you get kicked for messing up everyone's rotations and making the dungeon take twice as long to complete. :confused:
  • silktrocitysilktrocity Member Posts: 239 Arc User

No.

Im a 16.5k DC and The FACT is, the ONLY time Sunburst is useful in any means, is spell plagues boss, and pirate kings first boss. Other then that, There are better encounters, debuffs,buffs to use. Sunburst is a joke and if you're experienced in end game content you'll most likely agree. If you as a healer is getting swarmed, then the group is doing something wrong.. Don't use a shiity encounter and mess up everyone else because of that.

Lady Vayo TR - Silky OP - Lord Reven DC (retired) - Lady Luck HR (retired)
  • silktrocitysilktrocity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    Tell your friends!

Every other class needs the enemies to be grouped up in one place. The last thing they'll appreciate is you coming into the middle of everyone and knocking them a mile away with your ability. I've sadly had to kick many a cleric after asking them repeatedly to stop doing that. I'm a CW, at least I can usually group them back up. I can only imagine how frustrated the melee classes get (except rogues, nobody cares how they feel :p).

The only time to use it is in PVP, or when enemies can be knocked off platforms (like in Dread Vault).

Take it off your bar. Replace it with Bastion and/or Astral Shield--the god of all your abilities!

While we're at it, you CW's need to stop using that ice storm daily... that's even worse.

Lady Vayo TR - Silky OP - Lord Reven DC (retired) - Lady Luck HR (retired)
  • ponyforeverponyforever Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    While we're at it, you CW's need to stop using that ice storm daily... that's even worse.

Agreed. Ice Storm is the Sunburst of the CW abilities. Don't use that either, LOL.

• obliquity811obliquity811 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Chains in Divinity mode with an Empowered at the end is WAY better than Sunburst for "personal defense" that, and good Defense/Deflect/HP
  • zenghenzenghen Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Personally I use Sunburst when playing solo, but once in a while in a group I will use it as a spot heal to top off everyone's health when there are no adds, since it does decent healing and quick recharge. Usually for group play, Divine Glow is slotted though.
  • rylnarirylnari Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    As a DC myself, I only find Sunburst useful in PvP. There is no reason to use it solo and it is extremely situational in dungeons (as already pointed out).

BTW, IMO best solo set up is:
    - Astral Seal + Brand of the Sun
    - Chains + Glow + Daunting Light
    - Foresight + Terrifying insight
    - Flame Strike + whatever
    Post edited by rylnari on
  • gkjones85gkjones85 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    I just wanted to add to this thread real quick.

Pug groups in lol/elol and shores sun burst is amazing for disrupting the drakes from their one hitter quitter spin move. All the noobs who think having a cleric means they can stand in red are saved by this one during the trash pulls.

Chuck Norris
  • majordogmeatmajordogmeat Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Sunburst is the stuff wet dreams are made of in the Tiamat fight. (This is one of the situations that it is okay to punt adds off cliffs.)
  • rylnarirylnari Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Sunburst is the stuff wet dreams are made of in the Tiamat fight. (This is one of the situations that it is okay to punt adds off cliffs.)

I would go even further and chastise any DC that is not using Sunburst during Tiamat's cleric phase. For extra push area+distance, remember to use it [fully] empowered.

• davidagaldodavidagaldo Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I am a SunBurst user and ashamed that I am. :)

I need it at this point if I draw too many near me and missed them with my potent AoEs. I'm only a lvl 30. Sheeesh!
    Guild: Spectrum
    .. Teucer (HR) / Maximus Decimus (DC) .. GT: ApexDemon
  • jamis4maximusjamis4maximus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I think I was around level 30 last time I used sunburst with my DC outside of an occasional pvp match or certain cliff/bridge areas until the other day. I pulled it out for a PUG Epic Pirate King's last area (to knock all the mobs off the final bridge) and decided not to take the time to swap it back out for the boss fight or the rest of the following EPK run. I can say following run was a far slower using sunburst and a bit painful for the two GWFs that kept having to chase enemies around. At a certain point, I think my experiment turned into straight trolling when I couldn't stop laughing at the GWFs swinging aimlessly at the air.

Seriously though, sunburst is very situational. Just say NO to recreational sunbursting.

Seriously though, sunburst is very situational. Just say NO to recreational sunbursting.

Ha, I was just trying to 'lighten' the mood about SB. I have not had it enabled since lvl 15.
  • enicegeoenicegeo Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Has anyone else tried mixing Chains with Sunburst? Sunburst alone just gets adds off momentarily and they move straight back but with Chains they stay locked in place after being knocked back.
    edited July 2015
    I had to use SB yesterday, the random group I was with was difficult to assist. I would AS, Chain, and SB then huddle with team mates for their threat which I wonder if it matters with my high GS for a lvl 41.

• jonnybgamerjonnybgamer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    thought i'd share my expereince with sunburst here
    just for fun i ran a group of 5 dc with the focus being sunburst mayhem
    with a little ghost buster crossing the stream role playing too
    our group was mostly dps builds of average gs rating of around 13k to 16k
    not only was this fun but it was effective. how effective you may ask? well we went from a pk run to dread vault to even castle never with only one wipe on dv boss!
    not only will i be doing this more cause it's mega fun i recommend this to anyone who can form a group (though i would say having a few dps builds would be ideal)
    towards the end we lost one cause it was late but it was fun to hear the reaction of the random we picked up.
    funny how he didn't quit right away and was very surprised how well we were doing
  • patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    On my DC, I only use sunburst in Tiamat. There are just far better powers to use in every other aspect of the game. imo
  • darkpathslpdarkpathslp Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I use it in elol if I see people dying to emporer rage drake spin attack.
  • codher0codher0 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    You shouldnt tell people not to use their powers. It's not right.
  • enicegeoenicegeo Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    If you like Gift of Haste then use Sunburst. Divine mode Sunburst procs it each cast and I heard that Cleansing Fire also procs GoH. I've been using it a lot in skirmishes where everyone is usually bunched up. The text clutters the screen.