test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to NEVER get better at PvP: a Step by Step guide

lemonknuckleslemonknuckles Member Posts: 62
edited June 2015 in PvP Discussion
Greetings adventurers of Neverwinter!

I thought it would be useful to work on a practical, step-by-step guide on how to not get better at PvP. The forums already have a great read on how to improve someone's PvP game (located here), but there's obviously a section of the community very interested in maintaining their status as shark-bait. This guide is for them!

Let's go!
  1. Only PvP for the dailies.

It's important that you maintain the mindset that you only PvP grudgingly, and to the minimum extent possible, as a means of getting some more AD. It's even better if you preface every forum post you make with the clarification that you "only PvP for the dailies." These kinds of public declarations help ensure your lack of commitment and personal accountability to the process of getting better.

2. Identify your power load-out and skill rotation. Stick to it mindlessly.

Ideally this is a cut-and-paste of what you use for PvE, but you can accomplish much of the same results even if you have a PvP-specific load-out by just sticking to it. Don't pay attention to what's happening in-game, and don't try to adapt by swapping out powers mid-game. If you have a favorite rotation sequence, stay faithful to it. It really helps your lack of development when you've mastered the art of becoming predictably predictable.

3. Understand which classes are OP.

Whenever you lose, think about how many OP characters you were up against. If the number is >0, stop thinking--you have identified everything you need to know about why you lost. This is an incredibly productive mind-set to adopt. By focusing so much on the OPness of other classes, you'll find little space to think about the elements of your own gameplay that could be improved. To really master this step, go further and imagine that everyone who plays one of these OP classes is a skilless baby, and that losing with a weak class requires superhuman skill. That way you give your enemy zero credit for anything they might actually be doing, and you can feel very proud about all of the things you are not doing.

4. Don't use PvP potions. It takes more "skill" to play without them.

PvP potions are for wimps. And for people interested in winning.

5. Don't use your mic, or communicate with your team in any way.

Communication and teamplay can help win you games you otherwise would lose. Much better to keep the mic on mute and silently curse the scrubs on your team who can't take an objective.

6. Stay laser focused on KDA ratios. They mean everything in a game like Domination.

Chase targets around the map for that extra kill. Concede the node immediately if you feel like your health is in jeopardy. Spend a couple of minutes running off in search of a health potion if you feel like you might die. Getting better often involves an understanding that one good death is worth more than 5 bad kills, so keep obsessing about KDA above all else.

This list is surely just the tip of the iceberg. Please help develop this guide by replying with your own steps. I'm positive if we all work together, we can compile the ultimate guide on how to never get better at PvP!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Greetings adventurers of Neverwinter!

I thought it would be useful to work on a practical, step-by-step guide on how to not get better at PvP. The forums already have a great read on how to improve someone's PvP game (located here), but there's obviously a section of the community very interested in maintaining their status as shark-bait. This guide is for them!

Let's go!
    1. Only PvP for the dailies.

It's important that you maintain the mindset that you only PvP grudgingly, and to the minimum extent possible, as a means of getting some more AD. It's even better if you preface every forum post you make with the clarification that you "only PvP for the dailies." These kinds of public declarations help ensure your lack of commitment and personal accountability to the process of getting better.

2. Identify your power load-out and skill rotation. Stick to it mindlessly.

Ideally this is a cut-and-paste of what you use for PvE, but you can accomplish much of the same results even if you have a PvP-specific load-out by just sticking to it. Don't pay attention to what's happening in-game, and don't try to adapt by swapping out powers mid-game. If you have a favorite rotation sequence, stay faithful to it. It really helps your lack of development when you've mastered the art of becoming predictably predictable.

3. Understand which classes are OP.

Whenever you lose, think about how many OP characters you were up against. If the number is >0, stop thinking--you have identified everything you need to know about why you lost. This is an incredibly productive mind-set to adopt. By focusing so much on the OPness of other classes, you'll find little space to think about the elements of your own gameplay that could be improved. To really master this step, go further and imagine that everyone who plays one of these OP classes is a skilless baby, and that losing with a weak class requires superhuman skill. That way you give your enemy zero credit for anything they might actually be doing, and you can feel very proud about all of the things you are not doing.

4. Don't use PvP potions. It takes more "skill" to play without them.

PvP potions are for wimps. And for people interested in winning.

5. Don't use your mic, or communicate with your team in any way.

Communication and teamplay can help win you games you otherwise would lose. Much better to keep the mic on mute and silently curse the scrubs on your team who can't take an objective.

6. Stay laser focused on KDA ratios. They mean everything in a game like Domination.

Chase targets around the map for that extra kill. Concede the node immediately if you feel like your health is in jeopardy. Spend a couple of minutes running off in search of a health potion if you feel like you might die. Getting better often involves an understanding that one good death is worth more than 5 bad kills, so keep obsessing about KDA above all else.

This list is surely just the tip of the iceberg. Please help develop this guide by replying with your own steps. I'm positive if we all work together, we can compile the ultimate guide on how to never get better at PvP![/QUOT You forgot a very important one. Just sit at the camp fire helps you to keep your shoes clean.
  • Options
    azuosed89azuosed89 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    forgot the, if there is a healer that stays at two, make sure you zerg there with the entire team and stays at two for no deaths! you will probably lose the match doing that, but well. seem pugs doing that before, it is an effective way to not get good at pvp lol
    Gannicus GWF PvP
    DENIAL
  • Options
    shoukonsshoukons Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    - Never learn from your mistakes.
    If it hasn't worked the last 45 times, keep trying it to see if it will on try 46 since it might!

- Don't ever learn which set of gear works with which set of your skills/playstyle you want to use.
    A GF walks over to the PvP vendor after farming all the tokens and glory he/she can. "What's this?!" the GF says to the HR next to him Aim Shotting the training dummy and thinking he's going to be 1 shotting people in PvP. "There's Conqueror, Tactician and Preserver gear? What is this for?!" The GF scrolls through the gear, looking at the different stats on it. The GF, in his mind, knows that he wants to be a DPSer, so he picks the Preserver gear (with all that regen and no power!) because "P" is for "Pro".'

-Complain about (Insert Class aka mostly rogues) on the forums for nerfs.
    Nerf the rogues so I lose less! It won't happen since the game is already predetermined for xbox.

-Reroll a rogue since you're getting pounded on.
    If I'm a rogue I will be #1 always on the LB! You'll just be a sub par rogue instead of a sub par other class.

-Use known exploits in the game
    The player above rerolled a rogue since they thought they would be #1 all the time...yet they weren't. They go through the forums and learns about the rogue exploit and try it out just to learn that they're still bad and don't win games...but their KD is so dope!
    Node Troll
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Always Stay on your mount like a sitting duck when Capping a node especially when there are multiple Tr around and also if your team is fighting all around also you may be able to observe better by not joining combat from on top of your mount.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ye gods, I am a pure pve player from the pc forums, but the name of the thread lured me in for a potential good chuckle and I got it :D Are there really players like this? I never pvp, not even for dailies but even in pve, there can be excellent reasons for swapping out powers mid combat.
  • Options
    lemonknuckleslemonknuckles Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2015
    Focus the Tanks!

Ever notice how those annoying tanks always want to get up close and personal? Reward them by focusing your fire on them. Don't worry about those DPSers busy melting your HP from the safety of the 2nd rank
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Focus the Tanks!

Ever notice how those annoying tanks always want to get up close and personal? Reward them by focusing your fire on them. Don't worry about those DPSers busy melting your HP from the safety of the 2nd rank

YessssssssssSSSSssssSssSSsssssSSSsSsSssssSsSsssssss. Keep doing this.
    Node Troll
  • Options
    koloblikolobli Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Whenever you have a healer who's been consecutively helping you cap nodes make sure to quickly outrun him on your 110% mount directly into a 4 of the opposing team.

This way no matter how much they've specced for healing, you're sure to die a grisly death and leave them with no means to damage the enemy!
  • Options
    cummins12vcummins12v Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Are there really players like this? .

No, not really. Maybe enough to count on one or two hands(?) it's good for a chuckle though.
  • Options
    rebellionstuffrebellionstuff Member Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2015
    and always go against premades that was way overgeared compared to you. try to take on as many of them as possible completely ignoring all the nodes.
  • Options
    alisi1alisi1 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If I cared enough to even do the dailies, this would undoubtedly be my style. ;)
  • Options
    thezer0fluxthezer0flux Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    YES!! I'm on the right track. I'm remain mediocre at PvP forever!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    ALWAYS talk <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to EVERYONE on your team and EVERYONE on the opposing team to make sure you never have anyone to que up with. I heard each time you say something mean it gives you +10 gear score and every 1000 times you say something you get a random Rank 10.

Don't listen to call outs made by the person leading your team, keep fighting in the 3v1 because you're competing against your 2 other friends for that 1 kill instead of winning the game by helping protect/get a node. 100 points with a dope K/D Ration > 300 points with a dope W/L Ratio.
    Node Troll
  • Options
    marquisjbmarquisjb Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    "1. Only PvP for the dailies." .....even better

Do you want to experience the best, worst PvP experience that you could ever imagine?? If so, solo que for Arena PvP during the Bonus PvP events.

You will experience everything that the OP is talking about 10fold...
  • Options
    xxxsfalxxxxxxsfalxxx Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    You're oh so very correct. Part of this though is that PvP is for now two maps on KotH without much more going for it than getting more PvP gear (to do more PvP more better). So if you aren't all that up for PvP and don't find KotH twomaps all that wonderful, you have The Artifact. And AD. That's all most of us see PvP as. A fairly pointless hour for AD etc. Now, if PvP was more fully fleshed out, maybe more would care about doing all you need to do to win; have a team. A team set for PvP with PvP gear specced for PvP. A specific character and guild just for PvP. Not all of us are interested in that investment, it cuts into our adventuring time. :) For two maps on one game type? Because no matter how a PvE player is specced, or how well they play their class, 1v1 on two permainvised TR + smoke, with HR CW DC along... And on our team, all the rest of the randoms dead, or at other points, or sitting in the campfire. As you PvP players camp the spawn point in your sense of honor and fairness. ;) So your advice is correct and true, but maybe that's assuming all of us want to gear up for PvP and find a team to do so. I mean, PvP is okay, but for me to do it for even an hour anymore requires the Lord Protector to offer me more AD. I'd rather spend the time in professions and inventory tbh. Or getting dragon coins and coffers. Etc. Yes, sometimes PvP is fun, mostly it's not. It's like if your team has the key player drop out and two more disconnecting all the time, maybe you wouldn't be so happy either 2v5.

Anyway, short of a more full PvP experience they don't have, they need something like a hardcore queue and a casual queue. Then you wouldn't have to put up with us PvE-specced whiners that just really want their one win in their four matches. :D
  • Options
    agent00spliffagent00spliff Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    ^If you're doing pvp for the AD you're doing it wrong. In the time it takes for you to complete those 4 or more matches you could have finished multiple PK, Lostmauth or Shores runs and generated a lot more AD along with not having held your team back by showing up in bad gear with a poor attitude.
    Dolores Haze - CW
    Lykopis - GWF
    Goon Squad

Embrace the cashgrab
  • Options
    xxxsfalxxxxxxsfalxxx Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    RIght, unless you've already done all the other things and there's a bonus amount of AD, not a great deal. During lord protectors and with the daily win, another story that's like 12K AD. Around half a day rough ad. After all, it's not always free key or extra 1k chest time in dungeon/skirmish and maybe you've already gotten the dragons and/or you want a break. But I don't hold back the other randoms. Well not always. If they're all the other 3-4 really good, maybe ride their coattails (thanks other players!) a bit, but depending on the other randoms, might contribute a lot. Depends on who ends up in the group, that I have about 0 control over. Not a bad attitude l play to win (and only give up if we have 15 points and are being spawncamped) and my gear is okay (some of it is even profound pvp stuff). Even if not fully specced me or gear for PvP, it's still fun most of the time, just not when it's 5 pvp specced pvp players against 5 pve players pve specced. Whatever. The point is not everyone is willing to put in 115%, but don't give us 85%ers a difficult time please. :)
  • Options
    respectpaysrespectpays Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    gota be that guy that trys to stun or daz a immune target lets see if it works now he might have killed me 20x but im sure it'll work this time
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Constantly and only play 5 TR comps while consistently losing with said 5 TR comp.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MmZdUJj0EFg
    Node Troll