test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Garakas designed to be anti-tank, or do I just suck against him

cactusjacktercactusjackter Member Posts: 287 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PvE Discussion
I've dropped more times against this guy than any other enemy, including dragons, put together. He does something where, even if I have guard up, he reduces me to a pile on the floor in less than 2 seconds.

I may not be set up ideally, but with 4,300 defence, 1,000 deflect and 1,000 lifesteal I'd like to think I should be able to last longer against him. Like I said, other enemies really aren't a problem - the only other enemy in the game that can drop me this quick are the electric dragons when they concentrate half their lightning bolts on my head.

Any advice?
Post edited by cactusjackter on

Comments

• silktrocitysilktrocity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It took me awhile to figure out what was going on, It's his throwing knife attack. It's usually a 1 hit kill for most classes. It happens directly after his fire breath attack, I don't know about other classes but as a cleric I can dodge through the throwing knifes and won't take damage wether they hit me or not. It's all about timing (or probably blocking in your case?)
    Lady Vayo TR - Silky OP - Lord Reven DC (retired) - Lady Luck HR (retired)
  • ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm playing on PC, so correct me if I'm wrong - you got mod 5 on xbox? If yes, then it shouldn't be a problem to tank it, just tace care of knives. Remember that ALL part members should be close to Garakas. Then he is not spawning red fire areas. If still problem - don't kill those 2 dragons. When both are killed, Garakas' dmg is strongly increased.

In mod 6 he is one shoting everyone, then some tactics are needed (if you are not BiS). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDOv1sVIZo8 Playing protector is way easier here. Anyway. Hope I helped you a bit.
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• cactusjacktercactusjackter Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ah, it's very probably the dragon thing, then - killing them seems to be everyone's number 1 priority on the Xbox.

Cheers.
  • kestrelhawkerkestrelhawker Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I watched 2 guardian fighters take him down ... the rest of the party wiped ... and they took him down like a couple of champs .
  • zizoomzizoom Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What parangon are you using ? Hybryd tanking or Tactician ?

I found the tactician one being more easy to handle as your Daily comes up faster.

Don't forget to put shield mastery passive and the one that reflects damage when you absorb a hit with your shield.

- Tank Garakas
    - When he raises is hand just hit him with cleave or bash him with your Tide to regen your stamina to its max.
    - When he is about to make his firebreath just move on a side then instantly raise your shield and wait for him to throw his knife.
    - And so on ...
    - if you need some life back wait for him to make his firebreath, then go on a side, launch fighters recovery, raise your shidl and absorb it's knife. You'll get a bunch of HP back due to the high reflected damage, then use some encounters. And back to tanking.
  • strictlyevilstrictlyevil Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've taken him down in epic with just my CW and a Cleric. It's easy to predict and dodge his knife as it takes about .5 seconds to actually hit once he starts the animation and he will always shoot it in the direction you were in when the animation started. Simply strafing in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction after each of his fire attacks basically guarantees you don't get hit by it as long as you keep walking until he's used it. Once you learn that it becomes a very easy fight. The time that his aim is locked for where he will use it and when he actually uses it is enough for you to simply walk around him by about 90 degrees completely avoiding the attack.

Just wait for and dodge his knife attack, as soon as you dodge it. Hit him with your taunts or dps encounters and repeat until he's dead.
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cactusjacktercactusjackter Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm beginning to think there's a bug here.

I've run this a number of times with no problems at all now, but very occasionally Garakas will simply one-shot me through my guard - using the same moves I can usually shrug off with no problems.

For example, when enraged his knife attack takes out 75% of my HP if I'm not guarding, and that seems to be his most powerful attack. But today I ran up to him and immediately died while the dragons were still alive.
  • zizoomzizoom Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Was your guard fully filled ? If not this could be the problem, one single hit can take 33% max of your stamina (guard bar), but if your stamina is below that 33% it will break your guard and you'll get a great amount of damage based on how much guard you had left.

A single Knife if not deflected deals something around 80k damage or more ... so it can one shoot you if your guard is broken :(