test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Report spam?

undulationsundulations Member Posts: 40 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Does it do anything beyond blocking the spammer?
Post edited by undulations on

Comments

• Options
    zephyrpillar1zephyrpillar1 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    not at all
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Does it do anything beyond blocking the spammer?

If enough people do it within a certain timeframe the spammer is silenced.
  • Options
    eldarshadow1986eldarshadow1986 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    nothing will ever get done about it, the bloody gold spammers will just make new accounts and do it all over again, the sites that do the gold selling and such need to be shut down and people who buy from them need to be perma banned
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Actually, it can be easily done. There are other f2p mmos which managed to do it without gm's sitting 24/7 on the chats. Basically they need to give us an option to block msg from players who are below specific lvl range. Most bots use low lvl characters so once they're put on ignore it will take them some time to lvl up to 40 just to send few msg and get ignored again.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015

...which, however, only means that instead of Luusi Goldspammer the same messages now come from Thud Cheapdeal....
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015

This is accurate. While it seems fruitless it is better to report spam this way. You can at least take comfort that it does in some way annoy the annoying gold spammers more so than not reporting them.

And no there's no easy solution. Easier (not easy) solutions typically involve hurting new players.

Just because other companies have LESS bots that does not mean it is easy. It more than likely means it is really expensive to hire more staff than Cryptic already has just to deal with them.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This is accurate. While it seems fruitless it is better to report spam this way. You can at least take comfort that it does in some way annoy the annoying gold spammers more so than not reporting them.

And no there's no easy solution. Easier (not easy) solutions typically involve hurting new players.

Just because other companies have LESS bots that does not mean it is easy. It more than likely means it is really expensive to hire more staff than Cryptic already has just to deal with them.

Optional options doesnt hurt new players, since players can choose whether they want to use this option or not. Are you implying that all those bots and 3rd sites (which can get some keyloggers or viruses for those players) hurt new players less than soft optional ignore function for low lvl character?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    I am not referring to anything optional.

I am talking about limitations to new accounts. For instance right now characters can only use Zone Chat after they reach level 15 if I recall correctly and of course there are limits on the Ah if the account does not have at least one level 60 character.

Two limitations which exist for the sole purpose of fighting bots and the spam but impede new legitimate players. Both of them highly complained about because new players feel like those two limits prevent them from being able to play, enjoy or learn the game.

Those would be "easy" ways to combat bots and spam. Harder ways involve hiring a ton of employees to monitor chat or creating and maintaining automated features which are bound to be little faster than player reports since, as was pointed out, bots can easily create new accounts to spam.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    [...]
    [...]

...errm. Yeah.

Couldn't that principle have made it into certain people's mind beore they took to the Dragon's Hoard drop rate??? :^"

Not meant personally, ambisinisterr, but... ...just sayin'.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ... and what does a 24h chat ban matter to a bot, that is dumped right after the first spam?

They level up through skirmishes in Blacklake until they hit level 15. Go ahead, and check it out for yourself, just walk a few steps into Blacklake and feast your eyes on the bots leveling up spot right in front of you.
    Then they move to PE, do their spam, and log out.
    Rinse and repeat.

In other words, report spam is pointless.
    The level restriction is also pointless.
    There is no real tool to fight against the goldseller spam at the moment.

As mentioned many times before, just give us an editable spam filter.
    You can use the profanity filter as base, that is allready ingame, and just make it editable for us.
    Any message matching the filter rules, will be filtered into another chat window.
    That should take care of the goldseller spam and silence a lot of trolls also.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    snip

Just because the developers want to avoid hurting the legitimate player base doesn't mean they won't if put into a situation where they have to make a hard decision.

Frankly I am still not happy with the refine rates and I don't feel that double RP weekends make up for how the system is currently. But with the system as it is you can't have bots gain too much of any item otherwise it ends up hurting the player base just as much.

The first two examples were not limitations that were in place at launch. They were put in later on knowing that despite it hurting the legitimate players it would hurt many more bots and throw away accounts. They are lesser evils. And while it doesn't solve the situation it does improve it.

Jus as report spam does improve the situation as well. They are more akin to bugs than a hydra. If you continue to squish them they will be kept under control. The only way to let them get out of control is by ignoring the problem.
    regenerde wrote: »
    ... and what does a 24h chat ban matter to a bot, that is dumped right after the first spam?
    It's not a 24 hour mute, it's a ban. By the time the mute expires they will be banned.
    The more time spent getting level 15 the less time spamming and the more annoying it is for the bot creators. Doesn't matter that they are botting, they want their bots spamming and not botting accounts to level 15. While it might not be them doing the work it does effect their bottom line.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Is there a limit on ignore list? because it seems that mine isnt getting bigger despite reporting 15+ gold spammers per day...
  • Options
    rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I got chat banned for 24 hours twice personally, it does work if enough people report it. It also saves the content of the mssage (if you're reapeating the same one over and over), and once your ban is done, you have like a week trial, and if you send the very same sentence again into zone you get instantly banned again. I've learned since :P
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    Is there a limit on ignore list? because it seems that mine isnt getting bigger despite reporting 15+ gold spammers per day...

I am not sure. I personally hate having a huge ignore list so I occasionally clean mine out.
    However my experience with chat systems would lead me to believe these is a maximum.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    What about creating new HUB (City) which you can enter only at lvl70? It could be even a copy of current PE but without shared chat. Those who want to recruit new players could still enter the orginal PE. There's also guild finder, so it wouldnt hurt new players, and they can access AH from anywhere.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It's just a guess, but i doubt that goldseller care that much about accounts they can replace in the hundreds every day.
    They get their message through into the chat, after that, they start another fresh account.
    Besides, it wouldn't surprise me, if a ban only works as long as the character is still around... spam the message in the PE zone chat, then delete the character, and restart a new one for farming purpose.

It is pretty much obvious, that they use accounts only for a single spam round and then get the next one into the city. At some times, you get the same goldseller message from different accounts every **** minute.

And as mentioned above, go look for yourself in Blacklake after their bot leveling up spot.
    And if you want to find the bot farming spot, go to Neverdeath Graveyard, Ghost Stories instance entry, it's right there in front of you.
    They are not even hiding it.
    And just another guess, but they use Ghost Stories only until they reach level 70 with that character, and then move on to Sharandar for the Arcane Reservoir.

About the ignore list, if it has a limit... i don't care. If at some point i get a message, that it can't take any more ignores... that would be the point for me to move on.
    I cleaned the ignore list out one time after several weeks, and i had thousands of goldseller bots in there... yes, i counted them once, but not going to do another round of cleaning and wasting my game time for problems, the Devs of this game should take care of.

And you said it yourself, ignoring a problem doesn't makes it go away... now please try to get that message through to the Devs about goldseller spam.
    Thank you.
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    alisi1alisi1 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I believe wow handled it quite easily by using ip bans.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    powering down modem
    powering up modem
    new random IP

It is not that easy.
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Then how were they doing it? I don't remember there being a huge spam issue. Surely they didn't have people just sitting there all day banning spammers.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I did a little looking and found out that companies actually make add-ons specifically designed to catch key words in whispers, filter them out from being displayed to the player, make a GM ticket and send it automatically.
    I know we don't have add-ons, but surely they could implement a player defined word filter?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    As mentioned before, there is already a working filter in place, the profanity filter.
    All they have to do is upgrade that filter, so that players can add their own keywords to it.
    If a message has certain keywords in it, it would be not displayed in the regular chat channels, but only in a separated one.
    Enable that "spam channel" in another window, and check it from time to time, to see if the filter is working, or if you have to change some keywords.

And yes, in WARHAMMER ONLINE they had the problem with goldseller spam too, but players came up with an addon to remove the spam from the main channels and report the spammer right away.
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Imo the biggest problem is that whole community uses PE as main HUB, because it's the only place where you can visit specific NPC and on top of that it can be entered by new characters. This makes it easier for spamming bots to reach most population with very little effort.

I dont understand why we cant edit our chat options to display msg only from players above specific lvl. For example. LFG chat. Why would i want to see msg from players below lvl70 in LFG when im lvl70? Im not asking for enforced lvl requirements but only an option to filter more text.

Please copy all the important npc from PE to other zones (high lvl zones, campaign etc). Build up Luskan city and make min lvl70 to enter it. D&D have quite a lot cool cities, and we can visit only PE :(
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yesterday, ventured into PE and I forgot to toggle my settings to invisible. It only took a couple of seconds before two chinese farmer bots pm-ed me the URL of their phishing site. My fault. In a hostile environment you should be always alert.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes, you have to keep your guard (be invisible) up, before you enter PE.
    But you have to change it again, when you want someone else to invite you to their group... and that makes no sense at all.
    Why can't i be running around with the "visible to friends only" setting, but still get invites to groups for lets say dailies too?
    Shouldn't that setting only prevent me from showing up in the /who search?
    Want to know why?