test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Really Enjoying my Hunter Ranger

waffennachtwaffennacht Member Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2015 in The Wilds
I gotta admit, when I first started I thought Hunter Rangers were horrid. Running into them during pvp they just fell apart. The army of Legolas jokes cracked me up. Even posted how no one complains about hr characters.
Then I ran into some trappers, after being slain from a distance, after desperate unavailing escapes, I figured I'd give it a shot.
I read a few posts here, got a good idea of what the build should be, and set off.
Im now level 60 with a decent gear score and im having a blast.
The 6 encounters means im not just holding down a trigger half the time. Im constantly involved in the battle. My play style has always been jump into the middle and kill everything. Hr allows me to play that way well.
A dodge ability, and fox shift give you the choice of for-going defense to focus on going all out damage. So many dragons have fallen to my blade/arrow with barely leaving a scratch. Hordes of minions halted mid stride thanks to my tentacle looking roots.
As for being underestimated im quite happy with that, in pvp (just like I) the Hr can be a devastating surprise. In dungeons the Hr can keep their head high among the gwf and gf for survival and stand with the tr and wr with dps.
I guess im trying to say: I really enjoy my Hunter Ranger
Post edited by waffennacht on

Comments

• shazza53shazza53 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm with you! Very surprised at how much I am enjoying my Trapper Ranger. I am trying to Level each class, so didn't think seriously about it and named my character "Jegolas" ( all my toons start with "J"). Now that it is my fave character, I may have to shell out for a serious name :). Being at or near the top of the DPS board* is quite a change from playing my Cleric and Tank.

*obviousy this is in average runs - mostly Pirates and the CTA. Still get outdone by talented folks.
  • katozeekatozee Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2015
    shazza53 wrote: »
    Still get outdone by talented folks.

I can perhaps help you with that part.
  • shazza53shazza53 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    katozee wrote: »
    I can perhaps help you with that part.

Thank you, katozee! I will hit you up if I have any specific questions. Since I have only been Level 60 for 2 days, I can't complain. I've been on top the DPS charts for most of my Pirate's runs and the CTA. When I'm not, it's usually a CW, a TR, or another HR who I can tell are really experienced. I'm also trying to play a team support role, and not run ahead like crazy (but that's so hard not to do!).

I used your Guide and found it so helpful. Also enjoyed the discussions I have read between you and j0kerpsycho. Thanks for giving back to the community - your Guide is going to help remove the stigma of being weak as a Hunter Ranger.
  • katozeekatozee Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2015
    Those who take the time to write guides should also take the time to discuss notions/concepts amongst each other as well. Whilst the stigma is starting to decrease from what i've noticed we still tend to get auto kicked. Hopefully when whatever changes are being made to the kicking system are implemented. People will be forced to play with a few more trappers and see what a ranger can be capable of. Though admitidly there are still a large number of archers out there so the stigma may worsen as well.

With regards to team support role, we are on minion duty and the faster you can wipe them out the more helpful to the team you will be. I leave on Aspect of the Pack and use a Greater Plague Fire knowing that in doing so I am helping the team more than myself. But also get used to a playstyle of knowing how much health your roots can take out. So for instance in PK when I see something 1/4 health I will root and go.

I was called out on it by a group once, I explained to them if you see me moving on its because in my eyes that target is already dead. Told them if they see that happen again to just stop attacking and watch what happens. A lot of people are still unaware about the concept that our damage comes from our roots and they are more than a match for most mobs. Even for groups that want to run the last part of pk I will root as I go so when we get to the end the amount there is quickly killed. I personally hate running that part and prefer to kill everything.
  • kestrelhawkerkestrelhawker Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    WE need to keep the Secret !!!!
    LOL
    No more Rangers .. just us OKAY!?
    Dont tell anyone else =P
  • birdisthemanbirdistheman Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I do the same thing Kato
    If their health drops below 1/2 on first hit, I know they are going to die, so I jump to the next group
    I'll stay if the next group is a ways away, just to finish off the rotation and get my stacks
  • waffennachtwaffennacht Member Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2015
    You guys mentioned strategy, im like not very of aware of strategy for my Hr, i just go into the middle and try to kill everything
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    katozee wrote: »
    Those who take the time to write guides should also take the time to discuss notions/concepts amongst each other as well. Whilst the stigma is starting to decrease from what i've noticed we still tend to get auto kicked. Hopefully when whatever changes are being made to the kicking system are implemented. People will be forced to play with a few more trappers and see what a ranger can be capable of. Though admitidly there are still a large number of archers out there so the stigma may worsen as well.

With regards to team support role, we are on minion duty and the faster you can wipe them out the more helpful to the team you will be. I leave on Aspect of the Pack and use a Greater Plague Fire knowing that in doing so I am helping the team more than myself. But also get used to a playstyle of knowing how much health your roots can take out. So for instance in PK when I see something 1/4 health I will root and go.

I was called out on it by a group once, I explained to them if you see me moving on its because in my eyes that target is already dead. Told them if they see that happen again to just stop attacking and watch what happens. A lot of people are still unaware about the concept that our damage comes from our roots and they are more than a match for most mobs. Even for groups that want to run the last part of pk I will root as I go so when we get to the end the amount there is quickly killed. I personally hate running that part and prefer to kill everything.

I quoted you/your build in a Gamefaq`s post I made about my HR build Katozee... Mine is slightly different than yours, there were a couple of things I disagreed with but you have a really good build there. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for others. Its good to see people like you helping out and trying to improve peoples builds :)
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe