test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best high damage build for PvE

nerosolisnerosolis Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Thieves' Den
So I'm wondering what is the best way to get the highest damage output on a TR in PvE. Not doing perma stealth currently and stacking mostly power and ArP since I'm getting most of my damage from getting the lashing blade reset. I'm not sure if I should rebuild my guy after the mod6 crit restructure since stealthed LB is 100% crit anyways.

I just want the biggest booms and most damage I can get in Mod6.
Post edited by nerosolis on

Comments

• Options
    blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hi nerosolis,

im a GWF main, however I've seen a number of TRs now and im very familiar with the class.
    The best performing TRs have been Executioners. Sadly even on Legendaries and Mythics they are far behind other strikers.
    I mean GWF is about 2x the damage range of a TR. Even if you have a good build, lostmauth set etc. SWs outperform you too, I have seen some TRs outdps CWs, but keep in mind CWs also offer control and if renegade build, very strong party buffs.
    What im trying to say is: What does the TR bring to the party?
    GWFs are tankier and can take melee hits the TR can't. If the TR slots Smokebomb to support the group he is just like a half naked CW, less control, no buffs and less damage.
    Most of the good TRs out there are PvP players and thats were the Trickster Rogue excels much more than in PvE. I actually rank TR lowest (8th place) out of all classes for PvE. I do hope that somebody might find a super strong build, but I highly doubt it.
    Good Luck & Have Fun anyways.

BlackyLuke
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Agree with the above. In PvP TR can do some nice burst due to piercing dmg, but in PvE you wont be able to keep it all the time and other classes will do more dmg. Your only survivality is ITC which you can only use once in a while. On top of these issues you also have to take in to account that most bosses is not melee friendly. There's a lot more things to dodge in melee range than in range which additionaly can ruin your dps.

Exe does great dmg to targets with low HP (under 30%) other than that it's pretty bad.
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    TR has such high survivability you don't actually need ITC at all in PvE, you're better off with another damaging encounter. Stealth is the key that makes TR so great both offensively and defensively.

OP has got the right idea in making use of the 100% crit from stealth. Unless you're fighting a single target boss, I wouldn't use LB since it's hits single target, most other encounters hits multiple targets and damage isn't far behind lashing blade. High damage build isn't just 1 shot, but think how to get the highest overall damage.

Try and find ways to get your stealth back, that's 1 key to good dps especially if you have Lostmauth set.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jaotut wrote: »
    TR has such high survivability you don't actually need ITC at all in PvE, you're better off with another damaging encounter. Stealth is the key that makes TR so great both offensively and defensively.

OP has got the right idea in making use of the 100% crit from stealth. Unless you're fighting a single target boss, I wouldn't use LB since it's hits single target, most other encounters hits multiple targets and damage isn't far behind lashing blade. High damage build isn't just 1 shot, but think how to get the highest overall damage.

Try and find ways to get your stealth back, that's 1 key to good dps especially if you have Lostmauth set.

Stealth itself doesnt give you any survivality, and what other survivality you got lol? Let say at Valindra she often places an aoe near herself if you dont move you die, while range can stay at range and keep nuking without dps lose.
  • Options
    mirrorballsmirrorballs Member Posts: 877 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    Stealth itself doesnt give you any survivality, and what other survivality you got lol? Let say at Valindra she often places an aoe near herself if you dont move you die, while range can stay at range and keep nuking without dps lose.

In the end, it's that "moving and not dying -- i.e. 'not making mistakes' " that separates a good TR from a bad one. You don't really need ITC in most cases.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Wow really? Stealth doesn't give you any survivability? The fact that I can aggro a bunch of mobs, stealth and stand next to them for as long as I want isn't enough? Sure there are some bosses that can throw an aoe at you while you're stealthed, but everyone has to move out of that anyway, and TRs can still attack from range and have so many gap closing options.

Perhaps you should save your 'lol' as I don't know if you're trying to be a smartass and mock me, or just not very good at playing a TR and genuinely asking a question. If it's the latter, then here's a tip. Dailies like Bloodbath and Courage Breaker are great ways of getting out of sticky situations, you're immune during the duration of these dailies.

TR in generally is the easiest class to play, with so many different viable builds that can do great. The fact that a TR can EASILY do all the new mod 6 lvl 60-70 levelling content while wearing lvl60 gear the whole time, just shows how much survivability this class has. The only times you'll die is if you lag and run out of stealth, or didn't press Tab or dodge fast enough when you have aggro, or simply like standing in red circles. And again, ITC is not needed this whole time unless you think standing in red circles is cool.

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Wow really? Stealth doesn't give you any survivability? The fact that I can aggro a bunch of mobs, stealth and stand next to them for as long as I want isn't enough? Sure there are some bosses that can throw an aoe at you while you're stealthed, but everyone has to move out of that anyway, and TRs can still attack from range and have so many gap closing options.

Perhaps you should save your 'lol' as I don't know if you're trying to be a smartass and mock me, or just not very good at playing a TR and genuinely asking a question. If it's the latter, then here's a tip. Dailies like Bloodbath and Courage Breaker are great ways of getting out of sticky situations, you're immune during the duration of these dailies.

TR in generally is the easiest class to play, with so many different viable builds that can do great. The fact that a TR can EASILY do all the new mod 6 lvl 60-70 levelling content while wearing lvl60 gear the whole time, just shows how much survivability this class has. The only times you'll die is if you lag and run out of stealth, or didn't press Tab or dodge fast enough when you have aggro, or simply like standing in red circles. And again, ITC is not needed this whole time unless you think standing in red circles is cool.

Hahaha, NO. Most mobs from campaign zones will cast various aoe or channelled ST attacks even if you're stealthed.

Also i was refering to 1600+ dungeons and skirmishes which have plenty of AoE that can easily kill you. You are not going to spam dailies like encounters since they fixed the DC AP bug and these dailies last only for few sec while boss fight last for at least 3min+ for most of the groups.

I never said that TR cannot doddge aoes. I said that game favor ranged specs as there's a lot less aoes and you dont lose as much dps. Even if you dodge the aoe on Valindra you still have to wait for it to worn off before you can get in melee and do any decent dps again. You can dodge the aoe from drakes in Tuern skirmish but then again you gonna lose dps while ranged specs risk less and do more dps on top of that.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    -snip-

Oh you're still doing T1s, well you've got a lot to learn then, because I'm talking about T2s 2000+. T1s are so easy it doesn't matter what class you bring. If you're dying so much, then you need to change your playstyle.

When you get to T2s, you'll start to learn range dps have a very tough time. If they accidentally pulled aggro too fast, they'll die in 2 shots from mobs. Try it with a CW or HR to be the first to cast an AoE on a pull lol. Don't worry you'll get to the higher tier dungeons soon and realised it's the TR that's picking the other dps classes up.

BTW, I am close to spamming dailies like encounters, but the problem is that the cooldown for my encounters recharge so fast that I can't spam more dailies than encounters. I can have a daily up and use it whenever there's a sticky situation. While the whole party is dodging, I'm doing a ton of damage with my dailies, and once that's over, I can continue to attack like normal. It's all about timing, but it's really not difficult.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Oh you're still doing T1s, well you've got a lot to learn then, because I'm talking about T2s 2000+. T1s are so easy it doesn't matter what class you bring. If you're dying so much, then you need to change your playstyle.

When you get to T2s, you'll start to learn range dps have a very tough time. If they accidentally pulled aggro too fast, they'll die in 2 shots from mobs. Try it with a CW or HR to be the first to cast an AoE on a pull lol. Don't worry you'll get to the higher tier dungeons soon and realised it's the TR that's picking the other dps classes up.

BTW, I am close to spamming dailies like encounters, but the problem is that the cooldown for my encounters recharge so fast that I can't spam more dailies than encounters. I can have a daily up and use it whenever there's a sticky situation. While the whole party is dodging, I'm doing a ton of damage with my dailies, and once that's over, I can continue to attack like normal. It's all about timing, but it's really not difficult.

I have 2 characters above 2k and done some T2. I used T1 only as example. T2 is even worse, because mobs deal a lot more dmg. Ranged still have it a lot easier, because CW can drop hard CC from range, they got shield and a dodge blink as well. TR needs to get in melee for both, smoke bombs and dazle. I've run several T2 with geared CW that could solo most adds with the dazling daily that affect really huge area and then followed with frezing spells. There's really nothing harder for ranged specs.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have 2 characters above 2k and done some T2. I used T1 only as example. T2 is even worse, because mobs deal a lot more dmg. Ranged still have it a lot easier, because CW can drop hard CC from range, they got shield and a dodge blink as well. TR needs to get in melee for both, smoke bombs and dazle. I've run several T2 with geared CW that could solo most adds with the dazling daily that affect really huge area and then followed with frezing spells. There's really nothing harder for ranged specs.

And yet, my TR has no problem at all getting into the battle in ALL T2s and always dealing more damage than CWs (a lot of them are BiS or close to it). Not trying to say CWs aren't useful, because they are one of the most useful class, but just like TRs, you don't HAVE to have one, but it'd be nice to, so rainbow parties are always good to run with to try and get something good from different classes.

If you think TR has problems surviving and not being able to deal enough damage, it's just a L2P issue. Good TRs will have absolutely no problem and the least amount of deaths in ANY T2 runs, this is not something I observed and THINK it's happening, it's all experience from running a bunch of T2s with combatlog.

• Options
    upinyaslayinupinyaslayin Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm not an expert on the game by any means, but i'll share my build (i'll post it later when i have access to screenshot it) but damage wise, even though i have like 2k less gear score then all my friends, I'll usually beat out all them with the exception of one friend with a fully staked 15k gear score hunter (I'm a gear score 12.5k) For dungeons i run dazing strike, Path of blades, smoke bomb encounters, WOB and courage breaker dailys, cloud of steal and duelist flurry at wills, and class features tactics and II) i cloak, hit dazing strike 1st (which can hit multiple targets if cloaked, activate POB then drop a smoke and use DF until my steal recharges and repeat. on bosses i switch out POB with LB and cloak, use LB then DS then drop smoke and DF until cloak returns and repeat.
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I know of ONE TR who can out dps's most CWs and SWs that he runs with, I will not give his name. His iLvl is under 3k and his armor is all blue, but his power is just below 15k. If I remember correctly he just got his Lostmauth set finished, but he was out dpsing before then.

He is an MI/Exec... which to me is the closest to a Ninja a TR can get. He is not a perma, either.

One day I will ask him to jot his build down in a message to me. Th funniest thing is... I found out he only started plying at the same time I did. This is the one build that may make me turn to MI.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    I am an executioner TR, master inflictrator with a DPS build for pve. I'm tankier than a SW and can out damage most other players, dodge used well and high deflection mean I can hold my own in most situations. The only place i really struggle is pvp and then its only when im mobbed or against a tanky dps (CW are evil sometimes :P )

TR's can be better for pve but it all depends how you build them. I am not a perma stealth rogue build, I only use stealth to maximize my damage output. The perma stealth build many use to own in pvp is pretty naff for pve, they don't deal any special amount of damage and are too squishy to be useful in most dungeon runs.

DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• Options
    MI Exec is a good choice... second I would say is MI Sab and Wk Sab... not perma built... for PvE.

The Sab build uses the encounters to refill your Stealth meter. Allowing to deal more damage. That being said... if you do get hit it will pause your stealth gain.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    wilswilswilswils Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    This is pretty crucial for AoE DPS. I have Whirlwind of blades every minute pretty much. Wich allows me to get above 30k power. The smoke bomb from stealth is ticking for 30-40k.

Action point gain is the KEY!
    My Saboteur TR
    Lord Killington, enough said.
  • Options
    wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    PvE TRs are just fine, only gwf can deal more damage than them and they have powerful initial control. I wish Shadow of Demise was brought to mod 5 state if it comes to PvE with all its bugs fixed. The problem is that PvE TR works only in PvE, you gonna die just like any other PvE toon in PvP and most TRs try to mix builds to be effective in both modes which leads to them being meh in PvE.
  • Options
    blag001blag001 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    Train your fingers...
    Hit 'n' run...
    c-c-c-c-c-ombo breaker!
    Kill them all...

I'm a suicidal TR. :)

• Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I have 2 characters above 2k and done some T2.

Yet you are struggling with a TR and he isn't having a problem. Seems the issue is you, not the TR.

• Options
    hedgebethedgebet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 447 Arc User
    wentris wrote: »
    PvE TRs are just fine, only gwf can deal more damage than them and they have powerful initial control. I wish Shadow of Demise was brought to mod 5 state if it comes to PvE with all its bugs fixed. The problem is that PvE TR works only in PvE, you gonna die just like any other PvE toon in PvP and most TRs try to mix builds to be effective in both modes which leads to them being meh in PvE.

I did play around with a mix build TR and learned this lesson. While fun and playable in both it was overall 'meh' as you indicated.

I recently switched one of my TR to an MI exe and the damage is certainly improved but as you indicated the gwf will devastate the TR in damage (overall, burst, single target, AE, ranged (yes -- intermediate anyways), you name it). My lower IL gwf can easily do 50% to 100% more damage than my TR and that is playing in a fun build with silly/fun feats and using lathanders set where my TR has lostmauth (and also a slaad pet). My TR has 46% crit and my gwf 26% crit and the at wills from my GWF can approach 500k range where my TR it is rare to see a 100k from a daily or encounter. I think this has more to do with the GWF getting a bit overbuffed than the TR, though, because my TR feels about right compared with other striker classes.
  • Options
    Well the TR, especially the Exec and Scoundrel tress have been shaken so hard all of the fruit dropped off. Meaning this... they NEED to be fixed or end up back like they were in M2, I think it was that mod. I was told that if you were a TR you were never allowed in parties to run anything.

We are not far from there, despite everyone thinking that we are MASSIVELY OP. People that think that are concerned about one thing... the Paingiver and Executioner numbers and rankings... as well as their K/D ratio in PvP. They do not like the competition being better than they are.

I have yet to play my Scoundrel build with a group... though I have heard that kweasa does well with his build.
    ​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    To be honest, most people must learn their class in PvE.
    Yes if we compare classes against each other the TR is most likely on Rank 2-3 but this doesn't mean he is bad in DPS. He offers small controll and a good deal of single target damage. There is nothing that need to be "fixed".
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    I know certain players, who get angry if someone beats them in Paingiver and Executioner. Granted they never come out and say it to that person, but the anger is there.

Many people have a certain expectation for their class and their build. They choose their class because it can deal more damage, heal better or look cooler.

I choose a TR because that is what I feel like IRL. I actually feel like a Wk...​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    To have a class only to be the best in a certain way is a hollow goal that will only lead to dispair.
    People should simply play the class that they like because it makes fun to play it.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    That would be an option...onion-40.gif​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    cloudius1978cloudius1978 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    karakla1 wrote: »
    To have a class only to be the best in a certain way is a hollow goal that will only lead to dispair.
    People should simply play the class that they like because it makes fun to play it.

Agreed. Taking this game too seriously will only make it "unfun".

That said, many folks, including myself from time to time, get too caught up in pursing these goals cause we're only human (the perfectionist side of me showing up).
  • Options
    Agreed. Taking this game too seriously will only make it "unfun".

That said, many folks, including myself from time to time, get too caught up in pursing these goals cause we're only human (the perfectionist side of me showing up).

I teach my clients that there is only one thing humans do perfectly. Well other than destroying the environment around us... but that is a different story all together. So there are 2 things we do perfectly, but the one we are the best at is... we are ALL perfectly human. Which means we are perfectly imperfect and flawed beyond all recognition.

As soon as we can accept that... life gets so much easier.
    ​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance