test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rogue PvE Guide?

mudkipqtmudkipqt Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Thieves' Den
Hi everyone,

I just re-installed Neverwinter in hopes to make a little bit of a come back to it. The first thing I noticed was how much TR's have changed. I quit right before Gauntylgrym came out. I had all the BiS gear (full swash, CN weapons, etc) and I ran Shadow Strike, Wicked Reminder, Lashing Blade, Lurker's Assault, and Shocking Execution. I had that rotation memorized inside and out. But now with the stealth changes, from what I see every ability I use depletes a fair percentage of my stealth meter, I have no clue how I am supposed to play a TR.

Are there any guides or sites out there that can help me with my build, gearing goals, rotation, and basically everything?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Post edited by mudkipqt on

Comments

• lemonchilllemonchill Member Posts: 523 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    go to preview server any just try new builds until you find the one you like

its a free respec :)
  • nallifnallif Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree with the above poster. Here's the instructions how to copy your character to the preview server.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?330011-Welcome-to-NeverwinterPreview!-Preview-amp-Gateway-Testing-Information

I play the Master Infiltrator Executioner build. I enjoy it for PvE and PvP.

Getting the right gear is harder. At 70, I'd recommend buying blue gear from the auction house. I don't know how effective it will be, though. The level 70 content is very hard.
  • trill34trill34 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I play MI Executioner and the playstyle has changed considerably. I used to use at-wills (Duelist's Flurry) from stealth to proc feats that gave bonus crit in stealth and to proc the SC set bonus. Now, I use stealth more as a way to enhance my big damage encounters by taking advantage of the 100% crit from stealth. This also sets up Shadow of Demise (although the feat is currently bugged).

But like everyone said, you probably need to look at the feat tree you want to use to see what feats you're going to want to proc. I like Executioner, but they're gimped for AOE damage until SoD is fixed. I've heard Sab is viable too.

Get the artifact MH/OH from campaign. You can get the other gear off the AH until you get enough seals to buy your T1/T2 sets.
  • onegaki101onegaki101 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I never bothered creating a guide as it seems like too much work :). So here is a few tips:

If you planning to PvE and do group dungeons (T1/T2s), I would suggest going Exec build. SoD capstone is not working as design, but it is still the best path for maximum dps in a group setting.

Here is the link of feats you would want: http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/tr?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13e352i:1000000:1z00u00:1uu0uz1&h=0&p=min

The first 26 points should go to exec. The last 15 points is more of a preference. If you prefer more survivability(scoundrel) or more damage(sabatour)

Encounters: Shadow Strike, Smoke Bomb, (ITC or a damage encounter usually Dazing Strike)
    At-Wills: Duelist Flurry, Cloud of Steel(Sly flourish)
    Class feature: Tactician, Invisible Infiltrator
    Dailies: Bloodbath, Shocking Exec

Duelist Flurry will be your primary DPS power. This does the most dps out of any power you got. Time your stealth so you are in stealth 1/4 into the flurry part. Bloodbath will save your life. Not only does it do good dps, but makes you immune to damage. I have been able to solo Lostmouth from 75% because of it.

I prefer this route than the permastealth route for a couple of reasons:
    1.) DPS - permastealth is nice, but the dps is so low in comparison to this style
    2.) Activity - Unlike permastealth, this build is action pact. You dodge, attack, and use encounters as much as possible. As a permastealth, you want to remain in stealth as much as possible so you are mainly spamming Glooming cut until you are low on stealth then use encounter to replenish. Great way to level up with low gear(i did), but horrible for dps in a group setting.

It all depends on the style you want to play.
  • s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    onegaki101 wrote: »
    I never bothered creating a guide as it seems like too much work :). So here is a few tips:

If you planning to PvE and do group dungeons (T1/T2s), I would suggest going Exec build. SoD capstone is not working as design, but it is still the best path for maximum dps in a group setting.

Here is the link of feats you would want: http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/tr?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13e352i:1000000:1z00u00:1uu0uz1&h=0&p=min

The first 26 points should go to exec. The last 15 points is more of a preference. If you prefer more survivability(scoundrel) or more damage(sabatour)

Encounters: Shadow Strike, Smoke Bomb, (ITC or a damage encounter usually Dazing Strike)

Duelist Flurry will be your primary DPS power. This does the most dps out of any power you got. Time your stealth so you are in stealth 1/4 into the flurry part. Bloodbath will save your life. Not only does it do good dps, but makes you immune to damage. I have been able to solo Lostmouth from 75% because of it.

1.) DPS - permastealth is nice, but the dps is so low in comparison to this style
    2.) Activity - Unlike permastealth, this build is action pact. You dodge, attack, and use encounters as much as possible. As a permastealth, you want to remain in stealth as much as possible so you are mainly spamming Glooming cut until you are low on stealth then use encounter to replenish. Great way to level up with low gear(i did), but horrible for dps in a group setting.

This is almost carbon copy to the way I play except I use class features "Tenacious Concealment, First Strike, Skillful Infiltrator and Oppressive Darkness" depending on what I'm doing. (Only use OD on boss as First strike is basically useless there since you're in combat for an extended time)
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    onegaki101 wrote: »

This is similar to my build and my playing style, except for one thing I am a Whisperknife Exec.

I am still playing with my Passives to see which one works best in which situation, but I truly enjoy the way this works in PvP and in PvE.

Believe me, in PvP, many players are a little shocked that a TR will stand in front of them and fight. Even if they kill me, they will most likely die in a few seconds from bleeding wounds.

In PvE... the play style works as CC and just enough DoT, debuffs and AoE to take down groups of 5 to 8 mobs, rather quickly. That is during solo or dungeon runs. I just need to TRUST that my healer will heal me enough to head into the fray. With that being the case, I have done lots of damage.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • combatduelercombatdueler Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Which 15 would be best to spend on if putting in saboteur instead of scoundrel?
    edited May 2015
    Which 15 would be best to spend on if putting in saboteur instead of scoundrel?

If you're mainly going exec tree, then the only reason to leave the exec tree is for gloaming cut or if you are deflection build. Neither of the tier 3 Sab feats are "worth" more than 5 more points in exec. In the Scoundrel tree, the tier 3 feats are passable, but unless you're building for survivability (which means you're not optimizing Stealth, since Stealth is our #1 survival tool) again, the exec tree has much better options. (oh, and my Sig might say Sab - but I respecced back to Exec as Sab is just not up to par with Exec even with a nerfed SoD.)

Personally, I put 10 points in Sab to feat gloaming cut (for solo play) and spent the extra 5 in Exec. There really is nothing else I want from the other 2 tree's.
    edited May 2015
    If you're mainly going exec tree, then the only reason to leave the exec tree is for gloaming cut or if you are deflection build. Neither of the tier 3 Sab feats are "worth" more than 5 more points in exec. In the Scoundrel tree, the tier 3 feats are passable, but unless you're building for survivability (which means you're not optimizing Stealth, since Stealth is our #1 survival tool) again, the exec tree has much better options. (oh, and my Sig might say Sab - but I respecced back to Exec as Sab is just not up to par with Exec even with a nerfed SoD.)

Personally, I put 10 points in Sab to feat gloaming cut (for solo play) and spent the extra 5 in Exec. There really is nothing else I want from the other 2 tree's.

For T1 in Sab would Flashing blade or shady preparations be better?
    And in Exc tree would Grim Pleasure or Shadowborn be better?
  • mirrorballsmirrorballs Member Posts: 877 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    drkbodhi wrote: »
    This is similar to my build and my playing style, except for one thing I am a Whisperknife Exec.

I am still playing with my Passives to see which one works best in which situation, but I truly enjoy the way this works in PvP and in PvE.

It's interesting, since I've also recently moved on to WK/Exec. Basically, WK/Execs are IMO currently the most balanced form of TR in the game, in that its essential tactics have shifted towards 'the basics of TR combat' more than anything else. What was once a dweeby "1-shot wonder / 1-trick pony" in mod5, now needs a focus in every "basic" area of gameplay.

Obviously, with geared people easily going over 100k HP nowadays, even with First Strike LB doesn't mean much since it doesn't pierce anything. Since us WKs don't have SE, we have a strong-but-fair damaging proning Daily to use instead which is not as OP as SE.

Even with FirstStrike assist, DHS lands moderate~low DoT damage on geared people, hence our main mode of damage becomes CoS shots... which start off weak, and then surges up as the target goes lower than the 70% HP threshold, and then another surge of damage buff as they go lower than 30% HP. It's no where as strong as SO, but it's still strong damage, and you don't get it for free -- you need to successfully manage the fight and concentrate, and then, you are rewarded for it.

WK/Execs also operate under normal stealth conditions... no set bonuses for Burning sets so we have normal stealth duration and very limited number of attacks from stealth, unlike Sabos. So we need to spend a considerable amount of time out of stealth, where we are vulnerable and often damaged.

What comes into play as a "ace in the hole", is the combined effects of rank4 Tenacious Concealment (+15% stealth regen) and capstone which provides another +20%. With this set up the stealth meter starts recharging at a fast rate when out of stealth and does not stop, or gets damaged much.

In my case, as a WK/Exec my opinion is that it is best to run with First Strike + Tenacious Concealment, mainhand augment for increased DHS damage, offhand for First Strike augment which gives you an additional +10% crit sev, Vorpal of perfect or above for +50% crit sev, and Tier1 feat arterial cut for +15% crit sev, amounting up to 75 +10 + 50 + 15 = 150% crit sev. Your attacks will hit for 2.5 times the damage.

Ofcourse, even still none of that damage is piercing, so like said, it starts as weak damage, mounts up, and then becomes stronger, and then stronger still. No OP stuff like ITC, no SE, no SO, not even the luxury of movement speed increase for the set up. It's worthwhile and very gratifying, with the only drawback being that its no where as fun and high paced as Scoundrel was...

..oh, and of course, scoundrels are dead. Totally useless in both PvP and PvE...
  • prfctpunchprfctpunch Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am a level 65 trickster rogue on PC and want to completely respec my character for dps . Can anyone help me with the best way to do this? I am struggling!!!! PVE btw
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    prfctpunch wrote: »
    I am a level 65 trickster rogue on PC and want to completely respec my character for dps . Can anyone help me with the best way to do this? I am struggling!!!! PVE btw

TR is pretty bad in pve without good gear compared to other classes, but you can try the MI + Sab for perma stealth with GC spam, but be prepared that it will be pretty boring and long farming.
    edited May 2015
    TR was by far the easiest class to lvl to 70 imo. I leveled CW, OP and HR (each had different struggles). I played MI Sab and used Skulker/Draconic during leveling.
  • tankinatorfrtankinatorfr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    TR is pretty bad in pve without good gear compared to other classes, but you can try the MI + Sab for perma stealth with GC spam, but be prepared that it will be pretty boring and long farming.
    Never seen it. With equaly gueared people, I have no trouble being one of the top DPS, while controling mobs and dodging nearly everything. The only thing you need is to be REALLY fast. any mistake, and you are dead. You are often one-shoted, even with a "reflect-tank" build. But, of course, we feel the nerfs.
    (I talk for Exec, because I am stricktly against perma-stealth. I was playing without it before mod5, I will not start using it during mod6)
  • himingbjorghimingbjorg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In these guides I am reading I cant find how some rogues are doing 400k+ spike damage. Anybody know? lol
  • tankinatorfrtankinatorfr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    in a few words :
    -use encounter from stealth to activate SoD. do it with a powerful hit, like LB or DS (adapt in founction of opponents and situations)
    -spam as many attacks as you can in 6s. Encounters, At-Will, Dayly, everithing is good.
    -the more damage you give in 6s, the more bonus damage you get from SoD.
    => when it is done, start again.
    Others adjustments can be done to improve it (passives, feats...) but that is the idea.
    edited May 2015
    What enchantments do you recommend for offensive and defense slots?
    edited May 2015
    It is hard to tell.
    Enchants are used to adjust, improve your stats. It depend of a lot of factors.
    What gears do you have ? (armors, belts, neck...)
    What artifacts do you use ? What is their level ?
    etc...

And also, what is your build ?
    a sab will want to get it's crit near to 0 because he already crit the all times from stealth.
    an exec will want to max it's crit as he use stealth only for his best attacks and/or to activate SoD., and rely on the crit stat the rest of the time. Exec will stack azure if their stuff don't already give them a decent amount of crit.

As we don't get any armor pen from rolls, we need to get it from stuff. Do you get a lot of ArPen from your armor ? If no, then you might take some dark enchants...

Radiants are always a good choice if there is nothing more important to improve first, because we never have enought power or HP.

Etc...
    It is not easy to tell you what you need, because a lot of factor will influence this need.