test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The proper CW wizard build, is the build that feels right to you.

opalsunsopalsuns Member Posts: 124 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Library
The perfect build is the one that fits your play style, it's that simple.
I am went the MOF route and finding it extremely enjoyable.

After having put 500 hours into the game so far and countless readings of various CW builds and two respecs I finally realized that with all the various info out there on the web for the best build of your CW, there really isn't just one at least for me that is the perfect build. I still encourage you to read everything you can find online from some of the seasoned vets based on the various builds, but I suggest only picking the parts out that cater to how you want to play your CW and experimenting around with it until you find that sweet spot.

For me it was not going full control or full DPS glass, it was a combo of both that I found worked best.

I am finally at the point were my CW has the ability to multi task depending on the group I am running with since members of my guild are not always available to form a full party and that means picking up randoms which we all know can either go really well, just OK, or a complete disaster.

My build is based on balance and combining a little bit of the best of each build so I can focus on control, tanking, or straight DPS.

What is obvious after playing for many hours is that the CW does have to swap out more then others what powers they plan to go in with depending on how they are running and where. Each area the game offers unique encounters and some powers work best on others, while some can have you hurting without the proper selection which IMO makes playing the CW a very rewarding and exciting class to play since there is a lot of strategy involved if you want to play it correctly IMO, and this makes the CW one of the most valuable classes in the game through out from start to end game.

If you are someone who just wants to mash a button and kill, this is not the right class for you. You will be using the full range of the controller at all times during most encounters during the dungeons and you could be the deciding factor between your party succeeding or failing depending on how you strategize your set up.

For instance early in the game I was using a lot of Entangling Force, Ice Storm and Repel. While this combo helped to keep me alive in dire situations as I was ranking up, it became clear that using these were hurting my party, making the dungeons harder to clear, and not helping my team.

The research began and I started to read more and more about the CW. Now I use Icy Terrain and Steal Time as my go to with Furious Immolation (IMO works better then Singularity and Oppressive Force) which is the opposite of what the original combo was doing by pushing away. Now I am pulling the mobs in and actually "controlling", and occasionally tanking if we don't have one for CN runs. This set up of course helps produce more DPS for everyone, doesn't mess up the AOEs for the rest of the party since it pulls the mobs into a nice tight package of death, and makes you a very desirable addition to whatever party you're running with meaning you won't get kicked as much as more people start to recognize your name when you que in for randoms.

That being said, in PVP I switch out to use Repel and Entangling Force which is perfect for single encounters.

I want to go into more detail on my actual build with gear, stats, what enchantments I use and companions (Stone of Allure or the Cat if you can afford is the must haves), but I am gonna save that for a much larger thread to go into specific details about my personal build that I like.

The bottom line and point is, just because it's written doesn't make it the final word. It comes down to this philosophy for being successful in this game and creating a build that feels right for you to make you a valuable asset to any party:

*Do your research on various builds
*Create a list of what attributes stand out from those builds that you like
*Do not be afraid to experiment to find that proper balance
*Try your CW with the team in mind and not yourself

Remember that this is a team based game and no one wants to play with a selfish player, a control wizard is not a class for a selfish class IMO and not geared towards someone who wants to be straight DPS since you will be wasting your real potential.
CW SS
opalsuns
Paragon Gaming

Post edited by opalsuns on

Comments

• Options
    lordsarveriouslordsarverious Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I love MoF alot. Glad I stayed away from the typical builds with Spellstorm. I'm sure they're nice, but I can DPS as good as a rogue. I did better than most others going through the early dungeons with smart cycles on my spells, and staying alive. Got myself a rotation that really just melts the enemies.
    Co-Founder of AoF Neverwinter Branch (TR 60, CW 60 SS)
    Find me on XBL to get an interview to join the guild.
    5.jpg
  • Options
    tojoptojop Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    TC is 100% correct. As a longtime FPS player, I've *always* considered the best gun to be "the gun I do the best with," and to hell with stats that would suggest I'm using an inferior loadout. Eye of the Storm>all :D
  • Options
    tristan313tristan313 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I love MoF alot. Glad I stayed away from the typical builds with Spellstorm. I'm sure they're nice, but I can DPS as good as a rogue. I did better than most others going through the early dungeons with smart cycles on my spells, and staying alive. Got myself a rotation that really just melts the enemies.

Amen! I wanted to try something different from the SpellStorm majority. SS = Domination... so naturally, I went Renegate MoF and haven't looked back! I don't feel weaker and in a group, we all feel like freaking heroes.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I am a Thaumaturge MoF, and I just ran Spider Temple last night. I think the Rogue had only 1 million higher than me in DPS, or vice versa. I get from 5-7 mil in the Pirate King every run. I just AoE everything, and use Furious Immolation to keep them grouped.
    5.jpg
  • Options
    rhbunnyrhbunny Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2015
    I am a Thaumatage MoF too... I just like to burn things! hehehe... I love it, still tweaking my build every now and then but yep, Icy Terrain, Steal Time and Furious Immolation are always in there. Think I've settled for CoI too, just not settled on the second daily or 3rd encounter. Will find something I am happy with eventually.
  • Options
    tomidius80tomidius80 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I built my character to best help the group, as anything that matters is group based.

High Vizer Set.. makes those without maxed our armor pen.. do a lot more damage

Chaos Magic.. heals in pugs, 30% damage for 10 seconds? Armor pen and lifesteal for 10 seconds? Always up... I am not 100% sure how this works but I have had all 3 proc at the same time...

Icy Terrain and Steal Time. AOE and control...

With 50% crit, storm spell is always procing and i'm usually 2nd in damage in real groups... almost always first in pugs..

Its all about the group.. Buffing their damage and debuffing enemies makes stuff melt, just plain deleting mobs..
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    rhbunny wrote: »
    I am a Thaumatage MoF too... I just like to burn things! hehehe... I love it, still tweaking my build every now and then but yep, Icy Terrain, Steal Time and Furious Immolation are always in there. Think I've settled for CoI too, just not settled on the second daily or 3rd encounter. Will find something I am happy with eventually.

I run a similar setup. Not a fan of Steal Time, though I do see it's use. I freeze and then burn everything. I get smolder from that and extra because of crits. Rogues hate me, because I dish out as fast as they can, but I do more AoE.

Current Setup:
    AW- Chilling Cloud and Scorching Burst
    EN- CoI (RB), Fanning the Flame (Y), Icy Terrain (B, and Icy Rays (X)
    DA- Furious Immolation (LB+Y), Ice Knife/Storm (LB+X)
    FE- Swath of Destruction and Critical Conflagration
    5.jpg
  • Options
    strictlyevilstrictlyevil Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I run a similar setup. Not a fan of Steal Time, though I do see it's use. I freeze and then burn everything. I get smolder from that and extra because of crits. Rogues hate me, because I dish out as fast as they can, but I do more AoE.

Current Setup:

Steal Time is great for proccing the HV set bonus in PVE which I'd say is a great reason to keep it on your bar. The CC and decent damage are icing on the cake given that fact. Just personal preference of course.

I think that's one reason why I love playing a CW over other classes. There are so many different ways to play them and even though there are some builds that are better to most you can still do just fine with all sorts of combinations.
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    rhbunnyrhbunny Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2015

Current Setup:

We are running the same setup at the moment except for my Steal Time instead of your Icy Rays. Seems to be working ok for me, just need to get my GS up and try some T2's without getting kicked to get the HV stuff, saving up the AD for a cat then I think I will be sorted.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Nice Rhbunny. I may try steal time for a dungeon and see how it goes. I just made 250k AD yesterday running dungeons with my CW. I definitely need a cat or some augment, but my spider is doing well.

Hey evil: I will check out the set bonus for HV. I have two pieces, so I am close to using that 4 bonus. And I agree, there are so many ways to play a CW and it still be unique. Too much fun doing 11 mil DPS in Spider Temple, and watch the Rogue and Warlocks barely hit 10 mil and drop their tongues. :cool:
    5.jpg
  • Options
    talenwilltalenwill Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I started out as an SS Oppressor. Started reading build guides once i hit 60 and am now a MoF Thaum and absolutely love it.

My crew and I discovered that we no longer need to find a GF for dungeons. Once i start smolder rolling I can aggro every enemy on the map during boss fights and just kite them around while my buddies burn down the boss. Works like a charm. Just ran spell plague and the rest of the team had no adds to deal with while they smashed the aboleth. Racked 17 mil damage, a million more than 2nd place and 9 million more than 3rd.

Current powers-
    AW
    Chilling cloud, ray of frost

Daily
    Furious immolation, ice knife

Features
    Critical conflagration, swath of destruction

Encounters
    Shard, icy terrain, COI (RB) Entangling force. I know people are down on EF. Very situational, but when a Hulk sucks the team in and you choke him and the team can wail on him it's sweet. Works great.

The rotation...
    Shard the group, jump in and slam icy terrain and jump back, EF the biggest threat and COI him.
    Watch the pretty red numbers dance over all the enemies heads as they burn and freeze. Sit down and watch them die from DoTs.

Did i mention I love my MoF CW?
  • Options
    flanniganbkflanniganbk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I'm ss.. Confused why you guys are okay with only doing as much dps as a rogue? Usually can beat them by 30%.. Hunter rangers tho.. Those are a good goal. Also broke 150k ice knife crit last night finally.
  • Options
    dreadkissdreadkiss Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    IF YOU GUYS WOULD LIKE TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY

GT MH HAVOC

BEST CW IN GAME 17.8K CONTROL WIZARD SPELLSTORM RENEGADE REAL STATS
    SS CW/iron vanguard GWF
    Legacy/Kevlar
    Look Good Play Good
    STREAMING NEVERWINTER DAILY 7:00PM -2:00AM TWITCH ID: MHHAVOC
    LOVE TAKING CHALLENGES COME FIND ME IN I.W.D.
  • Options
    articiawinterarticiawinter Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    ok my wizard isent good but i do play other classes that are good and i can say as some one on a team with a wizard i cant stand when they use steal time i end up having the hardest time when a wizard use that lol drives me insane i end up flying of cliffs or flying past everything im suppose to hit not to mention it gets me killed like every time. and i used it for a little while on my wizard and the person i play with sits next to me so i got to see him get frustrated everytime i used it and the same stuff would happen to him he fling forwards off cliffs and zip past all enemies and often die. time steal doesnt help team mates it kills us and throws us off same as repel i love repel but playing in group i see why it makes them mad. happens to often all go to help a wizard low on life and they will use repel which makes it so i have to hunt the enemy down which in turn 9 times out of 10 gets me and the wizard killed
  • Options
    YOUR BAD ROFL
    SS CW/iron vanguard GWF
    Legacy/Kevlar
    Look Good Play Good
  • Options
    articiawinterarticiawinter Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    dreadkiss wrote: »
    YOUR BAD ROFL
    are u talking to me?

• Options
    acridbird74acridbird74 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Articiawinter, steal time has zero knockback at all. It stuns and slows big groups of enemies and keeps them grounded. It is extremely powerful as a control power when coupled with icy terrain. It also helps get your daily up pretty quick. In a Tiamat fight, I find steal time to be vital along with oppressive force as the daily. I believe you are thinking of the burst from shield. That is a secondary power after shields are up and sends enemies scattering. I use shield for defense and almost never use the burst feature.
    Aelwyn | SS Renegade CW | Lv 70 | ilvl 3029

Eos Sindhalyn | Annointed haste DC | Lv 70 | ilvl 2500

Lily Firegrass | buffbot Iron Vanguard GF | Lv 70 | ilvl 2685

Guild: The Misfit Toys - We are recruiting active players
  • Options
    mikeyfliesmikeyflies Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    "High Vizer Set.. makes those without maxed our armor pen.. do a lot more damage"
    For pve high vizier helps those WITH max armor penetration more than those w/o.

From kaelac's-guide-to-damage-tenacity-reisistance-and-debuffs-in-neverwinter/

"Equation 3.2 Debuff calculation for High Vizier
    Somehow High Vizier gets away with only 1 debuff multiplier,
    Effective HV debuff magnitude (%) = no. of stacks * base debuff magnitude * (1+ attacker RI% - enemy DR %)

What this means is the benefit the attacker gains from debuffs (either those placed by you or those placed by someone else) is directly proportional to the attacker's own RI%. If an enemy is debuffed with High Prophet and/or Plague fire/ Terror their effect will be up to 24% weaker for somebody without RI % (converts to about 5-6% debuff overall). This is a major reason for stacking ArP. "

IMHO all control wizards should be wearing high vizier armor as that 30% debuff (with 3 stacks) can be reapplied very fast and is amazing :)

Now as for steal time the speed boost you are describing *only* happens when it is slotted into the mastery slot. I found the same thing (it was annoying those I played with) so I moved it out and haven't missed it at all. Much more predictable for the group if it is *not* in mastery. Steal time itself appears to apply 3 stacks of the high vizier debuff to enemies right now making it fantastic for everything (bosses and tiamat heads included).

• Options
    acridbird74acridbird74 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    mikeyflies wrote: »
    "High Vizer Set.. makes those without maxed our armor pen.. do a lot more damage"
    For pve high vizier helps those WITH max armor penetration more than those w/o.

From kaelac's-guide-to-damage-tenacity-reisistance-and-debuffs-in-neverwinter/

"Equation 3.2 Debuff calculation for High Vizier
    Somehow High Vizier gets away with only 1 debuff multiplier,
    Effective HV debuff magnitude (%) = no. of stacks * base debuff magnitude * (1+ attacker RI% - enemy DR %)

What this means is the benefit the attacker gains from debuffs (either those placed by you or those placed by someone else) is directly proportional to the attacker's own RI%. If an enemy is debuffed with High Prophet and/or Plague fire/ Terror their effect will be up to 24% weaker for somebody without RI % (converts to about 5-6% debuff overall). This is a major reason for stacking ArP. "

IMHO all control wizards should be wearing high vizier armor as that 30% debuff (with 3 stacks) can be reapplied very fast and is amazing :)

Now as for steal time the speed boost you are describing *only* happens when it is slotted into the mastery slot. I found the same thing (it was annoying those I played with) so I moved it out and haven't missed it at all. Much more predictable for the group if it is *not* in mastery. Steal time itself appears to apply 3 stacks of the high vizier debuff to enemies right now making it fantastic for everything (bosses and tiamat heads included).

Ok, I feel dumb now. I have never slotted steal time in mastery and didn't realize it caused teammates to have super speed. Good to know that it doesn't always help teammates. I was seriously considering adding steal time to the mastery slot, but now I don't think so.
    Aelwyn | SS Renegade CW | Lv 70 | ilvl 3029

Eos Sindhalyn | Annointed haste DC | Lv 70 | ilvl 2500

Lily Firegrass | buffbot Iron Vanguard GF | Lv 70 | ilvl 2685

Guild: The Misfit Toys - We are recruiting active players
  • Options
    dreadkiss wrote: »
    YOUR BAD ROFL
    are u talking to me?

yes im talking to you, you have no idea what your talking about
    SS CW/iron vanguard GWF
    Legacy/Kevlar
    Look Good Play Good
  • Options
    slybillyslybilly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I've been a ss cw since I've had him any tips for trying out mof? And dread 17k gear score is nothing man don't attack others for questuons
  • Options
    im 20k @slybilly
    SS CW/iron vanguard GWF
    Legacy/Kevlar
    Look Good Play Good
  • Options
    slybillyslybilly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Who cares @dreadkiss