test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Auction house following items

shrike025shrike025 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi,

Is there any way to observe specific items? Sometimes there are hundreds of the same item and I want to know what is happening only to one of them, which has the best price etc. without having to scroll through everything all the time.

The same thing is with outbidding. There is no information whether the item was sold or someone placed a bid on it. When I have 20 bids it's really hard to find the one I had the bid previously.

How you handle this?
Double Party
NW-DDI8G8OSL
Post edited by shrike025 on

Comments

• alisi1alisi1 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I thought you got an email (in game mail I mean) if someone out bidded you? Maybe I'm thinking of another game though. (I'm old and the memory ain't what it used to be.)
  • shrike025shrike025 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, you got a mail. But how to find the item on the auction to place a bid again? Go through a huge list of items to find it? A lot of work, when you have a lot of bids.

I'm looking for something like 'Bid again' button :).
    Double Party
    NW-DDI8G8OSL
  • alisi1alisi1 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You want a convenience button? Hahahahaha.

Seriously that is a good idea though. Is there a place to ask for added features that won't effect game play other than making mundane tasks more enjoyable?
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you are outbid on an item - go back to the Auction House and look for that item again (it is mentioned in the mail message). Do *not* try to find the exact same one you bid on previously. Rather you should just shop again for the lowest bid and bid on *that* one.

Real example: I wanted a particular armor piece and I bid on it. Then I was out-bid and got my AD back. So I went back to the AH and looked for that item: there was a new listing of the same item and the buyout price was cheaper than the bid I made on the other one - for the exact same item. So I felt lucky that I was out-bid as I got what I wanted for a lot less AD and I got it immediately.
  • drey181drey181 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Like xsayajinx1 said. Are you sure there isn't a "My Bids" tab in the AH? Every time I get outbid on something there's always a tab called "My Bids" in the AH.
    edited May 2015
    That's true. But somtimes one item is hilariously cheap on bid and expensive on buyout. Everyone bids on it and I need to find it again among 400 exactly the same items. There's an mail about the outbid, but actually this item could be bought out as well. Scrolling the AH to find something that's not there is rather frustrating.

But probably these are the mechanics of AH. If everyone has the same problem I'm fine with that. :)
    Double Party
    NW-DDI8G8OSL
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    shrike025 wrote: »
    But probably these are the mechanics of AH. If everyone has the same problem I'm fine with that. :)

Yes, we do. LOL

I always sort by buy-out and rarely ever bid on anything because it just takes too long. In my example where I was out-bid and then found a new listing on the cheap it was the same scenario: the original I have bid on did not have a buy-out price and this is the biggest mistake sellers can make.

My method is as such: I often search for specific things rather than just browse around. I will put in full titles so I get only the items I am most interested in. I will then sort by buy-out price: low-to-high. The "no buy-out" listing show up first and I skip past them to the buy-out stuff.

In the case of actually bidding on something: I will bid on a 3-Day bid (or item with only 3 days left) even if it costs more than a five-day bid. I sort on "Bids" column - low-to-high, then scan the "Time Left" column. Even if I was out-bid on something. My point is if there are "hundreds" of the same thing then it's highly likely there's one at a lower bid price than the one you were out-bid on. Buy-out price doesn't matter at all if you can just bid on it. Either it will be sold through buy-out (same as being out-bid) or at the highest bid when the bidding expires.

TL-DR: It's ways best to look for the [lI]owest current bid[/I] on any item no matter what the buy-out price is: you will more often be out-bid (another bidder or it's it bought-out) or there is a chance you will win the bid. If the current bid is within reasonable range of buy-out it is better to just buy-out and get it now without risk of constantly being out-bid. At least this is how I approach the Auction House wars.
    edited May 2015
    sorting is a good idea xD I forgot about that :P
    Double Party
    NW-DDI8G8OSL
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally, I find the bidding process to be a PITA and just buyout when AH-shopping. Saves a lot of time and annoyance.