test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Paladin: HP or defense/DR?

benistvanbenistvan Member Posts: 159 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Citadel
Which worth more to Protector Paladin? Stacking HP or stacking defense/DR?
Using azure or radiant in def slot?

Light's Shield or Steadfast feat?
Post edited by benistvan on

Comments

• zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Protection paladin can easily cap DR so HP or deflect is more useful. Whereas Devotion paladin is much further from DR cap and probably could use some. But then again, with the ammount of ArP mobs have in lvl 70 zones and dungeons, any amount of DR is pointless. So I suggest improving your HP or deflect to get the most out of it.
  • equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    zvieris wrote: »
    Protection paladin can easily cap DR so HP or deflect is more useful. Whereas Devotion paladin is much further from DR cap and probably could use some. But then again, with the ammount of ArP mobs have in lvl 70 zones and dungeons, any amount of DR is pointless. So I suggest improving your HP or deflect to get the most out of it.

zvieris is right. Both deflect and hp are useful.
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)
  • benistvanbenistvan Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Protection paladin can easily cap DR so HP or deflect is more useful. Whereas Devotion paladin is much further from DR cap and probably could use some.
    Well with guarding it reaches the 80% DR cap yes but still.
    But then again, with the ammount of ArP mobs have in lvl 70 zones and dungeons, any amount of DR is pointless. So I suggest improving your HP or deflect to get the most out of it.
    What do you mean by that? Mobs have very high Arp?
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd place them in the following order:

1. Hit Points
    2. Deflect
    3. Defense

Note, I'm a Oath of Protection OP, but even with that being said I think the above list is the most optimum. :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    empty slots
  • k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    benistvan wrote: »

Armor Penetration. The mobs have it too, and it works the same for them as it does for us. And in practical terms it means that as far as the above-70 mobs' damage output is concerned you might as well be wearing wet cardboard.
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    benistvan wrote: »
    Well with guarding it reaches the 80% DR cap yes but still.

Yes, the lvl 73 mobs especially. Don't know the exact number but it's very high.

You can reach 80%+ DR without guarding. 10% DR from Divine Call, 10% from Protection paragon, 35%+ from armor and CON, 5% from valorous strike, 25% from circle of power, 12.5% from aura of protection, 30% from p. Negation or better, 5% from tier 2 bulwark feat when standing still. Most of them don't show up in character status but they do work nevertheless.
  • zaarakizaaraki Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2015
    U can add up the %DR like this? I always though its more like the mob hit gets reduced by your %defence then the new value gets reduced by your feats and so on. Not necessary in that order.

If that is the case then how the skills like Aura of truth works which reduces the dmg mobs do? The same as normal DR? Also if i get my ap generation rly high and basicly can keep Divine Protector up almost all the time there is absolutely no need for any defence coz i am sitting at the 80% cap anyway?

This %DR calculation can change up things dramatically for me.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Look you here.

Sure, this is pre-Mod-6 data, but I'd be amazed if these basic formulas got overworked.

So: "Actual damage = base damage * (1 + Attacker's resistance ignored % – Target's damage resistance %)"

where the bracket content would be upper-capped at 1, or lower-capped... ...well,...

Two interesting questions ensue: Where exactly is the 80% DR-cap applied? Kaelacs guide doesn't specify this, but it can either be applied to the DR in the bracket, which would mean stacking beyond 80% DR would have no effect. Or it can be applied to the DR-ResIgn-sum, which would mean that a minimum of 20% damage would always get through (*0.25 when you're fighting 3 Lvls uphill, applied before or after??? but that's the next question...).

So if someone who has a tanky tank grab some friend and test that in the IwD PvP zone, everybody numerophile would be grateful for their report on their results...

Still: Your DR gets linearly eaten up by Mob's ResIgn (<=> ArPen). Deflect and HP don't. That's the hitch about stacking DR in low amounts, like < 40% (arbitrarily put here). And then again it's interesting what happens beyond 80%. But in the zone between 40 and 80% there should be meaningful effects from stacking.

Another thing here (No hard facts, rahter hazy memories, rather...): I seem to remember that the level-delta-cliff had some effect here, too - but I couldn't find the post referring to that when I looked for it. My brain keeps telling me something about our ArPen losing effect and/or our DR losing effect, when the monster is 3 Lvls above us. If someone has better info at hand, or a link to the post or blog where that had been outlined, I'd be grateful there, too...