test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Timers?

mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2015 in The Foundry
What's the latest preferred method for timers? I was using some simple drop-timers (having a single mob encounter patrol off a platform into a cave intersection hole. Works great when testing, but not when published. :(

Do I need to use combat timers now? Thanks...
DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
The Cursed Emerald:
  1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
  2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
Post edited by mosby1 on

Comments

• Options
    gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Remember that the mobs used for timers will only spawn in the encounter is within range of the player. You can check to see if the player will be in range by checking the LAYOUT overlay.

yS25d80.jpg

So, if you want the mob to appear outside of the map when the player enters the room, and then proceed to walk off a cliff, the player needs to trigger that event while inside the mobs Encounter Area.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Ah, thanks. I thought it was within 256'. Guess I'm going to have to go back and change all mine.

I wonder if I can "trick" it a bit - by having mobs on both sides of the player (but far away) - so the encounter area is near the player... hmm...

Strange how it works perfectly in the editor, but not when published. Ah well.
    The Cursed Emerald:
  • Options
    essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There are some things that have changed with mob behavior.

The range is still 256 feet, with a caveat that it expands to 280+ feet if the PC is combat thanks to the new larger social aggro range.

Mobs won't necessarily path off a cliff, they will find the nearest safe spot, but only on the live server.

For pathed drop timers, I use floors that are angled so one end dips below the deathplane to achieve timers.

For stationary drop timers, I place a floor 1 foot below the deathplane. That way the mobs won't relocate to a safe location, since there is geometry below them.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    As a side note, traps work okay for killing mobs as triggers again, but you can only have three traps in close proximity to each other.

With three traps, it takes about 2.5 seconds to kill a level 70 mob from my testing.
    About 6.5 seconds for a single trap.
    And about 4.5 seconds for two traps.

You could combine this with guard / hard mob kills to speed it up I imagine.
  • Options
    gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    essenti would know better than me. I have only used 1 timer in my entire Foundry career. :P
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    oh the new traps are indeed great for timers, what traps do you use?
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I used an imp portal since it can't move with a spike trap =)
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ah, cool. I guess it doesn't spawn imps unless you're closer, or the imps could spawn away from the trap.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    There is only the imp and the trap, so imps shouldn't be spawning. However, the new imp portal changes do not require the imps to die to trigger the "component complete" event, so they are effectively not an issue so long as they remain locked in their box =)
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    essenti wrote: »
    As a side note, traps work okay for killing mobs as triggers again,

Oh! Traps are scaling with level AND causing an injury? I don't think I noticed that.
    Are traps now a set percentage of max hitpoints?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yes they are, though the spike trap still gets people stuck, and racks up a full red body of injury and kills a player when a player does get stuck... but great to use on an imp portal as a trigger, not so much for traps that a player might run into =/
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I spent the weekend trying a lot of different timer options. I had too many problems trying to use patrol/drop timers. The mobs just were not following the path (even when i put up walls to constrain them. I also tried using multi-mob encounters so I could place some mobs on each side (so the player would be in the activation region), but that caused too many problems. I was having timer mobs spawn into my main map (even though I had walls to prevent it).

I ended up using a combination of trap timers (pretty much as described above, though I did have imps spawn into my play area when I tried the portal - so I ended up using single-unit guard encounters). If I just wanted to kill the mob quickly, I used spike traps.

But I found that plague-cracks do very consistent damage, about ~5% of the victims health each second. So it didn't matter which mob I used as the victim. Since they stack, I could control the timer duration by using different quantities of cracks: 1 for ~21 seconds, 2 for ~14 seconds, 3 for ~7 seconds, etc. (I needed fairly consistent/accurate times for some patrolling/interacting NPCs.)

I have the traps set up about 75' from the player, and they seem to work well.
    The Cursed Emerald:
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mosby1 wrote: »
    The mobs just were not following the path (even when i put up walls to constrain them. I also tried using multi-mob encounters so I could place some mobs on each side (so the player would be in the activation region), but that caused too many problems. I was having timer mobs spawn into my main map (even though I had walls to prevent it).

Yeah, annoying. I had mobs "jump" through about 50' of "non-room" space on an interior map to get to my PC about 60' away. I put a couple invisible rings around the hidden mobs and that seems to have taken care of it.

In my Cult of the Dragon contest entry my "underground" mobs were spawning 100' ABOVE their platform onto the terrain.

I spend more time "fighting" to adjust to whatever non-helpful "help" Cryptic implements for mob AI for timer/logic workarounds. Very annoying.