test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Healing is hell

kaji11kaji11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PvE Discussion
Anyone got any tips for when you have to try and heal a group that likes standing in all the little red marks and getting nearly or successfully 1 shot? Seeing as this is at least 80% of all the groups I get in dungeons. - Virtuos Cleric 8.4k gs
Post edited by kaji11 on

Comments

• Options
    lordsarveriouslordsarverious Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Other than the GF they should die. It's not their job to stand there like a dummy. Just Kidding.

If they won't move, heal what you can and move on. You can heal stupidity. I would try to get them to move away, and leave it at that. IF they die and ask you why, tell them that standing on a red circle and taking a super damaging attack in the face can't be healed that fast with all of the other mobs too.
    Co-Founder of AoF Neverwinter Branch (TR 60, CW 60 SS)
    Find me on XBL to get an interview to join the guild.
    5.jpg
  • Options
    eroticdoomeroticdoom Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Use Divine glow with divinity you can at least fire off 3 and still have 3 Healing word casts... you cant save stupidity.
    " I reject your reality and substitute it with my own "
  • Options
    kaji11kaji11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have no idea if it pleases me or not that I went for an 8.3k rating dungeon, which I had been avoiding due to confidence being low, and found it so much easier
  • Options
    amgfailamgfail Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You can heal damage, but you can't heal the dumb off of people. Probably better to use the forums here to find yourself a good guild or a solid group of dungeon runners instead of doing the PuG thing. They're generally a nightmare.
    Snivy - 60 Spellstorm Renegade Control Wizard
    Abigore - 60 Hellbringer Fury Scourge Warlock
    -XBOX ONE PLAYER ONLY-
  • Options
    swagicalxswagicalx Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2015
    Get 4/4 Draconic set gives you 20% increase to all your healing spells
  • Options
    swagicalxswagicalx Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2015
    and some good enchantments
  • Options
    karivaakarivaa Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kaji11 wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for when you have to try and heal a group that likes standing in all the little red marks and getting nearly or successfully 1 shot? Seeing as this is at least 80% of all the groups I get in dungeons. - Virtuos Cleric 8.4k gs

I'm sorry but you made me chuckle! I was a healer for years on WOW. I have started a DC and am level 59. Currently my gear score sucks because I am terrified to run dungeons because of the "kicking" factor as well as idiots. I have been doing Orc Assault and by the time I am teleported to it, half the team is almost dead because they didn't wait for me. This has also happened in lower dungeons.

Yeah - healing is hell! Lol! I keep reading the forums thinking wow, what is going on?! Usually when I talk via a headset, people will settle down, but they never talk back. On WOW, it was so easy to type! In this game, I can type via smart glass or a keyboard but it's a pain.
  • Options
    mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well for starters you could respec for Faithful. Virtuous healers are best suited for content that doesn't have heavy hitting red as thier clutch healing ability is extremely limited. Granted if you gear up properly your HoTs will hit so fast and hard that you won't need clutch healing, but I've yet to see a DC pull that off reliably while under the 12k GS mark.

HOWEVER, and I've not yet tested this (i have 3 DCs and my Virtuous one hasn't hit 60 yet) you may be able to still make Virtuous work with the proper skill rotations. Try slotting Astral Shield, Divine Glow, and Bastion of Health. As soon as the group starts fighting lay down a normal Astral Sheild, switch to divine mode and lay down one or two Divine Astral Shields, put down a Divine Divine Glow to finish getting your Empowered ticks and then lay down the Empowered Bastion of Health. Your normal Divine glow won't be on cooldown as you haven't used it so you can either save it to slap some healing on Legolas (you know... that HR thats specced to used only his bow and has drawn the aggro of half the room). Slap some Astral SEALS down in front of your melee DPSers and use Sacred Flame to finish gaining Divinity. Rinse repeat.

That's again, a bit of theorycrafting as my Virtuous healer isn't there yet but I'm well aware of how they work. The thought process behind the rotation goes like this, First Astral shield is for the group DR. In NW, DR beats healing pure and simple. The two divine Astral Shields are to stack on some temp HP which will hopefully buy you enough time to get all your HoTs fully ticking. The Empowered BoH because, ermagawd it's a big heal regardless of your spec.

I realize this post is a bit dated and the OP may have given up hope and won't check this anymore, but maybe my reply heare will help future virtuous healers who are struggling. At the end of the day I still say Faithful healing is WAY better though...
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Astral Seal X4 (or however you feel best to gain divinity)
    D-Sunburst, D-Sunburst, D-Sunburst
    Empowered Astral Shield
    (refill Divinity)
    D-BoH, D-BoH, D-BoH
    Empowered Bastion of Health

If this rotation doesnt keep people alive they dont need to be in that dungeon.

Note: this is a basic rotation. it can obviously be switched as necessary.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    kaji11 wrote: »

This game uses Trinity Lite which means that it's not your job to heal everyone. You support the people around you if you choose to do a trinity style run but it's definitely not designed to make you solely responsible for the people around you even as a DC.

So if they are standing in everything and they aren't paying attention to their surroundings or the red zones then that's their loss. They have three slots for potions and companions with healing skills AND healing artifacts.
  • Options
    twitchx85twitchx85 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah honestly i have a fresh DO spec'd virtous, only have a 8000 GS and i have never had an issue except for people who stand an try to take the red telegraphs. I run with Healing Word, Bastion of Health and Astral Shield and no issue yet. I kinda let a warlock die because i kept saying over the mic to stop standing in the red <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and never listened so i was like screw it lol (maniacal laugh)
  • Options
    emmure8004emmure8004 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mrtehpuppy wrote: »
    Well for starters you could respec for Faithful. Virtuous healers are best suited for content that doesn't have heavy hitting red as thier clutch healing ability is extremely limited. Granted if you gear up properly your HoTs will hit so fast and hard that you won't need clutch healing, but I've yet to see a DC pull that off reliably while under the 12k GS mark.

Seriously? I've been rolling virtuous since day 1 and had absolutely no problem healing anything, no matter if soft or hard hitting stuff, and yeah, my burst or clutch healing capabilities are more than sufficient. I played a 21/10/0 build for about a month and a half and just recently respeced to 31/0/0

Given, my gear score is currently way above your mentioned 12k, but well, I've been down there too, and didn't have any problems at 8k gear score and don't have any right now at 17.7k gear score either.

The spec you roll doesn't matter that much, it needs to suit your personal play style, and the gear you collect and stats you push need to support your build.

@OP

If they are too stupid to get out of the red circles, it ain't your problem. Let them die.
    Emmure - lvl 70 Cleric - 3.7k IL
    Bring Me The Horizon - lvl 70 Rogue - 2.5k IL

[The Legendary Outlaws]
  • Options
    lvlkarmalvllvlkarmalvl Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A huge part of playing a non-DC is knowing what damage you can and can't take, and also the secondary effects (knockback) that you can mitigate.

I play a GWF and if my timing is down or I'm taking regular but reasonable damage my uptime on Unstoppable is near 100%. Combined with some well timed sprint bursts I can avoid a lot of damage without leaving the red zones. That way my DPS maintains good averages because I'm not running back and forth. My class has the HP to eat a little more damage as well. Plus you need to learn (on lower level dungeons) what damage is worth just taking when inside buff zones, like astral.

I don't know how it is for ranged DPS, but for melee it really just becomes a balancing act of knowing when to pull back and when not to. Dragons are a perfect example - take eLoL. I don't need to move when he does the wing buffet - I either don't get pushed at all, or hardly at all. But I still dodge is eye beams, breath weapons, and aoe fire balls (most of the time). Unfortunately my deflect isn't high enough right now to mitigate a critical hit, so I still do go down but them's the chances you take. I never blame the healer if I go down, it's my fault or a weakness of my build.

Point is I strongly recommend each class know and understand not only how to work with a healer, but also what the healer is and is not capable of. Just because you played with a really good one that was fully and properly specced doesn't mean that should be the standard you hold everyone to. And even the best temp HP buffs and the power that grants HP at low health can't always save you from a massive hit.
  • Options
    birdsarcomabirdsarcoma Member Posts: 40
    Hallowed Ground + Astral Shield. If a GF stands in it, he should be able to mitigate enough damage to keep the group alive long enough for you to fire off a Bastion of Health or Healing Word.
    "If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."
  • Options
    soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    I want to give some perspective from a DPS point of view.

I'm an HR trapper and many times I am dealing the highest DPS for the mobs and drawing aggro. I have run with many healers with a GS below 10k and the healing is so good that I intentionally stand in the red and just run through my encounters back to back and lay waste to everything. In this type of scenario the only thing I dodge is daze, knock back, root attacks because even though I'm confident the healer will keep me alive I don't want the lost time from killing monsters.

I've also seen healers with 13k+ GS and we're not nearly as effective. Obviously it doesn't take long to figure this out so I go back to dodging and running around. This is ok too, I've gotten pretty good at it. However I have seen a few healers in this scenario start to complain that everyone is running around like idiots and they can't heal eveyone. So you see, everyone is different, people complain about standing in the red and complain about running around. We have no idea initially what you are capable of and what your preferences are so please have some patience.

Also if someone goes down a few times it's not the end of the world. If one person has double digit downs they probably need to figure some things out or rework thier build. If the entire group has double digit downs then yeah, the healer might be to blame. Or it was just a bad group.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin
  • Options
    tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 399 Arc User
    Honestly, I just let them die. Eventually they will get the hint that standing in a Red Area is bad news.
    I am not a walking potion, I will not chase you down to heal you, And Mr. CW? You are not a IV Sent., you cannot stand in melee range for extended periods of time!

In all seriousness, DC's cannot heal everyone all of the time. Sometimes in heated battles you have to perform a bit of Trauma. Who lives? Who goes to the fire? Thats really all there is to it.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • Options
    zenghenzenghen Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Honestly I haven't really had any problems healing when I group. Usually I triage in this order: Tank, Highest DPS single or DPS group since many players like to work in tandem, Squishy or Semi-Squishy DPS, myself, and then inevitably the one DPS who thinks he can take on the world. Usually he or she is the same one that is a red strike magnet. ;)

That being said, while I play the Band-Aid boo boo fixer class, I will try my best to keep everyone alive, but that doesn't mean I'm going to chase you all over if you keep playing in the red. ;)
  • Options
    nickinightnickinight Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Protect-Cleric-at-all-costs! It makes life easier for all :smiley: Well, that's my 'job' whenever I find myself with a healer.

Too many people think they're invincible when they have a Cleric, those will be the ones who spam in chat "Why you no heal?"

Although I don't have a lvl 60 Healer, I can understand how pressuring it could be to follow everyone around and spam encounters constantly. Idiots could at least dodge and try to avoid the pretty red circles for the sake of the healer.
    And if they take agro, my little TR runs over and smoke-bombs the area. Ha, forget the rest of the group continuing on expecting everyone to follow and ignore the dying team mates.
    Post edited by nickinight on
    Lvl 70 HR Mistress Fleur | Lvl 70 TR Countess Myra
    1. "Cleric: Protect at all costs.
    2. Rest of Group: Expendable."
    GT= NikkiNight (Looking for new peeps to run ANY dungeons/skirmishes with. GS irrelevant)
  • Options
    soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    I didn't know a DC could take aggro from lots of healing but that is good to know for sure.

I agree with you though nick... I absolutely love running with a DC and if I see one go down I'm like "nnooooooooooooo". I usually end up sacrificing myself to revive them. Glad I have Soulforged ;)
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin
  • Options
    drexcidrexci Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    To the op, astrial shield is your friend. read the tool tip and test/cast it yourself with different levels of divinity while taking damage from mobs, the different encounters in well of dragons is good because of the different enemy'.

Also the temp hit points its gives people when cast through divinity is a nice buff from them getting one shot.

Once you master astrial shield you'll find you don't really need to heal people all the time.

hope this helps

• Options
    patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    I got booted for an ELOL run. I am a 16.5 DC, great stats, and I know how to play my class. I usually run with my guild and we can completely **** on ELOL in minutes. But, I get all the way to the final room and this dumb dumb TR, about 13.1 gs with horrible stats, starts talking all kinds of **** because he dies while fighting the scorpions (He stood in the red circles every time). But he says I am a horrible healer because I couldn't keep HIM alive, no one else every went below 80% health. But he keeps saying how **** I am and how I suck at healing, next thing I know I am seeing the loading screen lol.

I even told him that he was standing in the red circles, but apparently one dumb dumb opinion was enough for everyone else to boot me.
  • Options
    patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    Also, I keep telling people (mainly in ESoT) that I can not heal a 1 shot kill, referring to the 1 shot knife attack the guy has. It is amazing to see how many people still just stand right in the path of those blades smh
  • Options
    yourenext2dieyourenext2die Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    I played against a healer in PVP called "I CANT HEAL YOUR GEAR SCORE" I thought it was kinda funny actually, and somewhat true.
    Super Saiyan God- TR Lvl 70 (PVP)
    Unleash The Wolves- HR Lvl 70 (PVE)
    <font color="Aquamarine">"Non-Pay-To-Win"</font>
    I hunt GWF "Magik" on sight.