test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

binding oath

kegliskolbakegliskolba Member Posts: 34 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Citadel
did anyone thoroughly tested it? does it work as tooltip says?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• barginnbarginn Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Aside from the taunt, yes, it's wonderful for tanking and soloing alike.
  • kegliskolbakegliskolba Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    is that how it works?

HwN8VXE.jpg
  • hallacatthallacatt Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2015
    I need to test it more thoroughly but no, it doesnt work exactly as advertised.

#1) It doesnt taunt

#2) (NEEDS MORE TESTING) It appears to be affected by all damage multipliers making it, effectively, a suicide bomb.

I parsed about 8 t2 runs yesterday with it and I likely will not slot Binding Oath ever again. Im not exactly sure what all the self-inflicted damage is affected by, but I was hitting my self with it for MORE than the base damage roughly 95% of the time - usually ranging between 140-200% effectiveness against myself. I have enough arpen to totally negate my own DR, if that is the culprit, and in combat have over 20k power. In my "dont use tab" run, it did less damage to me than when playing normally which shows it is also affected by the justice capstone of +35% damage. The self-inflicted damage did not appear to reduce either holding shift OR with divine protector up.

In short, if all of the above testing is true, binding oath has almost zero place in dungeon content or otherwise. If you are well geared you will kill yourself in dungeon content more often than not and outside of dungeon content you wont take enough damage to make it do enough damage to justify the long cooldown.

In the combat log posted above me you will see that the self-inflicted damage is more effective than the damage to all the mobs, although the difference is not nearly what I see in my own logs as the percentages are much closer here - this might just be a gear factor. Pay attention to the percentages of the base damage by comparing inside and outside the parenthesis - the damage inside is the unmodified base damage.

I encourage other users with ACT to run similar tests and see if your findings are the same as mine.
    edited May 2015
    yeah, i've came to similar assumptions as yours especially this:
    If you are well geared you will kill yourself in dungeon content more often than not and outside of dungeon content you wont take enough damage to make it do enough damage to justify the long cooldown.

almost everyhting whats written in tooltip is wrong:

1. it doesn't force mobs to attack you.
    2. it doesn't absorb all damage, only 70-80%
    3. it's says you deal 50*20=10% absorbed damage back while on smaller mobs it's partially true but as you see in screenshot above there is now way i absorbed (43077*12+143589)/0.1=6605130 dmg in 6s timespan.
    4. it also damages yourself (why is that even possible?) the most out of all hits.
  • absolynavi3absolynavi3 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Amazing :O

It'd be great if some Dev. could explain this, or take a look and check if this mecanic should be (also) reworked.

BR
    KUuXsKu.jpg
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Rank 4 seems to be bugged. Though i still use it while soloing in IWD, but in dungeons rank 4 just **** me (didnt had problems with rank 3)
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    Rank 4 seems to be bugged. Though i still use it while soloing in IWD, but in dungeons rank 4 just **** me (didnt had problems with rank 3)

Rank 4 is working as intended. You just absorb damage for 2 more seconds which increases the damage you deal to yourself after the buff runs out. Just that. Been running around with rank 4 binding oath for a few weeks now.
    edited May 2015
    The only thing that log proves is that you pulled 12 mobs in WoD and stood in the aimed shot. Use heals while it's running. Keep those temp HP up. 12 mobs shouldn't even be a challenge. I haven't tried it in any T2, but in level 73 areas there's no comparison to fighting without it.

Speaking as protection paladin, of course. I suppose results may vary by paragon path if you're actually trying to tank.

If anyone has any hard numbers on this, I'd be happy to read what they have to say. The ability "basically" does what it says, aside from the taunt; it works well enough that I have personally zero inclination to load up ACT and nitpick about it. I'll leave that to our local theorycrafting heroes and browse their findings with mild curiosity.

Meanwhile, I'll be the guy standing in the middle of the 20-30 thayans in the HE, stealing your aggro, taking full combat advantage damage, and inexplicably not dying.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Binding Oath works great out in the world. Does what its suppose to. In dungeons, it's the pendulum hanging over your head. Quite a few times using Blinding Oath, I would die as it expired. I have a nice damage pic in the Bug section: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?935731-Binding-Oath-Killer

I'm guessing there's an damage absorbtion overflow.......what doesn't go out comes back to you.....or something along that line. :eek:
  • jesspincijesspinci Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hallacatt wrote: »

In short, if all of the above testing is true, binding oath has almost zero place in dungeon content or otherwise. If you are well geared you will kill yourself in dungeon content more often than not and outside of dungeon content you wont take enough damage to make it do enough damage to justify the long cooldown.

I disagreed completely. I think it is one of our most powerful tools in dungeons. It allows us to do massive damage. You just need to take into consideration the retributive force that will result for the explosion. There are ways to mitigate it but using your shift and tab + divine protection. Also if you spec enough recovery you can often chain it back to back. Yeah sometimes you explode yourself but that is what soul forged is for. Just need to judge the amount of damage coming in into comparison to what you can take. Just my opinion. I never take it off my bar for solo dungeons or pvp.
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think dmg reduction isn't working on last 2s, though im not 100% sure. Also noticed that SF sometimes doesnt proc (i die while it's up) or getting 5 injuries from single death and other weird things.
    edited May 2015
    barginn wrote: »
    The only thing that log proves is that you pulled 12 mobs in WoD and stood in the aimed shot. Use heals while it's running. Keep those temp HP up. 12 mobs shouldn't even be a challenge. I haven't tried it in any T2, but in level 73 areas there's no comparison to fighting without it.

Speaking as protection paladin, of course. I suppose results may vary by paragon path if you're actually trying to tank.

If anyone has any hard numbers on this, I'd be happy to read what they have to say. The ability "basically" does what it says, aside from the taunt; it works well enough that I have personally zero inclination to load up ACT and nitpick about it. I'll leave that to our local theorycrafting heroes and browse their findings with mild curiosity.

Meanwhile, I'll be the guy standing in the middle of the 20-30 thayans in the HE, stealing your aggro, taking full combat advantage damage, and inexplicably not dying.

lol. you do understand it was testing, don't you? i did nothing at all except click binding oath i even took out weapon enchantment and only used templar's wrath just not to die until binding oath fully procs. "basically" lol.

it takes me almost twice as longer to finish any daily lair if i'm using binding oath instead of circle of power/ relentless avenger/bane.
    edited May 2015
    lol.

lol.

Jokes aside, your original question was pretty vague. You said nothing about testing yourself. You claimed no specific knowledge of the topic. You can accept that some players have had good experience with it, and accept their input, or troll and demean.

I'll be out there kicking *** while you die in WoD.
  • kolbathinkolbathin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Going to echo above poster.

Binding Oath is easily the best encounter OP has both in PvE and PvP.

Just carry alot of portable altars and injury kits :)

BTW yes its a bit funky with extra injuries sometimes and not proccing Soul Forged, and sometimes double proccing it.

I think its because with CD reduction from justice capstone,echos and ect when you double stack it it goes into some weird loop.

Still even with its kinks, SOO good :)
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd recommend to still use it in dungeons as it's a potent weapon. DO NOT use it against any Boss in which you cannot return to the battle (Like final bosses, Twin Scorps). To me, it's like a 1 in 10 shot at dieing even after the battle has just ended ( which is funny). :o
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So this is a point of discussion. I agree Binding Oath is very powerful. It's so powerful in fact that it can wipe an entire party :)

I don't know whether it's a bug or just a huge damage spike that's causing it, but if the tank messes up their rotation just a tiny bit, they'll blow up. I was healing an POP on my DOP and he was using this skill. If he blew up on trash, it was fine...no big deal. But if he blew up on a boss, the group would wipe. We were experiencing a lot of wipes on the last boss of eGWD, and 90% of the time, Binding Oath was killing our tank.

So it's a trade-off. You're a ticking time bomb that can do a lot of damage, but you can also wipe the group.

In my humble opinion, I think the tank should let the DPS do the DPS. I know more damage is more better, but when one skill can essentially randomly wipe the group, I think it's a bit too risky.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • jesspincijesspinci Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    So this is a point of discussion. I agree Binding Oath is very powerful. It's so powerful in fact that it can wipe an entire party :)

I agree to a point. You should be very sure about how much damage you are able to take on the explosion. The thing is it is not only a dps tool. It also is 8 seconds of invulnerability which can be huge. If you are justice and have high enough recovery you can overlap it as well which can make the bomb real dangerous but 10+ seconds of invul is usually worth it.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree, I think it's when you overlap it that it seems to exponentially increase the damage. I haven't done any ACT parses, but I've gone from full health + temp hitpoints + SF still up to instantly dead even with sanctuary up. So use with care and try not to overlap usage in a closed boss fight.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yeah, i've came to similar assumptions as yours especially this:

almost everyhting whats written in tooltip is wrong:

1. it doesn't force mobs to attack you.
    2. it doesn't absorb all damage, only 70-80%
    3. it's says you deal 50*20=10% absorbed damage back while on smaller mobs it's partially true but as you see in screenshot above there is now way i absorbed (43077*12+143589)/0.1=6605130 dmg in 6s timespan.
    4. it also damages yourself (why is that even possible?) the most out of all hits.

you get full damage during binding oath you are immune to it and at the end you get the 50% of it .
    i let lostmauth to bite me during binding oath i didnt lose hp at the end of the spell returned me the 50%.
  • equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »

I don't know whether it's a bug or just a huge damage spike that's causing it, but if the tank messes up their rotation just a tiny bit, they'll blow up. I was healing an POP on my DOP and he was using this skill. If he blew up on trash, it was fine...no big deal. But if he blew up on a boss, the group would wipe. We were experiencing a lot of wipes on the last boss of eGWD, and 90% of the time, Binding Oath was killing our tank.

So it's a trade-off. You're a ticking time bomb that can do a lot of damage, but you can also wipe the group.

In my humble opinion, I think the tank should let the DPS do the DPS. I know more damage is more better, but when one skill can essentially randomly wipe the group, I think it's a bit too risky.

Hence one of the reason why I was never the tank, I do dps and heal only and thank goodness I do not blow up. :)
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)