test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Serious: Gameclient.exe cannot be closed, GPU keeps busy

nedruodnedruod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 31
edited May 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
For the past few weeks I've experienced an error where sometimes I could not close the Arc client. Choosing exit presents the message "Arc cannot close while there is an operation running. Please ensure that you are not running or installing a game and try again.".

Upon further investigation, looking at task manager, I'll find a copy of "GameClient (32 bit)". It's usually using between 700-800 MB of memory. Yes, to the obvious question, I have exited the game, yet it never killed the process. Worse yet, I am unable by any means other than a full system restart to kill that process. Choosing End Task in Task Manager has no effect, not even a warning message. I've also found the processes PID and tried:

taskkill /PID xxxx /F

Which provides the response:

ERROR: The process with PID xxxx could not be terminated.
Reason: Access is denied.

In addition to this problem, I notice that my system fan runs nearly continuously. Task manager shows low CPU utilization, but it seems probable that either the GPU remains active, or the CPU is forced out of a low power state. This appears to happen nearly every time I run Neverwinter, whether short or long. I am still able to start up Neverwinter after the error occurs, it appears to detect something and force me to enter my password at the patching dialog, but exiting will not remove the extra GameClient process.
Post edited by nedruod on

Comments

• escatonescaton Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I sometimes had this problem as well, Gameclient.exe would stay in memory after exiting the game and nothing short of a system restart could get rid of it. Very annoying. The only solution to the problem I found was to simply stop using Arc. With running Neverwinter directly I've never had this problem anymore.
  • chaoticrisischaoticrisis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've also had this happen since the launch of mod 6. Never encountered it before that (don't ask me how that's related - I have absolutely no idea). It's exactly the same so I won't repeat what you already stated, I'm just going to add that for some reason when I do the final boss in Lostmauth's Lair - Lostmauth himself my RAM usage gradually goes up until it reaches critical levels at which point the game exits itself and for at least 1 or 2 minutes my RAM usage stays at 97% up until it finally registers the game has been closed and goes down to normal again. Here's the fun thing though, I don't need to finish the fight for this to happen, I don't need to fight for long in there for it to happen - I just need to start the encounter/fight and regardless of the outcome of the fight (wipe/win) and regardless of running any fights after that or doing anything at all it'll start the process of inflating my RAM usage until I either close the game or it reaches critical and closes the game on its own.

I have to re-log between fights when we wipe and after the fight when we win and even then I sometimes end up having the GameClient.exe just staying on the background not being able to close it by any means except a system restart. I have no idea if it's related somehow as it happens on random.

Recently I've discovered that entering Sharandar and doing only Arcane Reservoir (the weekly quest there) does the same thing to my RAM usage. Might be just some bad chemistry between my system specs and the game because I haven't seen many (if any) people complain about something like this. I do, however, have received complaints from my guild members about their CPU and GPU fans running wild after both those as well, so there might be something to it overall.
  • smokewillrisesmokewillrise Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2015
    I have also encountered this issue, much more often since the release of Mod 6. It does not matter if I use the ARC client or not. I can tell that the issue is coming when my system 1) begins to lag more than normal, and 2) I begin to get a static (or crackling) in my audio.

My method of resolution is to make multiple attempts at closing the process tree through task manger (when my memory usage gets below 700k, it will close).
  • evilbob22evilbob22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I've seen the problem from the original post as well -- lag and RAM issues, while important, are unrelated. From what I can tell, the GameClient.exe lockup happens when the server connection times out after playing for some time first (i.e. there is no lockup when it is never able to connect). I don't know if it is related, but from other posts, I've seen that TeamViewer can cause issues, and TeamViewer 9 is running on my system (although killing the TV 9 processes and stopping the service did not allow a locked GameClient.exe to be stopped).

The taskkill command failed for nedruod because there is a child process also running. When you add the /T parameter to include child processes it is able to stop the parent and child. But, both immediately start back up again (which also explains why killing from the task scheduler gives no error, but seems to do nothing).

For the past week or so, I have been launching Neverwinter.exe directly, per escaton's suggestion. GameClient.exe has not locked once for me, including two occasions where I lost connection to the server. To me, this is a strong indication that it is likely the Arc client failing to notice that the game is done when it terminates in an unexpected way.
  • zefirootzefiroot Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    Mentioned here happens to me too. Cant close arc after quiting, but task manag. resolves it. Also I have noticed computer overheating and fan working constantly and heavy. Also game disconnects at Sharandar or Dread ring even when starting playing. Also heavy lag. Stopped arcpluggins at startup with ccleaner and for two days I dont have lag!?