test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is control bonus ? And is it worth increasing ?

irapeyairapeya Member Posts: 90 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm asking because i have extra 65% control bonus right now and i cant feel difference at all.
Post edited by irapeya on

Comments

• Options
    mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Control bonus:
    Some classes have skill trees that have "control" effects. Especially CW and TR. They make the mob have behavior that isn't in the mobs best interests, like they attack other of their buddies, or they are stunned, or knocked prone or suspended in the air etc. They may run away in fear or "other" behavior that the player "controlled" the mobs actions.

The control "bonus" will either make the effect longer, or make the mobs resistance to the effect less. If the mob had a resistance or a saving roll the "bonus" made them less resistant. If it was a unresistable player skill, say a knock or prone or stun then the bonus "might" increase duration of the effect etc.

Control resist:
    Is the stat used by a player over the normal saving throw you would get. Certain races/classes get increased control resist to x, y or z "control" effects. Some pets effect control resist, some skills do as well. For example a sylph (I think that's the pet name) adds a +50% control duration resistance. So if a mob would make you feared, or stunned etc. Having that pet active would cut that effect duration in half.
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    irapeya wrote: »
    The thing is...
    I have 15% Control Bonus from Wisp (Which i just noticed was ninja nerfed from 25%)
    25% Control Bonus from Cantankerous Mage
    15% from Valindras set

And i cant feel any difference from my control powers.

Go into Trade of Blades.
    Use encounter powers on target dummy, with and without your control bonuses.
    You will see the difference.

For CW, test with entangling force.
    For HR, test with constricting arrow.

Will-o-Wisp has always been 25% control resist and 15% control bonus.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    it doesn't work. tested on dummy and live mobs

w/ 20% control bonus
    freeze = 6 sec
    steal time = 4 sec

without bonus
    freeze 6sec
    steal time 4sec

it's completely broken. surprise!
  • Options
    juniorbrk#9896 juniorbrk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dont forget the control resist
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Entangling Force is benefiting from control bonus. I can keep a dummy entangled forever. As for other effects, its barely noticeable and am quite focused on control (Val set, companions, 2 artifacts, high wis, offhand bonus). SotEA knockdown behaves rly weirdly - sometimes the same mobs are knocked down for ~1 sec, sometimes for ~3, but i think that knockdown ignores any CC resist/bonuses, so the issue is somewhere else.

But since the effects are lasting but a few seconds, 20% bonus means nothing, especially on a mob/PC with control resistance - u would have to measure it in miliseconds, which may help in a 1v1 PvP situation, not as much during PvE. Also the "lags"/server-client responses are so bad nowadays its rly hard to measure it.

Am too lazy to, and never bothered myself to, rly test it, yet either heavily focus on control, or leave it and boost other stats instead.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    20% should be easily noticeable.
    it's not.

at all.

if there is any bonus whatever it's more down at like 2%

again, tested on the dummy and live mobs.

some live mobs "elites" seem to have a 50% control resist, meaning CC lasts only half as long (3 vs 6 sec for freeze etc)

but other mobs should be VERY easy to tell if 20% is working or not. 6 seconds tested, every time, it should be OVER 7.2 seconds with 20%+.. that's a 1.2 sec won't require an atomic clock to detect..

it's broken period.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If u r expecting 100% CC bonus doubling the freeze time, guess what: that wont happen, period. It more or less looks like the same as 100% speed bonus during crafting, which halves the time. Thus 20% bonus for a 6 sec effect makes the effect last for 6.6 sec (9 at 100% bonus). Thats still mere half second ull have hard time to properly measure ingame.

Am not saying it works exactly like that, but its more likely than expecting 6 sec disable becoming 9 at 50% bnus (12 at 100%). And my quick test now on a dummy proves it works, ~55% bonus making like ~1,5 sec difference on freeze lasting ~5,5 sec otherwise.

PS: could do more testing, with OoI and other skills but, as i mentioned, am too lazy to; there sure are other fans all thrilled to do so (who most likely did already);
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At the moment, as far as I can tell control bonuses are completely non-functional. I play a trapper HR (you know, the class that causes endless please-nerf-this threads) and most players I hit with roots in pvp are rooted/stunned for barely a fraction of a second - even the ones that send me abusive pms later. I have about a total of 50% control bonus from wisdom, equipment, feats and boons and I don't notice any increase from the stated minimum even in pve. I can't say whether it works for rogues - I haven't played my scoundrel since mod 6 - or other classes. It would certainly be nice if they actually showed characters' control bonus on the character sheet....
  • Options
    twoedge1twoedge1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It would certainly be nice if they actually showed characters' control bonus on the character sheet....

Yeah I wish they would add that as well.
  • Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sangrine wrote: »
    Go into Trade of Blades.
    Use encounter powers on target dummy, with and without your control bonuses.
    You will see the difference.

For CW, test with entangling force.
    For HR, test with constricting arrow.

Will-o-Wisp has always been 25% control resist and 15% control bonus.
    right now hr roots are broken with control bonus and isnt affected by more. just so you know.
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At the moment, as far as I can tell control bonuses are completely non-functional. I play a trapper HR (you know, the class that causes endless please-nerf-this threads) and most players I hit with roots in pvp are rooted/stunned for barely a fraction of a second - even the ones that send me abusive pms later. I have about a total of 50% control bonus from wisdom, equipment, feats and boons and I don't notice any increase from the stated minimum even in pve. I can't say whether it works for rogues - I haven't played my scoundrel since mod 6 - or other classes. It would certainly be nice if they actually showed characters' control bonus on the character sheet....

As a pve CW, with 25% (upgraded Cantankerous Mage) + 15% (Will-of-the-Wisp) + 5% (Wisdom) + 10% (boon) + 15% (Valindra set) + 5% (from Valindra's Crown Shard control bonus), the control bonus is effective enough that I can walk around mobs while they are stunned from Steal Time or Frozen from Icy Terrain. My other CW has no bonuses (other than 5% Wisdom) and it's real obvious the difference.

A quick way to test is: slot no companions & no skill boosts/gear/boons on preview, go the Dread Ring dummies and cast Entangling force, the dummies appear to have no resistance, so just time how long the dummy hangs in the air. Re-slot all the boons/skills/companions and repeat the test, timing the durration. My numbers match my 70% boost fairly well.

Orb of Opposition is bugged, doesn't get the correct bonus if you are Oppressor. Also Shard of Endless Advance is bugged for the duration of the prone (long thread about this back in mod3 when the damage was nerfed on shard, the duration of the prone was supposed to be buffed, but doesn't work reliably).
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As a pve CW, with 25% (upgraded Cantankerous Mage) + 15% (Will-of-the-Wisp) + 5% (Wisdom) + 10% (boon) + 15% (Valindra set) + 5% (from Valindra's Crown Shard control bonus), the control bonus is effective enough that I can walk around mobs while they are stunned from Steal Time or Frozen from Icy Terrain.

Are these T2 mobs?
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    Are these T2 mobs?

No, T2 mobs are fairly resistant. You have to test against mobs with 0% to get a base number then try mobs in WoD/IWD HE's (similar to T2's from what I can tell). On T2 mobs, I get barely enough time to cast the next spell (instead of dying).
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    maegmaag wrote: »
    If u r expecting 100% CC bonus doubling the freeze time, guess what: that wont happen, period. It more or less looks like the same as 100% speed bonus during crafting, which halves the time. Thus 20% bonus for a 6 sec effect makes the effect last for 6.6 sec (9 at 100% bonus). Thats still mere half second ull have hard time to properly measure ingame.

Am not saying it works exactly like that, but its more likely than expecting 6 sec disable becoming 9 at 50% bnus (12 at 100%). And my quick test now on a dummy proves it works, ~55% bonus making like ~1,5 sec difference on freeze lasting ~5,5 sec otherwise.

PS: could do more testing, with OoI and other skills but, as i mentioned, am too lazy to; there sure are other fans all thrilled to do so (who most likely did already);

20% of 6 seconds is 1.2 seconds. 6 + 1.2 = 7.2 seconds.
    even counting 'thousand one, thousand two' the difference between 6 seconds and over 7 would be very obvious (except to PW coders, I guess)
  • Options
    karranorkarranor Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What about control bonus for Pally? I am working my way up and wondering if it is worth it for them.
    Main(s): Kyruel Foecrusher OP, Meriki The Mad CW, Mortalis TR, Gorebringer GWF, Karranor HR
    Loads of videos: Neverwinter Video Guides!
    Find Neverwinter Game Guides on DDM's Realm!

The Fyxt RPG combines digital convenience with the fun of a tabletop RPG. Play the Fyxt RPG now for free!

Play Smarter, Not Harder! ~ Karranor
  • Options
    thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Copy from another thread.
    thedemien wrote: »
    I have HR with 1.501k Control strength.

My general control strength come from 2 artifacts for + 567 . and + 367 from off hand. This give ~9% Control Bonus.

Crushing Roots effect on offhand now also increases your Control Bonus by 15% effect. but it is not visible in stats. so I guess it goes to final bonus.

ToD boon for +10% control strength can not be seen anywhere in stats. Same for Wis (22) is supposed to give + 12% control bonus.

For HR Control strength from equipment seems to only work for Daze effects such as disruptive and chushing roots.
    But ! Control strength has no effect on roots. at all. nada. At least I could not see it at all.
    In general I think control bonuses from Wis and Wod don'y work at all. Please tell me if Im wrong.

So yes, if you are 'perma dazed' by Hr that is cause he (or me) actually stacked Control strength and you did not stacked control resists or tenancy. It is pretty much impossible to daze char with 2.5 tenancy and some control resist.

Edit: about 100% negate mobs control resistance - I think if it works it works as recovery does - 100% recovery will 1/2 time but not make it 0. Same way as professions. Plus mobs seem to do have some control resistance cause control does not work on same type mobs 100% of time. Can be bugs also too.

in general seems that only gear bonus has noticeable effect on some powers for HR. I do see effect on daze but not the roots. Roots are broken 100%.
    Also Wis on testing from 15 to 22 (+7%) does not really give any noticeable to me
    We do need devs to clarify all this mess
  • Options
    tvcitytvcity Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    didn't bother to read all the posts...simply put, control bonus should increase the effective control duration...like the duration an enemy goes prone or gets stunned.
    since most enemies in mod 6 are suuuuper (crowd) control resistant, i don't think it's worth increasing...
  • Options
    neirgaraneirgara Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    irapeya wrote: »
    I'm asking because i have extra 65% control bonus right now and i cant feel difference at all.

I had the same doubts. But then I went to a dummy and did some testing.

Without any control Entangling Force on Tab holds the dummy for about 5 seconds. With 55% control (Cantankerous Mage, Will o the Wisp and Class Feature) Entangling Force works for 7-8 seconds.

I also see that increase in time for Oppressing Force, Freeze, the stund from Steal Time and the Stun of Immolation (with the feat from Opressor tree). I'm not sure about the stun from Icy Rays, but that one is very short so it's entirely possible that I just can't sense it.

Also tried that with control effects of TR like Skullcracker and with control effects of GF. For both it worked the same.

+50% control bonus means +50% control time.

So you see, it actually works on CW and TR (can't say anything about other classes as I did not test it. But I believe it works for every class except HR whose control seems to be a bit buggy).

If you can't feel a difference while playing, then possibly thats because you don't have a good feeling for control. But that is ok. Just drop the increasing items and companions and change them for something you like more. I myself do without control bonus as only my freezing ability would profit, but I do so much damage that frozen opponents get unfrozen nearly instantly.

Where you can not use the same math is control resist. That works like the time bonus of professions. +100% Control resist means you uncontrol yourself with double speed, which means you arrive at your goal in half the time (-50% control uptime)

I hope that helps a bit. :)
  • Options
    neopat2neopat2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    200 % of zero = zero
    if you ave 500 resist control 200% = 1000
    you ave to grow your resist control then elwin battle double this effect
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    walk2k wrote: »
    20% of 6 seconds is 1.2 seconds. 6 + 1.2 = 7.2 seconds.
    even counting 'thousand one, thousand two' the difference between 6 seconds and over 7 would be very obvious (except to PW coders, I guess)

Ur reading comprehension sux. Ur ability to comprehend what others are saying sux. Either try harder, or just get used to dying without ever understanding a single sentence.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jimmyhar wrote: »
    Woo! Way to go!
    With that and $10 I can buy a coffee....

Well, this out of context troll note has a point?
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Ur reading comprehension sux. Ur ability to comprehend what others are saying sux. Either try harder, or just get used to dying without ever understanding a single sentence.

both those first 2 sentences mean the same thing, my reading comprehension is just fine, it's your writing skills that severely lack.

how hard do you need to "try" to understand basic math?

6 x .2 = 1.2

6 + 1.2 = 7.2

see? that wasn't hard. hope that clears everything up for you. now GFY
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    walk2k wrote: »
    both those first 2 sentences mean the same thing, my reading comprehension is just fine, it's your writing skills that severely lack.

how hard do you need to "try" to understand basic math?

6 x .2 = 1.2

6 + 1.2 = 7.2

see? that wasn't hard. hope that clears everything up for you. now GFY

Ive clearly explained it does not work like this. But i guess we r done here, bye.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
  • Options
    neirgaraneirgara Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ive clearly explained it does not work like this. But i guess we r done here, bye.

No, you did not explain, you just said the math works like it does with professions, which seems to be based completely on assuptions and is wrong, because testing it on a dummy shows it. (Your math is only right with CC resist, and I explained why that is so)

If you still insist on your assumptions, please offer us some proof.

Only thing where you are correct is your argument of not being able to feel the difference while fighting mobs, because of strong CC resist.
  • Options
    gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Some items increase control bonus as a percent. Others increase control bonus by a base stat. The thing about a percent increase is a 200 or even 1,000,000 percent increase of zero is still zero. The difference between those here who notice a big difference from a control bonus percent increase and those who don't may be reflective of their base stat prior to the percent increase.

Personally I have a cw with base stat boosts and percentage boosts. This is boosted by a build and skill choices which trigger control bonus effects frequently as well. He kills slow because other stats have been sacrificed but in some areas of the game mobs are frozen so much it's like fighting statues. Then I have other cw chars which hardly ever manage to control anything at all but I haven't designed them to because it doesn't make sense. Keeping one mob in a stranglehold a few seconds longer while the others are hitting you is a small improvement compared to having an entire group of mobs frozen into statues for the same amount of time for example.

Is boosting control bonus percent worth it? Depends on whether you've boosted the base stat, your build, whether the skills you use apply it, your preferred playing style and the situation you're in, and maybe more.

In short, 'It depends'.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    [snip]
    ... And my quick test now on a dummy proves it works, ~55% bonus making like ~1,5 sec difference on freeze lasting ~5,5 sec otherwise.

At least ive tried, compared to all the BS all around posted.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6