test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weapon Enchants for Hunters

quaffliciousquafflicious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Wilds
Now I would have to say, after using both, that Plaguefire is vastly superior to Vorpal for a Trapper Hunter. And I was using rank 9 for both.

Now don't get me wrong, vorpal is absolutely amazing for DPS, but as hunters we do not crit hard enough to warrant a boost to our crits, even at +50% with rank 10. I'm lucky to even see anything over 13k with my Constricting Arrow on root-immune targets in epic dungeons. This enchant is just not worth acquiring for a Trapper Hunter.

Now the Plaguefire enchant on the other hand is definitely something you should invest in getting. With all the AoE based attacks that hunters throw out, we can keep multiple stacks up the debuff on multiple targets, allowing increased damage done to them by all players in the group. Yeah, your DPS isn't going up as much, but the combined damage done for the group is. I have noticed with running Plaguefire, over Vorpal, that the runs go smoother as targets end up taking more damage and die faster.

This is just my 2 cents from my experience with using both enchants.
Post edited by quafflicious on

Comments

• blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    if they fix the arm pen bug for us i believe vorpal will be much better. but otherwise i agree plus with plaguefire overstacking at times.im so sorry about this comment i hadnt noticed this was the xbox forum i apologize.
  • arlequin13arlequin13 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    But what if im a selfish trapper that secretly relishes the fact my rogue guild mates go to sleep at night crying over the fact they cannot out dps me? Why would i help them ? Mwahaahhaha
  • trappy1026trappy1026 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    I have the same exact sentiment OP, I was using normal vorpal for a while, got a lesser plauge, decided to upgrade it to normal plague, and haven't looked back since. Plus my Golden Dragon's Tooth looks extra <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now.

It's a tricky thing to think about, the stat differences. PArtially because I'm mathically as useful as a broken abacus. So you get extra crit severity, ok cool, but that still depends on how much you crit. Say I'm critting at 35%, when I hit that crit, I get a 25% damage increase on the crit.

Now plaguefire, I can have up to 30% defense reduction on multiple enemies, plus the 5.5% (iirc) damage increase from the fire.

Plaguefire seems to be optimal anyway. In PvP obviously an argument can be made for vorpal, but still depends on how you play. I like to aoe root on 2, so plaguefire will still make it easier to kill enemies for me and my team.
  • justxthextipjustxthextip Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I run a full Trapper build, had the rank 9 PF for awhile, switched to a Perfect Vorpal and the difference is astronomical. Yes for more party buff/debuffs PF can come in handy and there really isn't a right or wrong answer here. I recommend PF over anything but a perfect Vorpal however, because I did not notice enough of a difference until I got the Vorpal perfect. I've noticed a 20k difference in Crit's on bosses and Mobs. What used to be 30-45k is now 50-65k. I would be interested to test out a perfect PF to see how much of a jump it is from a Rank 9, keep in mind there's a 1 level difference from my observations.
  • darqueronindarqueronin Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think for PvP, Plaguefire FTW!
  • quaffliciousquafflicious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    arlequin13 wrote: »
    But what if im a selfish trapper that secretly relishes the fact my rogue guild mates go to sleep at night crying over the fact they cannot out dps me? Why would i help them ? Mwahaahhaha

I still beat the rogues with my Plaguefire. :P
  • quaffliciousquafflicious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I run a full Trapper build, had the rank 9 PF for awhile, switched to a Perfect Vorpal and the difference is astronomical. Yes for more party buff/debuffs PF can come in handy and there really isn't a right or wrong answer here. I recommend PF over anything but a perfect Vorpal however, because I did not notice enough of a difference until I got the Vorpal perfect. I've noticed a 20k difference in Crit's on bosses and Mobs. What used to be 30-45k is now 50-65k. I would be interested to test out a perfect PF to see how much of a jump it is from a Rank 9, keep in mind there's a 1 level difference from my observations.

This goes back to what I said. Having those big crits is nice, but Trappers do not crit often enough to warrant the use of Vorpal. The majority of our damage is DoT and those don't crit. Even against bosses, lowering it's defense compared to critting harder is far more favorable to you and the party.
  • xstonedassasinxxstonedassasinx Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This goes back to what I said. Having those big crits is nice, but Trappers do not crit often enough to warrant the use of Vorpal. The majority of our damage is DoT and those don't crit. Even against bosses, lowering it's defense compared to critting harder is far more favorable to you and the party.
    While I agree with everything you say about pf being better saying our dot's don't crit is just false. Mine crit, especially roots which have a nice little mechanic that if the first one crits the rest will also crit.
  • trappy1026trappy1026 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Kinda wanna take a step back from my last post. Just got a greater Vorpal, and it absolutely kicks ***.. especially noticeable in PvP. Perfect man I can't imagine. Can't wait til I get that sucker.

Also yeah the DoTs and roots can crit. My roots crit for like 7/8K in pvp. And my Careful Attack DoT can crit for around 1.2-1.5K. I've tested on dummies.

Edit: Also, I'm Half Orc (+5% innate crit sev) and will be picking up the final boon in howevermany weeks which at first gives another 5% crit severity(to start). So eventually I'll be at 80% (now) +5% + 50% = 135% crit severity. Not bad.
  • j0kerspsychoj0kerspsycho Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ive ran GV and norm plague, i liked the plague but i think people aren't enchanting right with PF. With GPF you have a 45% reduction in defense of what you hit. so that turns that persons armor from reducing damage from 26% to 15% so all you would need is 15% armpen. Then with that you can stack power out the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>$ thus increasing your damage. Ive yet to test this to see its accuracy but in theory it should do well. For the lazy man i suggest PV, thats what ive done up till now anyways.
    Step into the madhouse
    Aldren Boweing - 60 HR
  • katozeekatozee Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2015
    I use a Greater Plague Fire and in my seasoned age i'm starting to let wisdom win through, by actively supporting the party more rather further increasing the damage difference between me and the rest of party (the novelty starts to wear off after a while).

Aspect of the pack rather than twin blade stormm was even considering using a full draconic set to help ap gain and switching constricting arrow with binding arrow just to help keep people alive. I may snap out of it, but for PvE I would always recomend Plague Fire
  • alliera7311alliera7311 Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    what armor pen bug?
    Guild: TLO GH 20
    Main: EMERALD LEGEND
  • prettyflacko1prettyflacko1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Always stuck with PF and didn't even consider Vorpal. Been thinking of how well a lightning enchantment would work though, any thoughts? Only reason I even considered something else is because the same rank of PF don't stack on each other. What I mean is that if two people in a party are running Lesser PF then they don't stack, however a Lesser and Greater PF or regular PF would stack. I run a Lesser PF and almost always see someone else also running a Lesser PF.
  • arexarex Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I've tried a Greater Lightning and from what I can tell, it doesn't proc on the roots DoT so I switched back to my Perfect Vorpal. I've heard the argument that we Trappers just don't crit often enough to warrent a Vorpal, I routinely use Rapid Shot / Rapid Strike to fill gaps in CD Reduction and with a crit chance just shy of 45%, fully buffed, I will see 5-figure crits once per second or so.
    If you are a trapper you should not be using rapid shot. The only at will you should try to use is careful attack beacuse it ticks PF that much more.
    Except I'm not using PF, I'm using PVorp so having a higher number of opportunities to crit pays off. I do use Hunters/Careful, but given that our cooldown reduction is still bugged when using encounter powers that have multiple charges, I find that I need to hit a few at-wills around every two rotations.
    I have not ran into that problem. Only time I personally use at wills is if I mess up my rotation. Rest of the time it is Carefull Attack at the end of the melee rotation or at the start of the fight so it doesn't take away stacks of the Serpent, and mainly on big targets that have descent uptime.
    I originally thought it was just some errant button mashing on my part but I have noticed that it regularly occurs, maybe the order of my rotation is what is causing it. I'll have to play around with it some more.
    I noticed it today only seems to do that without a group. My advice only use them at the end of a melee or ranged rotation so you don't take away from your serpent stacks. Honestly though i just use that time to dodge or position myself for combat advantage and assume rotation.