test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do professions?

jripoljripol Member Posts: 10 Arc User
Can someone help me understand why I should continue to do profession tasks. Except for the XP I am getting form Leadership, and the pant and shirt upgrades from Leatherworking, I cannot see any reason to spend any time, currency or materials on professions.

Please help me understand what their purpose is. Thank you.
Post edited by jripol on

Comments

• getphazedgetphazed Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jripol wrote: »
    Can someone help me understand why I should continue to do profession tasks. Except for the XP I am getting form Leadership, and the pant and shirt upgrades from Leatherworking, I cannot see any reason to spend any time, currency or materials on professions.

Jewlcrafting for bop rings, alchemy for better potions, leadership for diamonds etc. Make socketed shirt/pants and sell = profit.
  • traumapaladintraumapaladin Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2015

I sell pants for 100 to 200k depending on the day. So if you want to rake in tons of Astral Diamonds with little to no risk then get one to 20 and start crafting items people need.
  • jripoljripol Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So people actually buy crafted items? Every other MMO I have played you spend lots of time and materials to get maxed professions so you can make one item that only you can use. Since I could not tell what I could make at the max level of the professions I was worried that I was doing all this for the same bunch of nothing. Thank you.
    edited May 2015
    Best shirt and trouser items in the game are only created by crafting. best rings and necklaces are as well. to be fair half the professions are pretty useless, but the other half roll in bank.
  • ancojoancojo Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Is it Leatherworking or Tailoring for the pants and shirt?

Thanks
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Since I could not tell what I could make at the max level of the professions I was worried that I was doing all this for the same bunch of nothing. Thank you.

Filter button, top screen second button, uncheck hide high level tasks, uncheck hide tasks with unmet requirements. You will be able to see every task, except for the rare hourly tasks. Recheck when done looking to keep manageable.
    edited May 2015
    ancojo wrote: »
    Is it Leatherworking or Tailoring for the pants and shirt?

Thanks

Leatherworking, Tailoring, Mailsmith, Platesmith all have pant/shirt for their respective armor type. You would start with the type that is for your character.
    edited May 2015
    Best shirt and trouser items in the game are only created by crafting. best rings and necklaces are as well. to be fair half the professions are pretty useless, but the other half roll in bank.

To be fair, only the weapon (2) (artificing and weaponsmithing) are useless. Dragon Bone and Artifact weapons killed them. All of the others (7) armor (4), Jewelery (1), Leadership (1) and Alchemy (1) are useful or profitable.
    edited May 2015
    zephyriah wrote: »
    To be fair, only the weapon (2) (artificing and weaponsmithing) are useless. Dragon Bone and Artifact weapons killed them. All of the others (7) armor (4), Jewelery (1), Leadership (1) and Alchemy (1) are useful or profitable.
    Leadership in comparison to all of the other professions you mentioned is table scraps in comparison. Primarily due to how much longer it takes to level to max level than most of the other professions and the less profitable rewards from it. Haven't looked into alchemy enough to really agree or disagree.
    edited May 2015
    Leadership in comparison to all of the other professions you mentioned is table scraps in comparison. Primarily due to how much longer it takes to level to max level than most of the other professions and the less profitable rewards from it.

You are seriously underestimating it. All of the other professions are rarely worth having on more than one character per account. So, if you are only going to be using the two free slots, you are probably correct. But, for any amount of characters over two, leadership is the only profession that is worthwhile to have on every character on the account.

Leadership earns AD passively. Set tasks, say twice a day, even with common quality workers and using no consumables (maps, mining claims, etc) at level 20 (with only 6 slots) you would earn 12000 AD per day per character, invoke three times and you are up to 14000. With higher quality workers, all nine slots and setting tasks more frequently it is possible to hit the AD refining limit on each character doing nothing but leadership.

The other professions, barring Alchemy, may have the ability to create a bigger payday but Leadership just keeps plugging along with little to no effort. It takes a little longer to payoff, but once it does it just keeps on giving.
  • reallyreconreallyrecon Member Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    You are seriously underestimating it. All of the other professions are rarely worth having on more than one character per account. So, if you are only going to be using the two free slots, you are probably correct. But, for any amount of characters over two, leadership is the only profession that is worthwhile to have on every character on the account.

Leadership earns AD passively. Set tasks, say twice a day, even with common quality workers and using no consumables (maps, mining claims, etc) at level 20 (with only 6 slots) you would earn 12000 AD per day per character, invoke three times and you are up to 14000. With higher quality workers, all nine slots and setting tasks more frequently it is possible to hit the AD refining limit on each character doing nothing but leadership.

The other professions, barring Alchemy, may have the ability to create a bigger payday but Leadership just keeps plugging along with little to no effort. It takes a little longer to payoff, but once it does it just keeps on giving.

That being said, it's the last you should level on your main and the first for your alts. I made the mistake of taking Leadership first after doing a LOT of research prior to release, and it was a complete waste of my time. Almost every thread I could find on advice for beginners said to level Leadership first. DON'T.

The AD return is absolutely abysmal pre-20, and if you actually play (even for an hour a day) and do your dailies you'll have no problem hitting your refining limit on your main. I have a 400k rough backlog right now, and it's going up, not down. Meanwhile, I'm sitting back and watching all of my guildies get best-in-slot rings/necks, loads of AD from selling gemmed shirts/pants, and better PvP potions from Alchemy.

Leadership is only useful on your alts and it's the last you should level on your main, barring Weapons/Artificing. If I could do it all over again I'd max Jewelcrafting, Mailsmithing (Cleric shirt/pants), Alchemy, and then Leatherworking/Platesmithing/Tailoring in that order.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    Gamertag: ReallyRecon
  • waffennachtwaffennacht Member Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Really glad i found this topic.
    Im not really sure on this, could you guys point out a few of the things worth doing?
    The leadership ability can get you enchantment stuff that would normally cost zen right?
    I see that necklace and clothing are worth it.
    Hey also, how do you guys get your professionals? Ive basically given up on using the vault of piety profession box cuz i keep getting junk, is this another good use of leadership?
    edited May 2015
    The leadership ability can get you enchantment stuff that would normally cost zen right?

What do you mean by "enchantment stuff"? Enchantments like Azure, Silvery, Radiant, etc, can be acquired a number of ways; the easiest way to obtain them is to buy them off of the Trade House (Rank 6's are cheap - 6k to 9k AD) or to farm for them and upgrade them yourself. They don't cost Zen at all. I have no idea what else you could be referring to.
    Hey also, how do you guys get your professionals? Ive basically given up on using the vault of piety profession box cuz i keep getting junk, is this another good use of leadership?

Profession Assets come from Profession Packs you can either buy with Zen, or obtain by chance from opening lockboxes. You can also buy them from the Trade House, though the higher the rarity the more expensive they are, especially because the game is only a month old on Xbox so the market isn't flooded with them yet. I'm not even sure if you can obtain them from Leadership - you can get Chests with rewards in them, but those are resources, not assets.

That being said, you don't need anything more than the White quality assets you can make yourself to get to level 20 or make a profit from professions. The only thing a higher rarity (Green/Blue/Purple) asset will get you is faster task completion times and a good task or two per profession. They're not required at all.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    edited May 2015
    I made the mistake of taking Leadership first after listening to advice like this, and it was a complete waste of my time.

Sounds like you read it but didn't understand it. Read it again. Nowhere do I recommend taking leadership on the first two characters or even taking it as first profession. To rephrase: I said if you go over two, since most of the other profession do not need more than one per account, leadership should be on all of additionals. I stand by that.
    edited May 2015
    Sounds like you read it but didn't understand it. Read it again. Nowhere do I recommend taking leadership on the first two characters or even taking it as first profession. To rephrase: I said if you go over two, since most of the other profession do not need more than one per account, leadership should be on all of additionals. I stand by that.

Sorry, I just skimmed through it. I edited my original comment so that it says what I intended.
    Recon - 60 Cleric
    edited May 2015
    Really glad i found this topic.

Do not get the Vault of Piety box. Contrary to another post, The Vault of Piety box only gives resources you will NEVER get a worker or a tool. The game uses two terms for crafting, assets which are the tools and people used, and resources which are everything else. If you need a boost to your residuum, they can be worth it, but not for much else. Everything else in the VOP box can be found in skill kits.
  • telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Basically, do potions, tailoring and jewel-crafting while you're playing, but when you're heading to bed, work or school, put them on a leadership task.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • rcethatsmercethatsme Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    To rephrase: I said if you go over two, since most of the other profession do not need more than one per account, leadership should be on all of additionals. I stand by that.

In addition to this:
    If you do go the Leadership route. You should go to the professions dealer in the bazar at Protector’s. They have a used armor and sword that you can buy that will expend your choices and earn you more AD. They only cost about 1 gold I think.

You canalso buy some of the resources you will need for the other professions, ie coal, solvents, salts and stuff. If you have the Gold